Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are you excited by the new blue British passports (made in Poland)?

editor

hiraethified
Home Secretary Priti Patel holding a blue passport

Priti Patel said she “cannot wait” to travel on the new blue British passport. How about you?

Britain’s new post-Brexit blue passports will be given to applicants from next month, the Home Office announced yesterday.

What it did not say, however, was that they will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland, under EU procurement rules.

In one of the ironies of Brexit, the 11-year, £260 million contract was won by a subsidiary of the French multinational group Thales last year, after its British competitor De La Rue lost out.

As a result all the new passports will be made at the company’s factory in the Polish town of Tczew and then imported into the UK. At the time the contract was signed, the government said it would create 70 new jobs in Britain.
Fact: they could have been blue when we were in the EU, but Britain chose to the red colour.

Blue passports were introduced in 1921 and phased out after 1988 when members of the then European Economic Community agreed to harmonise designs.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the passport will "once again be entwined with our national identity".

She said Brexit had given the UK "a unique opportunity to... forge a new path in the world" and enabled a return to "the iconic blue and gold design".

The UK was never formally compelled to change the colour of its passport in the 1980s but did so with other member states.

Securing a change in the design became a rallying point for Brexit supporters, with the government announcing in December 2017 that the blue passport would return

Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck what colour my passport is so long as it gives me free and unhindered passage where I want to go. Oh wait, it was only the red one that permitted that around Europe.... :facepalm:

As it happens I need a new passport right now but I'm not sure I can be bothered to wait until the end of February or early march when the blue ones become available.

Anyhow what's the big deal about the colour of the passport?

As it happens I need a new passport right now but I'm not sure I can be bothered to wait until the end of February or early march when the blue ones become available.

Anyhow what's the big deal about the colour of the passport?
Make Britain Great Again. Or something.

Theresa May, then Prime Minister, tweeted that the “iconic” color would return, calling the U.K. passport “an expression of our independence and sovereignty—symbolizing our citizenship of a proud, great nation.” Never mind that the royal crest on the passport bears two French phrases—“honi soit qui mal y pense” (“shamed be he who thinks evil of it”) and “Dieu et mon droit” (“God and my right”)—relics of a time when the King of England also laid claim to the French crown, and evidence of the mutable character of sovereignty. For those Britons who opposed the Brexit vote, the symbolism of the blue passport is somewhat different: it’s a stark reminder that they and their children have been deprived of European citizenship. Britons no longer have the right to live, work, and study in any of the countries of the European Union. Nor will Britain be so easily enriched by the many hopeful Europeans who made their homes in what they believed was a welcoming country.

I swear I've never had a Blue passport. The old hardcover ones were black weren't they?

Anyway, I don't give the slightest fuck what colour my passport is. What difference does it make?

my old passport was black not blue. I dont know why they are insisting that the old hardback British passport was blue. In any light my old passport is definetly black. The passport I have now which expires in 2 years is burgundy.
I expect that Britain will now be punished by EU countries for having the "nerve" to leave their wonderful democratic and just institution. Just what we need for our new found freedom to be punished by the EU countries.

Back
Top Bottom