Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anarchists sabotage railway signalling in Bristol

Are you talking about butchersapron?

I'm sure everything you've said is his exact motivation. :D

And no matter how many times you or butchers direct me to shut up, it won't change my opinion that the most 'radical activity' carried out by the majority of the people who do anything at all, involves going on marches or listening to speeches.
haven't read all your contributions. Don't really like butchers dictatorial style myself, however, marches and speech is not really his thing, to be fair. Or any of the others. Me on the other hand, quite like a march. :)

Further to the above comment, which referred to the EDO Decommissioners case, the judgement in the appeal brought by John Catt in relation to intelligence data held by the police on non-violent protesters AKA 'domestic extremists' was given yesterday.

It fell in favour of the police, ACPO and the NPOIU/NDEU.

As the Network for Police Monitoring points out:

Here is the reference in the judges' ruling:

(Ironically enough, it is not a "fact" at all that the EDO Decommissioners caused £300,000-worth of damage. Indeed, in the lead up to trial EDO MBM and its managing director Paul Hills gave wildly different estimates of damage in circumstances that suggested limited possibilities, including possible pressure from the police to upsell the cost. The figure used in the trial - accepted by the prosecution, by the police and by Hill - was £180,000, though £200,000 has also been bandied about.)

Anyway, as NetPol continues:

Thus the judgement omits crucial context from its 'facts'.

Note also that the uncritical acceptance of "the Tudway statement". To return to the NetPol article - which helpfully brings several relevant themes altogether in one place:

The NPOIU, remember, was the unit tasked with infiltrating various long-term police agents into activist groups, including van cops 'Mark Stone' AKA PC Mark Kennedy, and 'Marco/Mark Jacobs'.

Whilst Kennedy is the better known, thanks to his spy thriller exposure by activists and subsequent revelations about his numerous emotional and sexual relationships with those on whom he was spying, 'Jacobs' is perhaps more interesting.

'Jacobs' was primarily embedded within the Cardiff Anarchist Network. After his unmasking, CAN released a statement in which they talked about his activities, which shows that this was not just about keeping tabs on 'the usual suspects':

The SDS, NPOIU, NDET, NETCU and now NDEU serve but one function - disruption of political activism by any means; surveillance, infiltration, provocation, harassment, bribery, slander, violence, intimidation, fit-ups - all are weapons they have been documented to use, and will continue to use unless we protect ourselves better from their methods.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/14/protester-wins-surveillance-fight
Protester wins surveillance database fight
John Catt, who has no criminal record, wins legal action to have records deleted from police database of suspected extremists

Three appeal court judges have ruled that police violated the human rights of an 88-year-old peaceful campaigner when they secretly labelled him a "domestic extremist" and recorded his political activities.

John Catt, who has no criminal record, was shocked when he discovered police had clandestinely kept a detailed note of his presence on more than 55 demonstrations over a four-year period.
On Thursday, he won his legal action to have the records deleted from a secret database of so-called domestic extremists. Details of the surveillance were revealed by the Guardian in 2010.

:)

I wonder how many people on here have similar records.

And again shows the value of human rights legislation and why the government hates it so much.

I wonder how many people on here have similar records.

And again shows the value of human rights legislation and why the government hates it so much.

I know I will but mine will be if bugger all use to anyone as I'm sure I'm down as an "animal rights activist" and "AC Milan Ultra" despite being a dedicated carnivore and supporter of hunting and a Man utd fan...

I think we can safely say that Philip Smeeton has covered all the major food groups necessary for an exemplary below-the-line comment.

I suspect Philip Smeeton is an undercover police officer, as are most of those involved in the campaign.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was their boss...

It's a good thing I don't know anything as I would never be able to withstand torture.

So I get the beef with the railway sabotaging. It's most likely to inconvenience workers and ordinary bods, and isn't really a target that has any value.

But a police fire arms training centre? Seems like sort of fair game to me. I've seen people mention that this might bring "heat" on their own left wing group which wouldn't engage in something so trivial, dangerous or illegal, and that certainly seems fair comment. Beyond that (and I wouldn't deny that that alone wouldn't be a perfectly good reason to want to distance yourself) what is the specific issue with this action?

So I get the beef with the railway sabotaging. It's most likely to inconvenience workers and ordinary bods, and isn't really a target that has any value.

But a police fire arms training centre? Seems like sort of fair game to me. I've seen people mention that this might bring "heat" on their own left wing group which wouldn't engage in something so trivial, dangerous or illegal, and that certainly seems fair comment. Beyond that (and I wouldn't deny that that alone wouldn't be a perfectly good reason to want to distance yourself) what is the specific issue with this action?
So, avoiding all the context, the arguments and that complicated stuff that people on the ground have to face, woah!! what a picture.

You've 'seen' - you only heard of it five minutes ago.

????

Well, I've been following this thread since day one, and even posted on it in the first few pages. I've seen people mention, somewhere, on this thread, that they might be under closer scrutiny. That was more than 5 minutes ago. Might have been over a year...

Anyway, was a genuine question.

Back
Top Bottom