Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

America going soft on capital punishment

bourgeois justice, bourgeois society and governance is inherently racist and sexist and classist. I see no reason to grant them any further powers of life and death over us, its already difficult enough to get justice when the police murder people.

18010218_10155257723582560_1022563244847446495_n.jpg

This old chestnut again. These don't prove anything regarding deterrence at all. There are many other social reasons why some states have higher crime rates than others (e.g. States without the DP abolishing it because they had a low murder rate). If I were to point out that there was a huge increase in violent crime (not resulting in death) after the UK abolished the death penalty you'd say that was down to other social factors, right?

In practice the occasions where the death penalty is actually carried out in the US is so rare that criminals can almost discount the possibility of execution so the question of deterrence becomes impossible.

This
In practice the occasions where the death penalty is actually carried out in the US is so rare that criminals can almost discount the possibility of execution so the question of deterrence becomes impossible.

So why, when faced with the indisputable evidence of the way it brutalities those involved in the process, continue to do it?

This old chestnut again. These don't prove anything regarding deterrence at all. There are many other social reasons why some states have higher crime rates than others (e.g. States without the DP abolishing it because they had a low murder rate). If I were to point out that there was a huge increase in violent crime (not resulting in death) after the UK abolished the death penalty you'd say that was down to other social factors, right?

You and I have been over this in detail on here before. I went in search of evidence from the huge number of countries that have abolished the dp, and the evidence I found wasn't quite what I was seeking, as I said at the time, as I was expecting and hoping to find some evidence that abolition had a positive effect in reducing capital crimes, a reflection of a less brutal and brutalised society. What I found, and I posted up the evidence, was that there really is no measurable effect either way. The old chestnut that the dp is a deterrent does need putting to bed, though. It really isn't, even if it might not be shown to be the brutalising cause of evil that I had rather hoped it might be.

The stats prove that this is one out of many reasons to justify not killing people in the name of the state.
FWIW. here is a link for one that is scheduled to take place later today. Somone who is old, very sick and terminally ill and who they are making special arranngements for in order that they can kill him. Big men, like the governor making a point!
Ohio transfers sick inmate to death house ahead of execution

The stats prove that this is one out of many reasons to justify not killing people in the name of the state.
FWIW. here is a link for one that is scheduled to take place later today. Somone who is old, very sick and terminally ill and who they are making special arranngements for in order that they can kill him. Big men, like the governor making a point!
Ohio transfers sick inmate to death house ahead of execution
thats the cheating god angle. Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord

So why, when faced with the indisputable evidence of the way it brutalities those involved in the process, continue to do it?
Because of all the other reasons that we've discussed over the years. And of course it's still highly likely that capital punishment would have deterred at least some murders, and almost certain that it would deter many violent crimes where death was a possible outcome but not the intended one.

And of course it's still highly likely that capital punishment would have deterred at least some murders, and almost certain that it would deter many violent crimes where death was a possible outcome but not the intended one.
No it's not. kinell. No amount of evidence will make you change your view on this, eh? :D

Because of all the other reasons that we've discussed over the years. And of course it's still highly likely that capital punishment would have deterred at least some murders, and almost certain that it would deter many violent crimes where death was a possible outcome but not the intended one.

And yet study after study shows that not to be the case and in fact the opposite is true, as evidenced by figures you so readily dismiss; a brutalized society will have more violent crime than one that is not brutalized.

You've never shown ANY evidence to the contrary!!!
Yes I have. I'm not digging it out again. You can search my posts if you don't remember. The evidence to the contrary comes from the dozens of countries that have abolished the dp and the lack of any measurable effect of that abolition on murder rates. The evidence for 'no or negligible effect' is strong.

And yet study after study shows that not to be the case and in fact the opposite is true ...
Show us those studies then. Nobody has posted one that isn't full of holes on these boards in the 17 years that I've been here.
... as evidenced by figures you so readily dismiss; a brutalized society will have more violent crime than one that is not brutalized
Clichéd bollocks. And those stats aren't the evidence you pretend them to be, as explained.

Yes I have. I'm not digging it out again. You can search my posts if you don't remember. The evidence to the contrary comes from the dozens of countries that have abolished the dp and the lack of any measurable effect of that abolition on murder rates.
No. That was disputed. Either the countries had de-facto abolished the DP decades earlier anyway, thus rendering your stats meaningless for the purpose of judging deterrence, or you were comparing apples with oranges, iirc.

The best position regarding deterrence is that CP likely deters some crimes but has no effect on many. Which is a long way from where anti-CPers want it to be.

Spymaster is right about one thing in this, which is that there's a correlation/causation problem here. The states without the dp tend to be less unequal by many measures, have better standards of social care, etc, than those with it.

That's about the only thing he's right about.

Spymaster is right about one thing in this, which is that there's a correlation/causation problem here. The states without the dp tend to be less unequal by many measures, have better standards of social care, etc, than those with it.

That's about the only thing he's right about.
by no means. pa's often right. in contrast to your mealy-mouthed liberal tosh, which is in so many instances wrong.

No. That was disputed. Either the countries had de-facto abolished the DP decades earlier anyway, thus rendering your stats meaningless for the purpose of judging deterrence, or you were comparing apples with oranges, iirc.

The best position regarding deterrence is that CP likely deters some crimes but has no effect on many. Which is a long way from where anti-CPers want it to be.
Disputed by you. I took evidence from lots of places to avoid the apples/oranges problem. The best position regarding deterrence is the one that best explains the evidence - and that is that it has no measurable effect either way.

as if a potential murderer stops themselves amidst the red mist, and goes 'ah, better not, there's the death penalty'

as if a potential murderer stops themselves amidst the red mist, and goes 'ah, better not, there's the death penalty'
Not the point. What is likely is that criminals will go out of their way NOT to kill people if the ultimate sanction exists. After the abolition of the death penalty in the UK there was an enormous spike in violent crime; GBH and the like. Some thinking suggests that this was in part due to criminals now being more prepared to use extreme violence knowing that if they killed someone they'd still live. Not the strongest argument, for sure, but difficult to rule out absolutely.

Another cliché that comes up in this, time and time again. Many criminals doubt they'll get caught and some expect to sooner or later. Either way this is useless regarding deterrence.
if you don't think you'll get caught, you won't think of the deterrent. why do so many people break the law regarding drugs, for example?

Drugs is an ideal example, btw. I don't carry smelly weed around with me in public because the likelihood of being busted in London is quite high and I fear the consequences of being caught doing so. Bang, deterrence proved.

Drugs is an ideal example, btw. I don't carry smelly weed around with me in public because the likelihood of being busted in London is quite high and I fear the consequences of being caught doing so. Bang, deterrence proved.
not to mention your drug-induced paranoia, pa

Back
Top Bottom