Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anarchist Bookfair 2013 October 19th

Now then, now then

healy_gerry_200.jpg

I'll send you a PM, then?

She's seems a very bitter person from reading her various stuff today - do these people just turn on each anther one after another about perceived little personal slights rather than anything political?

It's a mistake to try to separate the two with this bunch. For them political action is in large part about "calling out" people for being "shitty people". It's one reason why the gang war between mainstream media liberal feminists and the more radical liberal intersectionalistas on twitter is such compulsive viewing - both sides are vigorously concerned with policing who is in and who is out of their respective circles.

The Lewis v. Ambreen feud is emblematic of the whole thing. Ambreen botched a "call out". She later apologised, but Lewis scented blood and made an example of her. You can work out much of any given uk twitter feminist's politics by seeing what side they took.

Good. :)

Like I said, I've never been to the bookfair but I'd like to go, one year.
dont be put off by this stuff onket, ive always found it friendly and the meetings welcoming and interesting on the whole - i didnt spot any drama the whole day, but its a big event so something is bound to happen somewhere. Its all a lot more civilised than you might be imagining

Is "black bloc" someone who posts on twitter or is she claiming to have received the secret communique?
This is "black bloc"

A London-based 'anarchist' going by the name of Seamus Colligan (aka O’Colgan) has started a campaign to 'out' anarchists and feminists.

Using his twitter accounts @blacbloc and @JamesLa30236317 he has been posting personal details of people who have stood up against sexual violence and abusive behaviour, in particular those who have been vocally anti-Assange, those who signed the AWOL statement about Paul Cunliffe and those who challenged Seamus about his own alleged sexually violent behaviour. In addition to copying the Met Police into these tweets, he has been contacting people's employers, local fascists and local police forces naming people as anarchists and providing home addresses. This man is a tout and cannot be trusted.

Be careful what you post about yourself and others.
Do not use other people's names or say anything that may identify them.
Do not pass on details of comrades to third parties.
Review your online security - keep personal details separate from public social media accounts.

the circle is squared (by the menz or something - appropriation of minority culture language, little bit racist)

In its own way the argument with the unidentified sympathetic but not quite with the program dude in Ambreen's account is quite interesting.

The whole issue is posed as one of his feelings ("pissed off", "heartbroken", "alienated") versus the self-actualisation of the chanters, and their ability to feel powerful, "in control" and beyond being hurt for a few moments. In such a balance the feelings of the oppressed are more important, and he should just suck it up. Now that's actually reasonable enough in some ways - if you take it as a given that progressive politics really do come down to expressing your justified individual ire, exposing "shitty people" and so on.

But even in her account, his feelings aren't all there are to his objection. There is also a tactical element: deliberately over the top, meant-to-shock, slogans are from his point of view likely to annoy rather than convince those who aren't already convinced. Now there are arguments to be had about whether this kind of slogan is always and everywhere counterproductive. It isn't always necessary to moderate language. Being provocative isn't always mistaken. But Ambreen isn't interested in engaging on that ground at all. Instead, having any form of tactical concern for things like winning over the not already convinced is dismissed out of hand -

"Here’s the thing: we don’t give a shit about the average man. We’re not teachers, we’re not leaders, we’re not going to break it down for you in a language you understand. We are expressing ourselves, nothing more, nothing less. We say these extreme things because, powerless as we are, sometimes it is the only thing in our arsenal. Words are powerful, yes, and for those fleeting few seconds, we are in control and you can’t hurt us."

This is a manifesto for politics as a personally satisfying howl into a void. A shout of rage as the method and more shouts of rage as the end goal. It's actually much more interesting in what it says about the politics at work here than the "kill all men" chant itself, which is too obviously silly to get worked up about.

That said, I'll take this lot over Guy Fawksist types throwing around slurs against transgendered people any day.

Last edited:
This is "black bloc"

A London-based 'anarchist' going by the name of Seamus Colligan (aka O’Colgan) has started a campaign to 'out' anarchists and feminists.

Using his twitter accounts @blacbloc and @JamesLa30236317 he has been posting personal details of people who have stood up against sexual violence and abusive behaviour, in particular those who have been vocally anti-Assange, those who signed the AWOL statement about Paul Cunliffe and those who challenged Seamus about his own alleged sexually violent behaviour. In addition to copying the Met Police into these tweets, he has been contacting people's employers, local fascists and local police forces naming people as anarchists and providing home addresses. This man is a tout and cannot be trusted.

Be careful what you post about yourself and others.
Do not use other people's names or say anything that may identify them.
Do not pass on details of comrades to third parties.
Review your online security - keep personal details separate from public social media accounts.

the circle is squared (by the menz or something - appropriation of minority culture language, little bit racist)
Your link doesn't seem to work, but this one leads you to what I presume is the same photo.
http://www.soundthealarm.org.uk/seamus-colligan/
I don't know the case but the guy sounds very bad news.

Hope this doesn't make the mods too twitchy, but I think Butchers is right to post these details up.

Back
Top Bottom