Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is him after a discussion of new leftist material from Zer0 books (which also published Laurie Penny's Meat Market, £9.99, £6.99 68 pages in total 60 pages of writing culled from old columns plus made up interviews).

EL-Dish-McNally-Aug28-3.jpg

If anyone cares the book they are discussing is 'Levitate the Primate: Handjobs, Internet Dating, and Other Issues for Men' an analysis of problems facing men in the USA, by Michael Thomsen. Thomsen's own blog is here
which gives us explanations such as:

"In his recently published memoir, Christopher Hitchens wrote something that encapsulated all of the guilt I feel about my confessional writing. “For those I have loved, or who have been so lenient and gracious as to have loved me, I have not words enough here, and I remember with gratitude how they have made me speechless in return.” When I write, I have a recurring fear of betraying the loyalties of the people I write about. This is bearably nerve-wracking when profiling people or characterizing someone’s work or public opinions—a kind of writing I find painfully boring. The more fruitful and honest confessing of a subjective experience can’t be done with speechlessness on the subjects that matter most. There are subjects I care about, but only because of the people connected to them. To be fully honest about one’s conviction to a subject requires a confession of one’s love for the people behind that given subject. Giving this account honestly often feels like the kind of treachery that’s only possible between people who care for each other the most."

6166252322_d696a4ca63_b.jpg

My, how overwhelmingly caucasian and well-fed this brave new anti-racist world of Laura and her self-facilitating media node chums looks!

The whitest girl in a very white school

This is him after a discussion of new leftist material from Zer0 books (which also published Laurie Penny's Meat Market, £9.99, £6.99 68 pages in total 60 pages of writing culled from old columns plus made up interviews).

View attachment 26312

If anyone cares the book they are discussing is 'Levitate the Primate: Handjobs, Internet Dating, and Other Issues for Men' an analysis of problems facing men in the USA, by Michael Thomsen. Thomsen's own blog is here
which gives us explanations such as:

"In his recently published memoir, Christopher Hitchens wrote something that encapsulated all of the guilt I feel about my confessional writing. “For those I have loved, or who have been so lenient and gracious as to have loved me, I have not words enough here, and I remember with gratitude how they have made me speechless in return.” When I write, I have a recurring fear of betraying the loyalties of the people I write about. This is bearably nerve-wracking when profiling people or characterizing someone’s work or public opinions—a kind of writing I find painfully boring. The more fruitful and honest confessing of a subjective experience can’t be done with speechlessness on the subjects that matter most. There are subjects I care about, but only because of the people connected to them. To be fully honest about one’s conviction to a subject requires a confession of one’s love for the people behind that given subject. Giving this account honestly often feels like the kind of treachery that’s only possible between people who care for each other the most."

The man must die. Now.

and at the risk of sounding beanlike that's the US and they're all white?!

At the risk of patronising everyone here - Class not race! or whatever the slogan is.

There a few African-Americans in the crowd:

392839_10150394927652511_493668949_n.jpg

That's from the Mao event, but the waistcoat of the woman looks expensive - might not be the whole story.

What's certain is that the place they held the examination of Mao especially the Long March and the Base Areas in the 1930s is a small upmarket hotel called The Jane in Manhattan, some of the staff are photographed here - can't be sure again but looks like quite a mix of cultures:

424420_10150668504826563_229902228_n.jpg

Over 700 pages on an impetuous, self serving youth, whom I gather is now a member...so bin the callout thread and give her a chance to grow up

lets face it, we all wish we went to parties like that. even though i know that in reality i would make a dick of myself by saying "am" instead of "are" and run out of the room in tears.

they've got some nice clothes as well.

lets face it, we all wish we went to parties like that. even though i know that in reality i would make a dick of myself by saying "am" instead of "are" and run out of the room in tears.

They're not parties - they're political meetings - it's like a meeting at Firebox taken just a little further down the line. If your base is middle-class academia/culture vultures why not locate somewhere appropriate close to those locations and that hotel is apparently very close to poetry slam events and off-Broadway threatres etc.

Hear him speak, he's at around 14'.

I was going to write "the best that can happen from this thread is that LP reads some criticisms of her, evaluates her position, and realises that the working class can be educated too. The worst is that she turns against said people and becomes more openly entrenched in her milieu"
Then I thought that the "best" and "worst" are not that far apart.

Then some people decided they own the thread, and decided that now that LP has arrived, they have to police the contributions. They didn't think that before; no-one was told to leave the thread before LP turned up. Anyone could post anything.

Perhaps the most telling thing about this thread is how serious it has become to some posters since the person they ridicule turned up.

I was going to write "the best that can happen from this thread is that LP reads some criticisms of her, evaluates her position, and realises that the working class can be educated too. The worst is that she turns against said people and becomes more openly entrenched in her milieu"

Then some people decided they own the thread, and decided that now that LP has arrived, they have to police the contributions. They didn't think that before; no-one was told to leave the thread before LP turned up. Anyone could post anything.

Perhaps the most telling thing about this thread is how serious it has become to some posters since the person they ridicule turned up.

they still can post anything, but i dont think its unreasonable to ask people saying stupid shit to stop saying stupid shit

If you think this thread has become serious then I think you need to reread it - do you really think we're seriously calling each other misogynists, or are we joking?

The only thing we are taking seriously is that LP called two committed anti-fascist anti-racist people, racists, and she WAS serious when she said it, in a public way (twitter) to over 13,000 people. The thread is still waiting for an apology on that one, especially given the ramifications to the ongoing activism of these people.

Political discussion is just that - discussion. It's not flouncing and screaming 'racist' or 'misogynist' just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion.

they still can post anything, but i dont think its unreasonable to ask people saying stupid shit to stop saying stupid shit

OK, so who is saying "stupid shit" (I see that in some cases, but even so) and why have one (it's actually close to one person, but might be two) or two people decided to police the thread now that Laurie Penny has arrived? Why has their "stupid shit" not been asked to stop before?

It only serves to appear that they think she matters. I think to some posters, her arriving on the thread really matters.

If you think this thread has become serious then I think you need to reread it - do you really think we're seriously calling each other misogynists, or are we joking?

The only thing we are taking seriously is that LP called two committed anti-fascist anti-racist people, racists, and she WAS serious when she said it, in a public way (twitter) to over 13,000 people. The thread is still waiting for an apology on that one, especially given the ramifications to the ongoing activism of these people.

Political discussion is just that - discussion. It's not flouncing and screaming 'racist' or 'misogynist' just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion.

Don't agree. I've followed the thread from the start. So I agree on 'serious'. It's only since LP arrived that people have been told to get off the thread, and the tone has been one of 'we know what we're talking about; leave us to it' from some.

Why are people who have contributed throughout the thread being told to get off it once LP arrived? That's a fine political reaction to bullshit, but it basically didn't exist (beyond a few isolated examples) until LP arrived and a few posters decided that they should have freedom of the thread because no-one else was capable of challenging LP.

The most upsetting thing is that in the main, they were really really shit at it as well.

mandc.jpg

She's trying for a thousand yard stare here isn't she? She is isn't she? Nobody knows the trouble she's seen. Really.

When I first came to this thread I felt a bit sorry for Penstance - I knew nothing of this privelege network & I just thought poor kid's growing up in public. Eye opener this thread's been.

Clearly we need to convene a thread meeting to nominate cbbes to lead this struggle session working group, at least until PD Central give us the latest multitudinous lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom