Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

With the anniversary of 9-11 tomorrow how the fuck did the US get to be on the same side as AQ? :confused:

38030544.jpg

I'll retract it if you can show me some evidence of this apparently bullshit story.

when these people are happy to broadcast to the world videos of themselves mutilating and eating corpses, among other things , beheading other victims and cooking the heads on barbecues... where is the apparent bullshit in this story .

dont bother retracting, your remark is informative

So, if it is not just Obama's male ego, then why is this self-declared friend of Islam continuing to plough this lonely and desperate furrow?

maybe he thinks doing the Saudis bidding and being Al Qaedas airforce constitutes being a friend to Islam

If the issue is simply ego then the Russian Syrian initiative to dispose of the CW is an obvious face saver he could grab onto. Had he any sense hed take it

If not we can simply assume his motivations are nothing less than sparking an all out war with definite aims, the destruction of syria, Iran and Hezbollah followed by the full scale capitulation of the freindless Palestinians . He and his freinds believe they are in an endgame, with victory in sight if they stick to their course no matter what .

when these people are happy to broadcast to the world videos of themselves mutilating and eating corpses, among other things , beheading other victims and cooking the heads on barbecues... where is the apparent bullshit in this story .

dont bother retracting, your remark is informative

I won't. Without any evidence to back up the story it just remains another piece of Assad propaganda. Which some people seem happy to spout.

Leaked Iranian letter warned US that Syrian rebels have chemical weapons

Syrian President Assad's strongest international backer, Iran, said it has warned the US about chemical weapons in rebel hands for more than a year.

As a primary backer of the Syrian government, Iran has argued vehemently against US airstrikes, warned that sectarian "fire" will spread, and that jihadi rebels may have been behind the Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack that US officials say killed more than 1,400 people near Damascus.

According to leaked diplomatic correspondence, Iran has been warning Washington since July 2012 that Sunni rebel fighters have acquired chemical weapons, and called on the US to send “an immediate and serious warning” to rebel groups not to use them.

In a letter acquired by The Christian Science Monitor that was sent sometime in the spring, Iran told American officials that, as a "supporter" of the rebels, the US would be held responsible for any rebel use of chemical weapons.

Iran amplified those year-old warnings over the weekend in its strongest public comments to date linking the rebels with a chemical weapons, echoing Russia's dismissal of American assurances that President Bashar al-Assad's forces were to blame. The comments come as the US Congress prepares to vote on military strikes.

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Middle...d-US-that-Syrian-rebels-have-chemical-weapons

Last edited:
Interview with Nader Atassi about different groups within Syria, and a bit about potential US action:

Syrian Anarchist Challenges the Rebel-Regime Binary View of Resistance
The city of Yabroud, halfway between Damascus and Homs, is the Syrian uprising's commune. Also a model of sectarian coexistence, with a large Christian population living in the city, Yabroud has become a model of autonomy and self-governance in Syria.

After the regime security forces withdrew from Yabroud in order for Assad to concentrate elsewhere, residents stepped in to fill the vacuum, declaring "we are now organizing all the aspects of the city life by ourselves [sic]." From decorating the city to renaming the school "Freedom School," Yabroud is certainly what many Syrians, myself included, hope life after Assad will look like.

Other areas controlled by reactionary jihadis paint a potentially grimmer picture of the future, but nevertheless, it is important to acknowledge that there are alternatives.
It appears things weren't what they seemed in Yabrud. Or things have changed quickly.
France24. 08/09/2013
Maaloula's ancient heritage - it is home to some of Syria’s oldest surviving monasteries - had saved it from some of the worst ravages of the civil war over the past two years.

“The regular army had established a checkpoint below, at the entrance to the village,” explained Frédéric Pichon, a Syria expert and author of a book on the Christians of the Middle East, in an interview with FRANCE 24 last week.

“Rebels from the [neighbouring] city of Yabroud – under opposition control – were positioned at the al-Safir hotel at the top of the cliff. By a tacit agreement with the regime’s military, there was no exchange of fire since they took this position. It is a kind of agreement based on honour,” said Pichon.

But this week, the fragile agreements appeared to unravel, forcing Maaloula residents to flee to Damascus.

If the issue is simply ego then the Russian Syrian initiative to dispose of the CW is an obvious face saver he could grab onto. Had he any sense hed take it
Looks like he's going to take it. He better. Gets him out of a very tight spot. Vlad the impaler to the rescue possibly. Very hopeful sigh of averting international war but little comfort to the Syrians under Assad's bombs & shells. Too late to help them anyway. Sad for them. They're on their own pretty much except for a trickle of help from the outside compared to the flood of aid from Assad's pals.

They're on their own pretty much except for a trickle of help from the outside compared to the flood of aid from Assad's pals.
Qatar bankrolls Syrian revolt with cash and arms
FT. May 16, 2013
The gas-rich state of Qatar has spent as much as $3bn over the past two years supporting the rebellion in Syria, far exceeding any other government, but is now being nudged aside by Saudi Arabia as the prime source of arms to rebels.
$3 billion is hardly a trickle. Then there's what Saudi Arabia and the UAE have spent too.

Saudis Step Up Help for Rebels in Syria With Croatian Arms
NYTimes. February 25, 2013

Qatar bankrolls Syrian revolt with cash and arms
FT. May 16, 2013

$3 billion is hardly a trickle. Then there's what Saudi Arabia and the UAE have spent too.

Saudis Step Up Help for Rebels in Syria With Croatian Arms
NYTimes. February 25, 2013
All their money doesn't appear to be showing up on the battle field. Much is probably being stolen. Buying some AKs & RPGs can't match heavy weapons supplied by Russia or Quds force & Hez fighters. But there is hope now that Vlad's deal can avert a mid east explosion for now.

With the anniversary of 9-11 tomorrow how the fuck did the US get to be on the same side as AQ? :confused:

38030544.jpg

I don't think it's that weird, Britain and the US have backed Islamist extremists since the 40s. This is just a reversion to type.

I don't think it's that weird, Britain and the US have backed Islamist extremists since the 40s. This is just a reversion to type.

Don't suppose you have any links for that, or point me in the right direction? I tried googling but didnt really come up with much. Do you mean supporting the Muslim Brotherhood over Nasser, that kind of thing?

Arming Taliban in Afghanistan to fuck Russia up in the Afghan Trap would be one case

http://www.counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/
From interview in 1998
Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn’t believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don’t regret anything today?

Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic [integrisme], having given arms and advice to future terrorists?

Brzezinski: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

Q: Some stirred-up Moslems? But it has been said and repeated: Islamic fundamentalism represents a world menace today.

Brzezinski: Nonsense! It is said that the West had a global policy in regard to Islam. That is stupid. There isn’t a global Islam. Look at Islam in a rational manner and without demagoguery or emotion. It is the leading religion of the world with 1.5 billion followers. But what is there in common among Saudi Arabian fundamentalism, moderate Morocco, Pakistan militarism, Egyptian pro-Western or Central Asian secularism? Nothing more than what unites the Christian countries.

Arming Taliban in Afghanistan to fuck Russia up in the Afghan Trap would be one case

http://www.counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/
From interview in 1998
Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn’t believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don’t regret anything today?

Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic [integrisme], having given arms and advice to future terrorists?

Brzezinski: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

Q: Some stirred-up Moslems? But it has been said and repeated: Islamic fundamentalism represents a world menace today.

Brzezinski: Nonsense! It is said that the West had a global policy in regard to Islam. That is stupid. There isn’t a global Islam. Look at Islam in a rational manner and without demagoguery or emotion. It is the leading religion of the world with 1.5 billion followers. But what is there in common among Saudi Arabian fundamentalism, moderate Morocco, Pakistan militarism, Egyptian pro-Western or Central Asian secularism? Nothing more than what unites the Christian countries.

Very interesting insight there from Brzinski, regardless of whether you agree with this kind of man you have to admit...his is a far more advanced game then what the cretins we have today are into.

I saw a clip of Brzinski visiting the Mujahideen in Afghanistan, blond man with a tight face and a stiff manner with close-cropped hair, dark glasses and wearing a black suit under the hot Afganistan sun. The classic cold war spook... Mr Smith from the Matrix combined with the Cigarette Smoking man from X Files, this time played by that bloke who played in 60s classic... The Prisoner, Number Six. He was woodenly telling the warlords how the United States supports their struggle for freedom. He didn't smile.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for all the links folks, that'll teach me to get into simple political discussions before the first cup of coffee of the day and being a bit blurry. :oops:

Apologies for the poor spelling but did the Taliban grow out of the Muja Hal Deen?

No it grew out of being fucked off with internal corruption, and made a couple of bad choices of who it let stay as guests

eta Or rather, good choices, as its anti poppy stance wasn't that popular and would have been antagonistic through the couple of bad harvests had the war not proved a distraction

Apologies for the poor spelling but did the Taliban grow out of the Muja Hal Deen?

My understanding is that while the initial resistance to the Soviets grew out of traditional Afghan communities, and drew on old ideologies of "warrior's honour", the Taliban did not emerge directly from them. Rather, they were a creation of Pakistan's ISI spooks, and were recruitied among Afghan refugee camps in Pakistan. Kids in those camps grew up without the old warrior culture, which had not, anyway survived modern technological war in the 1980s. They were not only easy meat for military servce, but also for the Islamist ideology the Taliban (literally "students" or "seekers") brought with them.

No it grew out of being fucked off with internal corruption, and made a couple of bad choices of who it let stay as guests

It also grew out of Pakistan's desire to be able to control post-Soviet Afghan politics. People always conflated these groups, when they say "USA funded Mujahadeen/Al-Qeada/Taliban" as if they're all the same organisation when there's a lot more to it than that.

And the Taliban made some "bad choices" of who it let in, but remember al-Qeada was funded by wealthy individuals in the Gulf, men like Bin Laden had plenty of money, whereas the Taliban ruled over one of the poorest and more wartorn nations on earth. One of the reasons the Taliban let Al-Qeada stay in Afghanistan is that they got some kind of financial bonus from it, one they couldn't really turn down.

In part. But I don't see how the Taliban, when they emerged to contest power by armed force with other former Mujahideen-turned warlords (with the exception of the Uzbek Dostum who fought on the Soviet side) in the 1990s, could 'fuck Russia up', considering the Soviet army withdrew years earlier, indeed the Soviet Union no longer existed. Mujahideen in Afghanistan does not necessarily mean Taliban.

Thanks. Can you recommend a book giving a broad over view of that period and the consequences arising? I only know the bits I've picked up from mainstream media over the years.

38030544.jpg
"Modern bourgeois society, with its relations of production, of exchange and of property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells."

grant2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom