Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

There are at least a couple in London where they've been ordered to rebuild and it has happened - there's the Greyhound in Sydenham and there was one somewhere over towards Hampstead iirc. So it does happen, although I don't think either were exactly zippy about it.

I know, but these people are slippery buggers, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some jiggling pokey resulting in the company being folded.

I know, but these people are slippery buggers, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some jiggling pokey resulting in the company folding.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure the previous pub rebuilds have been done by more conventional developers than ATE Farms appear to be. This is great news but I just don't think it will happen.

I do hope that the council's "rebuild it, exactly" order is obeyed in both letter and spirit.

Sadly, although some rebuilds have been done I can think of several ways these slippery buggers can avoid the situation.
Hopefully, the council issued the order "jointly & severally" to the humans and business entities involved.

I know, but these people are slippery buggers, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some jiggling pokey resulting in the company being folded.
Wondered about that, particularly as the order is (seemingly) against a company, not the two twats by name:

The pub's owners, ATE Farms Limited, have 30 days to appeal and the notice must be complied with within three years.
(from the Beeb story).

Still, anything that upsets the pair of shits is mighty fine. :)

I do hope that the council's "rebuild it, exactly" order is obeyed in both letter and spirit.

Sadly, although some rebuilds have been done I can think of several ways these slippery buggers can avoid the situation.
Hopefully, the council issued the order "jointly & severally" to the humans and business entities involved.
Ive just seen that it's been issued to ATE farms Ltd and the 2 directors (including the woman who stepped down a few weeks ago)

Ive just seen that it's been issued to ATE farms Ltd and the 2 directors (including the woman who stepped down a few weeks ago)

Yeah, it's down to them as actual people, rather than as directors of a company.

Oh and this:

"if the pub’s owners filed for bankruptcy, then anyone who bought the site would need to comply with the rebuilding order."

So no getting out of it that way.

So as this is pretty much my job, few quick responses.

This is pretty much the best result which could have been hoped for in the circumstances so fair play, especially as the local authority who've issued it are so small. Turning it around in around 6 months is also quick. It's the strongest form of enforcement notice

Precisely to stop people just sticking the company into liquidation it also will be issued to named individuals. They will struggle to sell the site as it would also be passed onto whomever bought it.

3 years is what the legislation requires. If a serious attempt is made to rebuild, the recipients of the order can reasinably easily get time extensions, though will be monitored closely and there are fines for unresonable delays

An appeal can be made within 30 days. I'd be frankly shocked if they were able to succesfully appeal. Companies with much greater resources have failed in appeals and given the publicity on this case (and the fact that the owners have so blatantly broken planning law repeatedy) it's very unlikely.

If they don't re-build (and I suspect cost of re-build could hit 8 figures) then they face either a fine or prison. The fine banding is the highest in legislation - there is no maximum ceiling but in case law it's normally pegged against the estimated cost of the rebuild. Believe the jail sentence if they don't pay the fine is 3-5 years

TLDR: the owners are fucked

Last edited:
Good article on Bloomberg this morning.

It cites the destruction of the Firestone factory in Brentford as one of the instances where the opportunity was missed to save a beautiful building. I wasn't aware of this until now.

This somewhat militant attitude stems partly from the bitter experience of losses like the destruction of London’s Firestone Factory in 1980: The owners of the palatial art deco facility demolished it over a national holiday, just before a preservation order could be issued.

It's going to be a tough - and expensive (LOL!) - rebuilding job:

Rebuilding a 260-year-old building that was burned to a shell and then bulldozed to a pile of rubble is no mean feat in any scenario. But rebuilding the Crooked House pub, a lopsided structure that had sunk 4ft into the ground, is even trickier.

“It’s a bit of a monkey’s puzzle, with no right angles,” said Stephen Levrant, who runs a heritage architecture firm. “Because everything is out of kilter and you’ve got gravity acting in a completely different way, it will have to be approached as if it was quite a sophisticated modern structure.”

Experts say rebuilding the pub in its original wonky form will be tough and probably very costly, but not impossible.

They’re obviously going to appeal as is their right.
But it will just end up costing them more in the long run unless they start folding companies and go bankrupt.

Back
Top Bottom