Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

Reading through this just goes to show how flimsy UK laws are around historic/listed buildings and I find this extremely upsetting and infuriating.

I absolutely detest the concept of "wilful neglect" which so many owners of such buildings are guilty of. Some local councils could do more but either won't do so or often can't afford to.

In my home city of Newcastle there's a 15th-century pub called The Cooperage. The current private owners are just happy to let it rot away with no sense of care or appreciation of heritage. They are more interested in the land it sits on and the £££ that land is worth.

There's an online petition to save it and a Facebook page (I can post links if admin are OK with it), but not a lot seems to be happening. :(

Last edited:
Reading through this just goes to show how flimsy UK laws are around historic/listed buildings and I find this extremely upsetting and infuriating.

I absolutely detest the concept of "wilful neglect" which so many owners of such buildings are guilty of. Some local councils could do more but either won't do so or often can't afford to.

In my home city of Newcastle there's a 15th-century pub called The Cooperage. The current private owners are just happy to let it rot away with no sense of care or appreciation of heritage. They are more interested in the land it sits on and the £££ that land is worth.

There's an online petition to save it and a Facebook page (I can post links if admin are OK with it), but not a lot seems to be happening. :(
Post the damn links.

A woman, 34, and a man, 44, both from Leicestershire, have been detained.

They were held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit arson with intent or being reckless as to whether life was endangered, police said.

The pair have since been released on bail while investigations continue, Staffordshire Police added.

Three other men, aged 66, 51 and 33, all previously arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life, remain on bail.

ordered to re build!

Now that's just beautiful.

The owners of The Crooked House pub have been ordered to rebuild "Britain's wonkiest inn" after it was destroyed last year in a suspected arson attack.
South Staffordshire Council has served an enforcement notice on the owners of the pub in Himley, near Dudley.
The council said it had engaged with the owners since the demolition but had reached a point where formal action was considered necessary.
It requires the building to be built back to what it was prior to the fire.
The pub's owners have 30 days to appeal and the notice must be complied with within three years.

Sadly, I'll be surprised if it ever happens.

I wonder if the police are getting nearer to charging anyone.

Back
Top Bottom