Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Calling bands by part of their name

I fully couldn't remember what MOP's full name is as well, I don't think anyone ever calls them Mash Out Posse on the relatively rare occasions when they come up in conversation. I keep wanting to read it as Means Of Production. And ELO is Emerson Lake Orchestra, right?
lol electric light orchestra. as for MOP (ante up bangs still) I never knew the official one I just heard they said it was 'my oversized penis' in an interview taking the piss

In my youth I used to borrow LPs from the local library. One has been catalogued as 'Artist: Rapid Eye Movement'.

The Bunnymen will always be The Bunnymen, not least because they got rid of Echo before playing a gig.

Shambeko! Say Wah! went through various variations before settling upon just Wah!

Don't get me fucking started on people who just say "Silver Mt. Zion" instead of Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band with Choir! :mad: Where do people stand on initialisms, is it permissible to just say DRI and MDC instead of Dirty Rotten Imbeciles and Millions of Dead Cops?
Didn't MDC mean a number of things (maybe depending on the album they made?- I was never really in to them.)You've just reminded me that I need to listen to the DRI album, though.

Works also the other way around, eg bands using acronyms and expect their fans to fill the gaps.
INXS for a start.

Always done it. It's natural to shorten things.

The Weddoes
Kitchens
Dexys

British Sea Power did it themselves, as did Tyrannosaurus Rex, The Silver Beatles, Southern Death Cult, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ;)

Not forgetting

The Wh
ABB

And

Blu

Back
Top Bottom