Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A day in Manchester - museums, pubs, things to do?

if you're looking for something to do in manc and have free time in the day, I strongly recommend you go to the Derek Jarman exhibition at the City Gallery btw - it's the best exhibition I've been to in years: the work is exceptional, but the story it weaves of the late 20th century punk/queer counterculture is totally fascinating too. reckon you'll be right into it.
I'd love to but I doubt if I'll get the time, sadly.

My favourite bar for sitting and people watching in is The Refuge on Oxford Road which is a glorious old hotel bar which was beautifully refurbished a few years ago. It is indoors, but has very high ceilings and plenty of space. Drinks and food are both very nice, a bit more expensive than average but not eye-watering.

If you need to be outdoors, half the northern quarter has been closed off to traffic, and there's loads of outdoor seating shared between all the bars. There's a load around Eastern Bloc, and a load more on Thomas Street. All the bars round there have a decent range, and the atmosphere has always been chilled & buzzing whenever I've been there.

I'll give it some thought and see if anything else occurs...

What did that hotel used to be called? It’s been driving me mad. I keep thinking it was the Palace Hotel but I think the theatre is fucking with me. Was it the Imperial?

The bar used to be Copperface Jacks didn’t it? I bloody love that building.

What did that hotel used to be called? It’s been driving me mad. I keep thinking it was the Palace Hotel but I think the theatre is fucking with me. Was it the Imperial?

The bar used to be Copperface Jacks didn’t it? I bloody love that building.
It was called the Palace Hotel.

It was called The Charterhouse when it first reopened. My mate stayed there on his wedding night and left at 5 in the morning because him and his wife took shit loads of MDMA and there were no tunes in the room. :D

Back
Top Bottom