Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

Syria's Assad warns Israel on air strikes and Golan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22725334

C'mon Bashar, I'm rooting for you. You're my guy. but we all know that is never gonna happen.

Yup - just what we need. A wider war in the Middle East.

If you think that's such a good idea I suggest you fuck off on the next flight to Damasus, get yourself a gun and do the dirty work yourself.

There aren't many people I'd bother saying this to but your're a stupid cunt.

Now just fuck off.

Oh - don't bother to reply. I'm really not interested in anything a keyboad warrior like you has to say.

Go put on your battle fatigues and have a wank instead.

Innit this is a big enough digression already. Take it elsewhere Tom.

Meanwhile in Syria Assad's forces seem to have encircled the rebels in the town in Al Qusayr and closed off all routes of re-inforcement and evacuation. Al-Jazeera is a very biased source so remember that.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

The airbase in the town has been recaptured, and the rebels look like they're in a bad situation, which would explain some of the more frantic diplomatic efforts to support them via John McCain's trip to Syria. According to this the S-300 missiles from Russia have been delivered and, surprise surprise, the Israeli's didn't bomb them.

Radio 4 were covering themselves in glory this morning. Assad was reported as saying his forces had the upper hand at the moment. Humphreys commented something along the lines of "if you can say anyone's winning in such a terrible conflict." I don't remember the same sentiments when our team were thought to be winning.

I only caught a moment of it while cooking my dinner but it seemed the stench of hypocrisy was not lost on some Question TIme panel & audience members last night.

In my opinion this is a bad time to take the words of any players at face value, since it is very hard to separate their actual intent from simply trying to get themselves a better hand in the run-up to the geneva conference. I even include supplying weapons to the rebels in this. And much as I do not think the west wants to give up too easily on the 'prize' of removing the Syrian regime, it is quite possible that should we give up on this we wont notice it from listening to the rhetoric straight away. Russia's involvement could even be used as a cover for 'defeat', we could walk away and simply blame them.

There's no end to the outrages they're prepared to say with a straight face.

There used to be a pathological bullshitter in my school. He was one of those kids who was very big and hairy way before his time. One had to just sit there and nod and agree as this neanderthal spun lie after lie. Anyone daring to call him on his mendacity got a dead arm at best, a kicking at worst.

The good ole' US of A seems to operate on much the same basis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22728798

Some nice unimpartial coverage there from the BBC. Ooh "dozens" of reinforcements, I bet Assad's shitting his pants. Meanwhile today Russia announced that they'd be sending 10 Mig-29 fighter jets to Syria as per a previous arms agreement. This has been timed for after Assad's speech last night where he said previous deals with Russia would be honoured. This is quite significant because it gives away what Russia's aims are and how they're posturing themselves for Geneva. Syria uses the older and close to obsolete mig-23 and mig-25 fighters from the 1970's for bombarding rebels. According to wikipedia the Syrian Air Force has a small number of mig-29's already, but these have been used sparingly in the conflict. The Mig-29 is a much more modern fighter jet, with the ones being sent to Syria are the most modern updated M variant that's meant for matching the F-15 and F-16 strike aircraft. These aren't there for bombing runs on lightly-armed rebels, but to be a deterrant on further western intervention. It's saying to Israel in the short-term "don't try bombing Syria again" and it's also sending a message for the US not to start thinking about turning up on the Syrian coastline with any of those aircraft carriers.

Right now the Syrian Arab Army are the ones with the momentum in the fighting. This offensive that's been launched is part of strengthening it's position in any discussions at Geneva. With the momentum in the ground fighting on Assad's side, and with continued Russian support, it will be impossible for the Western powers to redraw the map of the region without accommodating him as they no doubt would like to. The Syrian Arab Army strategy has been quite successful following their initial failures that led to the revolt in the first place. He withdrew the regular army into the key metropolitan areas and gave swathes of strategically less important ground over to the rebels. The Syrian army withdrew to these key areas to be reinforced and Assad used the Mig fighter jets to bombard the rebels from distance to keep them at bay. They've now called up as many men as possible to participate in the counter offensive, along with Hezbollah, a tactic which is called "turtling" when you do it in Command and Conquer 2: Red Alert. Despite losing ground in the east, and on the Turkish border North of Aleppo, the Syrian Arab Army now has been reinforced with large force body of men, backed up with T-72 tanks and air power, that is slowly counter-attacking and carving govt controlled corridor between Damascus and the Alawite coastal areas that constitute Assad's base. Here's a some maps to show this.

EDIT: Liveleak doesn't like hotlinks. Click here to see maps. Bottom one is most reliable.

Maybe they were expeting the Syrian Army to collapse with defections as happened in Iraq, and that did look a possibility at first, but I think the Syrian army has surprised the western analysts with it's discipline and it's ability to continue fighting. Sadly such discipline hasn't been exercised when it comes to the risk of harming civilians, as is the case with the Shabiha death-squads that were used at the beginning of the revolution to crackdown on protests. Whilst these still exist, and still committ atrocities, they've been slowly brought under the control of the regular Syrian Army, and used to reinforce it for this counter attack, alongside the Hezbollah re-inforcements.

The rebel militia's that control of many areas after the SAA's tactical withdrawl have ransacked and looted everything of value from the civilian population they ended up in control of and disgraced themselves in the process. What support they may have had at one time from the population appears to be dwindling. Many have fractured and split off to become armed criminal gangs that survive by simply robbing the populace. The most coherent and effective rebel group right now is Jabhat Al-Nusrah - which would appear to be mainly foreign Jihadi fighters with many from Al Queada in Iraq. These are the kids who grew up in the aftermath of the 2003 invasion and subsequent sectarian war. They are not radical islamists because they come from backward primitive culture, their fundamentalisation is a product of how they were caught up in global power politics. It's a shame. It's not known who funds them, but I would reckon wealthy individuals in the Gulf States and perhaps even the state's themselves are responsible. The Free Syrian Army doesn't seem to exist in any meaningful sense, and certainly the secular elements of Syrian society seem to have rallied round the regime to some extent rather than the opposition.

I saw this interview with a Sunni Muslim who supports Assad:

Interesting. I suspect that the jihadi's even if they succeed in removing Assad will not succeeding in replacing him with any government actually capable of getting the consent of the general population. As in Libya and Tunisia, these were predominantly secular societies and I don't think a Taliban-style state based on a Salafist literalist interpretation of Shariah Law is going to be able to survive, with or without the backing of the Gulf States.

And finally - a British man was killed in Syria yesterday, along with an American woman, a white American convert. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...the-rebels-against-assads-regime-8639051.html He was a muslim, but it's not known if he was acting independently or if he was part of our "non-military aid" to the rebels. It's quite galling that, when you think about it.

Anyway I might make another post later on about Turkey and the Kurds role in this. Erdogan's a real fool, a vain and dangerous one at that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22728798

Some nice unimpartial coverage there from the BBC. Ooh "dozens" of reinforcements, I bet Assad's shitting his pants. Meanwhile today Russia announced that they'd be sending 10 Mig-29 fighter jets to Syria as per a previous arms agreement. This has been timed for after Assad's speech last night where he said previous deals with Russia would be honoured. This is quite significant because it gives away what Russia's aims are and how they're posturing themselves for Geneva. Syria uses the older and close to obsolete mig-23 and mig-25 fighters from the 1970's for bombarding rebels. According to wikipedia the Syrian Air Force has a small number of mig-29's already, but these have been used sparingly in the conflict. The Mig-29 is a much more modern fighter jet, with the ones being sent to Syria are the most modern updated M variant that's meant for matching the F-15 and F-16 strike aircraft. These aren't there for bombing runs on lightly-armed rebels, but to be a deterrant on further western intervention. It's saying to Israel in the short-term "don't try bombing Syria again" and it's also sending a message for the US not to start thinking about turning up on the Syrian coastline with any of those aircraft carriers.

One of the principle design goals for Flanker-E/29M was to make it more multi-role and add air-to-ground capability. Not that this is anything more than a symbolic move as it takes a competent air force years to get a new type operational. The Indian Air Force, who are several orders of magnitude up the competence scale from the Syrians, took four years to get their MiG-29SMTs into operation. It's strong gesture of support from the Russians, who are clearly going 'all in' on Assad, but it changes almost nothing with regard to the actual operational capability of the SyAAF.

The original design goal for the Fulrcum, which it failed to achieve, was to counter the F-15/F-16. For this reason great emphasis was placed on low speed maneuverability at high angles of attack. However, most air combat now takes place in the M0.7-M0.9 regime at which speed the Fulcrum runs out of G at about 15 deg. AoA so some of the design's potential is inaccessible and therefore wasted. This, and other problems such as its woeful fuel fraction, are demonstrated in the real life combat performance of all MiG-29 variants which has been universally very poor around - 1 to 12 in terms of kills.

Get this clip on BBC/Fox. Everywhere. Brings a tear to my eye to see what the rebels threaten. God help Syria if the Jihadist win. We'll have another Saudi Arabia.

Some ideas for helping the refugees here. Create some no fly zones around the refugee camps.

Since we are clearly willing to leave Assad in power, we should barter his continued presidency for allowing refugee camps to be moved from neighboring states into Syria, and for direct assistance from the UN and NGOs. He would keep his title but lose authority in those territories, which would gradually become self-governing, as northern Iraq did after 1991. It is a distasteful bargain, to be sure, but now we are leaving him in power and getting nothing.
If Assad refuses, or imperils the safety of refugees, we should assert control of them. Arming the rebels is an unattractive option, given the increasingly radicalized factions, but rebel forces are strong enough to protect camps, provided that we protect against the Assad regime's air and rocket forces. The government's main advantage is heavy weaponry; therefore we should shoot down any combat aircraft the government uses. Missiles from stand-off range, cratering runways, or impeding their electronics and communications would all work to this end. We probably could not prevent missile weapons, but we should retaliate against any unit that fires them, degrading their forces with time, as Senators Levin and McCain have suggested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/31/intervention-strategy-syria-help-refugees

I'm just about to leave for work, but just to say that of course the refugees need all the assistance that can be mustered; but, to dress up western interests as being primarily or even markedly about the refugee situation is entirely disingenuous.

Aid and assistance should of course be provided in a non-confrontational, neutral (lol) way

I'm just about to leave for work, but just to say that of course the refugees need all the assistance that can be mustered; but, to dress up western interests as being primarily or even markedly about the refugee situation is entirely disingenuous.

Aid and assistance should of course be provided in a non-confrontational, neutral (lol) way

So basically, do nothing, and let the Turks, Lebanese and Jordanians deal with it. Fair enough.

Dangerous mischief making by cleric:

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/yusuf-al-qaradawi-urges-sunnis-join-syria-war

Influential Muslim cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi has called on Sunni Muslims to join the rebels fighting the Syrian regime, as he lashed out at Shiite group Hezbollah for sending its men to fight the mostly-Sunni insurgents in Syria

Every Muslim trained to fight and capable of doing that (must) make himself available" to support the Syrian rebels, the cleric said at a rally in Doha late Friday

How could 100 million Shiites (worldwide) defeat 1.7 billion (Sunnis)?" he exclaimed, "only because (Sunni) Muslims are weak

So basically, do nothing, and let the Turks, Lebanese and Jordanians deal with it. Fair enough.

Your words, not mine.

And I'd love to hear how you propose aiding refugees all over the world, many of them struggling in equally desparate conditions; and in particular those that don't reside in regions of huge geo-political importance.

You're right. If you can't help everybody then help nobody.

Or alternatively, wage yet another war in a region that essentially we have no business meddling in, in true British empire fashion. Of course under the banner of 'humanitarian intervention' , as usual. You're either daft, naive, both, or just clueless.

Back
Top Bottom