Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anarchist Bookfair 2013 October 19th

“Your culture,” he spat, “has invaded my culture for the last 800 years!”
That was the Irish Republican (or even simple Irish Nationalist) in him. Same old divisive shit as her.

Is this the self publicist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciaron_O'Reilly

Mattew-Horne-Ciaron-OReilly-Holding-Bradley-Manning-Ben-Griffin.jpg

She's seems a very bitter person from reading her various stuff today - do these people just turn on each anther one after another about perceived little personal slights rather than anything political?

It really does seem like this from the outside. It's a wonder anyone new ever goes to these things.

This is what annoys me - there is political stuff going on. Say the anti-blacklisting campaign - currently a few autonomous groups are forming as they're fed up of official inaction. That's something to be talked about and debated - something political . But this doesn't happen with these people because it's all about the individual. You'll not hear a word about stuff like that from them.

Not liking "kill all men" doesn't disappear cos she's new :D

I'm not 100% I'm sure what you mean. I was just agreeing with butchersapron. I'd like to go to this one year. I'd like to go to a lot of other meetings and groups that I see advertised. But without fail the ones I have been to, have been cliquey and in-fighty, and not at all welcoming. I've not got enough time or money to keep going to everything until I find one that isn't, and I've not got enough energy to go anyway and ignore or particularly engage with the nut-buckets. :(

I'm not 100% I'm sure what you mean. I was just agreeing with butchersapron. I'd like to go to this one year. I'd like to go to a lot of other meetings and groups that I see advertised. But without fail the ones I have been to, have been cliquey and in-fighty, and not at all welcoming. I've not got enough time or money to keep going to everything until I find one that isn't, and I've not got enough energy to go anyway and ignore or particularly engage with the nut-buckets. :(
Don't think either of the meetings I attended were cliquey or infighty. One was a bit pointless, and the other could've done with more discussion and less lecture, but didn't feel like either were unwelcoming.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you thought people were being unreasonably mean to a newcomer.

Which ones?
The education one - which needed to be way less focused on "radical pedagogy" and more focused on organising and confronting the government, and the SolFed anarcho-syndicalism one, which was a lot of information, but could've done more with people talking about current campaigns and day-to-day activity (cause the contribution from members dotted around the room on that were great).

The education one - which needed to be way less focused on "radical pedagogy" and more focused on organising and confronting the government, and the SolFed anarcho-syndicalism one, which was a lot of information, but could've done more with people talking about current campaigns and day-to-day activity (cause the contribution from members dotted around the room on that were great).
Cheers.

Was the second one the What is anarcho syndicalism one, or the Workplace Organisation one?

Was the second one the What is anarcho syndicalism one, or the Workplace Organisation one?

What is a-syn. Tbf, maybe it was all covered in the second one, but I figured that the "what is a-syn" one was more or less a pitch for people to join SolFed and bigging up what you do as an organisation is the best advert for that ...

What is a-syn. Tbf, maybe it was all covered in the second one, but I figured that the "what is a-syn" one was more or less a pitch for people to join SolFed and bigging up what you do as an organisation is the best advert for that ...
So did they stick to describing anarcho syndicalism generally rather than being about the solfed then?

So did they stick to describing anarcho syndicalism generally rather than being about the solfed then?
The first half and a bit was, yeah, some stuff about the principles of revolutionary unionism, history of a-syn etc., and the shorter discussion part focused a bit more on what they get up to (aside from a Trot derailing it with their standard "excellent record of class struggle, but failure to lead the class in '36" schtick). It was a good meeting in general, I think I'd have just tipped the balance slightly in the other direction though.

Don't think either of the meetings I attended were cliquey or infighty. One was a bit pointless, and the other could've done with more discussion and less lecture, but didn't feel like either were unwelcoming.

Good. :)

Like I said, I've never been to the bookfair but I'd like to go, one year.

The first half and a bit was, yeah, some stuff about the principles of revolutionary unionism, history of a-syn etc., and the shorter discussion part focused a bit more on what they get up to (aside from a Trot derailing it with their standard "excellent record of class struggle, but failure to lead the class in '36" schtick). It was a good meeting in general, I think I'd have just tipped the balance slightly in the other direction though.
Yes, the other double slot meeting was a bit like a taster for the one-day course they run in the practicalities of workplace organisation (from what I understand).

Back
Top Bottom