Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

we're actually in Coventry in the day (going to the Turner Prize exhibition among other things), but I reckon we'll be back in time for ACR. Wouldn't mind seeing Pins, another time maybe. Will you be about?

we're actually in Coventry in the day (going to the Turner Prize exhibition among other things), but I reckon we'll be back in time for ACR. Wouldn't mind seeing Pins, another time maybe. Will you be about?
Probably, yeah.

I was talking about the Night and Day the other day - in a quarter of a century of regular attendance of gigs in Manchester - often more than one in a week - I've never been to one there. Whoever books the shows seems to have a singular talent for booking acts I've no interest in...
Don't think I've been to any gigs there either, and I've probably only drank in there once or twice. It's just not really on my radar for good gigs. I'd still be sorry to see it go, though, in the sense that if Night & Day goes because of complaints by nobheads who choose to move into an area renowned for its lively nightlife and then complain about the lively nightlife, then it can and will happen to other venues too. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

What's does everyone think/know about Stalybridge? As a relative newcomer to living in Greater Manchester I don't know my areas that well. Looked at a house there today and walked around the town, seemed quite pleasent, the people we chatted to in the park when walking the dog were nice and the staff in Weatherspoons were friendly. Has it got a dark side? :hmm:
A friend's brother and his gf moved there some years back and so that's how I learned people called it Staly Vegas.

I just Googled Why is Stalybridge called Staly Vegas and this popped up in the search results.

Apparently had a spate of bar and club openings about 20 years ago, but it seems it's now just another small struggling market town, much like many others in Greater Manchester and wider north west.

I am starting to think that maybe ACR aren't going to show up.
I was there about 5.45 my mate told me they'd cancelled due to covid. Was all a bit disco for me so didn't hang about.

Tbh I'm wondering if my mate was having a joke. 🤔

Last edited:
I was there about 5.45 my mate told me they'd cancelled due to covid. Was all a bit disco for me so didn't hang about.

Tbh I'm wondering if my mate was having a joke. 🤔
Nah they cancelled, its on their twitter (I checked after we'd been there a while and wondered why they were so late coming on...)

It was pretty jolly as a rave anyway so I didn't mind

I guess some of you may have heard about Manc underground scene lynchpin and all-round force of nature Lou Woodcock dying last week (I'm sure if you've spent much time on the manc scene you'll probably know her tbh) - there's a long and very lovely obit in The Quietus today

I guess some of you may have heard about Manc underground scene lynchpin and all-round force of nature Lou Woodcock dying last week (I'm sure if you've spent much time on the manc scene you'll probably know her tbh) - there's a long and very lovely obit in The Quietus today

As someone who'd only seen her about it gigs and on 4 in a bed that's a really lovely and informative piece. All the posts I've seen on social media point to a remarkable and very special person and the obit does a good job of confirming that. RIP Lou.

As someone who'd only seen her about it gigs and on 4 in a bed that's a really lovely and informative piece. All the posts I've seen on social media point to a remarkable and very special person and the obit does a good job of confirming that. RIP Lou.
I love the line from Emma Fatout, which nails perfectly what an inspiration she was:

‘I want to hear your music!’ I was like, 'I don’t play anything.' But she shouted back, 'It don’t matter!'

Went to Heaton Park today where they've been doing some driverless vehicle testing. They had 2 of these pods programmed to follow each other around a route in the park. They haven't been coping well with the weather though so one was out of action. This one managed to get about 20 metres with no passengers before breaking down. Then some people in hi viz came and stood in front of it while an engineer opened the 'bonnet' to prevent anyone from seeing inside and going home to knock a better one up in the shed.

Conclusion: They're rubbish....I suspect they'll return in Summer.

PXL_20211209_112502471.MP.jpg

Heads up for the Manchester Open Exhibition at Home. It's usually really good..and this year there's a video of my friend doing some spoken word, so it'll be even better.

I remember just being able to wander in in previous years but might be best to book at what might be busier times.

Someone posted a great piece from this on the Pylon Appreciation Society fb page the other day, planning on going next time I'm in town - I really enjoyed it last time I went a few years ago too.

this seems to be a bad business - the Whitworth Gallery's director has been given the boot over the recent Forensic Architecture exhibition. TBH he did fuck things up a bit there, but fuck Manchester University

Back
Top Bottom