Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

she is the actual MINISTER FOR FISH. fucking hell. That would piss me right off if i knew anything about fish.
therese coffey is the actual minister for work and pensions and as you might expect her knowledge of both is, to be kind, extremely limited

if i wanted to know about molybdenum, i would ask her. for she has a doctorate in molybdenum chemistry.

if i wanted to know about anything else she would be the last person on my list to ask

You are quite right.
Please inform the silly haulage industry who keeps hallucinating that there's some sort of a new serious & very brexit-related problem. Again, they forget to even mention the pingdemic when they wrote last month that 'critical supply chains are failing'.

I think the problem here is that you appear to be taking the pronouncements of haulage industry bosses entirely at face value, not considering that they might perhaps have particular interests and reasons which lead them to exaggerate the significance of factors they're not responsible for and downplay the importance of those for which they are.

I think the problem here is that you appear to be taking the pronouncements of haulage industry bosses entirely at face value, not considering that they might perhaps have particular interests and reasons which lead them to exaggerate the significance of factors they're not responsible for and downplay the importance of those for which they are.
a problem. there is more than one problem there.

Why then don’t they even mention the covid isolation thing as a factor in the shortage of drivers?

would not be surprised if aging out is also and issue, uncle of mine was pass retirement age at the start of covid and thought well fuck this for a game of soldiers

Well exactly. Problems been going on for ages. Reading people on this thread you’d think it just started yesterday with all the pings.
It's obviously cumulative. The pings have made a previously bad situation worse.

The haulage industry was struggling before, now with the added problems caused by the recent Covid surge, the cracks are there for all to see.

Any panic buying going on do we know? There were empty shelves last year when the pandemic hit weren't there? Perhaps lambda variant is putting the wind up people, too.

Any panic buying going on do we know? There were empty shelves last year when the pandemic hit weren't there? Perhaps lambda variant is putting the wind up people, too.
i have no idea but I think very possibly the reason its not been widely covered by bbc etc might be to prevent people seeing those photos of empty shelves and running out to empty some shelves, which is exactly what happened last year, totally self-made shortages.
It feels like a weird thing that it's just become News today, but has been very obviously going on for weeks.

i might look into an hgv license, being an excellent driver.
choose who you work for, then. Neighbour worked for Cornish company and the wages were shit - a lot worse than he was promised when offered the job and long shifts with no paid overtime, not paid at all for hours over in a long shift which he reckoned put him under the minimum wage for a job as skilled and responsible as driving a huge fuck-off truck through Cornwall at night :mad:. I'll swear that didn't used to be the deal for overtime pay.

With this shortage on a qualified driver could probably take one delivery job here one there as you wish. That kind of sounds fun. Can't remember where it was but the hgv drivers still have their own little section in service stations sometimes don't they, showers, small selection of old fashioned top shelf magazines.

With this shortage on a qualified driver could probably take one delivery job here one there as you wish. That kind of sounds fun. Can't remember where it was but the hgv drivers still have their own little section in service stations sometimes don't they, showers, small selection of old fashioned top shelf magazines.
What, gentlemen only, pall mall club and so on?

choose who you work for, then. Neighbour worked for Cornish company and the wages were shit - a lot worse than he was promised when offered the job and long shifts with no paid overtime, not paid at all for hours over in a long shift which he reckoned put him under the minimum wage for a job as skilled and responsible as driving a huge fuck-off truck through Cornwall at night :mad:. I'll swear that didn't used to be the deal for overtime pay.

You explained open border migration in a nut shell. For people from SE EU - Romania, Bulgaria, etc, where the min wage was either side of £3 an hour - a £10 an hour job driving around the UK was living the dream. Prior to thier arrival, the job was skilled work/wage for a family man.

no i explained why we should have some fucking employment laws that stop that sort of thing and give people - particularly providing essential service - good pay and conditions.

There are employment laws. Inc min wage laws. A lot of good law is still in place inc. the Equalitie Act 2010. That isn't what created poverty wages for UK employees.

This happened becasue there was no control on economic migrants from economically underdeveloped, considerably poorer countries - men who were happy to doss in the lorry parks and share a caravan with half a dozen others if it meant sending home remittance.

The EU - with Germany in the lead - created economic mismatches on a national scale, repeatedly, for their own ends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom