Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

There's a free gig on the site on Saturday:

Singer-songwriter Johnny Cole will perform at the Crooked House site at a ceremony to mark the end of the palletisation of the bricks.

The ceremony will see the contractors at the Crooked House and the demonstrators both place locks on the containers storing the original bricks of the building to secure them from theft.

There's now a song about the place

(I think he played my club night years ago!)

And a paranormal group have been hanging around

Seems a bit weird...

What, community action? Seems a bit excellent to me.

Don't know much about it but isn't this how that boozer in London got rebuilt? Everything being catalogued, photographed etc by 'people'? I know they're late and trying to do it retrospectively but power to them really.

What, community action? Seems a bit excellent to me.

Don't know much about it but isn't this how that boozer in London got rebuilt? Everything being catalogued, photographed etc by 'people'? I know they're late and trying to do it retrospectively but power to them really.
Which pub? I don't think anyone camped outside keeping watch of the bricks.

Which pub? I don't think anyone camped outside keeping watch of the bricks.

I think they are:
A month on from when the pub was gutted by fire, this weekend the group will hold a “locking ceremony” in which approximately 23,000 bricks that have been salvaged from the site will be enclosed in two metal containers.

Campaigners will place their own padlocks on the containers to ensure the bricks will not be touched until they are satisfied a rebuild is going to take place. They believe it will be the first step in a long journey to getting the famous wonky building rebuilt on the site where it stood for more than 250 years.

Yes I know that was what I shared!
I meant the London pub reference above.
Anyway just getting slightly 'guarding a statue' vibes is all.
I must admit that I'd never heard of this pub before all this shite happened - but it is clear that it is well-loved in the area - and there has been a lot of upset and distress over the events. So I can see why locals are doing this.

Yes I know that was what I shared!
I meant the London pub reference above.
Anyway just getting slightly 'guarding a statue' vibes is all.

What's genuinely weird is your comment. The article takes about 90 seconds to read and makes quite clear the aim of the community acton is to ensure that a) nothing else is taken from the site and that b) that it will continue until the building is rebuilt. That's the demand: on the developers and the Tory Council. Only in your mind is it about 'guarding a statue'.

Far from 'weird' its exactly the type of community bottom up action that we need more of.

Last edited:
What's genuinely weird is your comment. The article takes about 90 seconds to read and makes quite clear the aim of the community acton is to ensure that a) nothing else is taken from the site and that b) that it will continue until the building is rebuilt. That's the demand: on the developers and the Tory Council. Only in your mind is it about 'guarding a statue'.

From from 'weird' its exactly the type of community bottom up action that we need more of.
Yes I read it. Thought it was a bit weird. Still do. But you get your tent out by all means.

From from 'weird' its exactly the type of community bottom up action that we need more of.
Yeah, it's a great effort and, as always, will be even better if it takes root, makes contact with other groups and issues. Suppose - adding a grey cloud to the silver lining - that it's also a reminder of how far 'the left' in this country are from this kind of community action.

Third man arrested (still not Taylor tho, from the age)

Iirc, one of the original two arrested was from Milton Keynes and this one is from Buckingham (the third was local). Both 70+ miles from Dudley. Not sure what police practice is when saying where someone is 'from', but I've always imagined it means currently living in, unless the person moves around a lot, shuttles between places etc. Certainly adds to the idea this wasn't a random act of vandalism/arson.

Now, I wonder if someone is trying to manage expectations,
or arrange for the Taylors to have a way to weasel out of being forced to pay for the rebuild ...

IMO, the pub must be rebuilt, even if it is structurally a replica [steel framed and on a raft], it can incorporate many of the non-combustible bricks ...

I do hope that the campaigners are collecting images / film of the interior - getting that right is going to be the harder part, tbh.

That article has almost certainly been written by AI!
ooh, I've been looking back at a couple of 'his' other articles (quite a few since 'he' joined in June) and they all do have the ridiculously florid and over the top style. And I can't see a photo for a Richard Bevan that looks remotely like that one.

Wasn't the owners turned up I presume :eek:

Does say at the end that Council have passed it to their lawyers "with the view of taking enforcement action" although I'm not sure whether that means they actually will.

Wasn't the owners turned up I presume :eek:

Does say at the end that Council have passed it to their lawyers "with the view of taking enforcement action" although I'm not sure whether that means they actually will.
I'm not so sure. The campaign group on Facebook have been very quiet and not accepting any posts about the incident (although speculation and an on-going court case and all that), but they do seem to be distancing themselves from the camp, so who knows

Back
Top Bottom