Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Night & Day: Manchester music venue sweating on noise court hearing outcome because of one posh resident

Yes, but you haven't answered my question. How would you like to see it practically resolved?
If the Night and Day is acting outside the terms of their license or agreed noise levels as is being alleged, then hopefully them sticking to the terms of their license and agreed noise levels should practically resolve it. If in fact they are operating within the terms of their license and agreed noise levels, the court should find in their favour and it'll all be sorted. If they can't operate within the terms of their license or agreed noise levels without going bust then I guess they aren't actually a viable business.

If the Night and Day is acting outside the terms of their license or agreed noise levels as is being alleged, then hopefully them sticking to the terms of their license and agreed noise levels should practically resolve it. If in fact they are operating within the terms of their license and agreed noise levels, the court should find in their favour and it'll all be sorted. If they can't operate within the terms of their license or agreed noise levels without going bust then I guess they aren't actually a viable business.
Except that lack of 'viability' has only come about by the trendy flats being built next door, long, long after they were already operating.

Smithson said there had only been two other complaints about loud music from the venue in its 31-year history, one of which was believed to be a blackmail attempt

And here's where the problem lies:
Jay Taylor, chair of Greater Manchester’s music commission, a body set up by mayor Andy Burnham, said closing Night & Day would be devastating for live music across the region.

He added: “With regards to the council, they should admit the mistakes that were made when that development went in and remove that noise abatement order, and then make good on that problem – which was a developmental problem, not a problem with the business that exists next door.”

The northern quarter, which was dangerous and dilapidated in the early 90s, is now one of the most sought-after urban living areas in Britain. A penthouse apartment in the warehouse next door costs £440,000. Several other flats are advertised on the same street for upwards of £300,000 – far out of reach for many locals.

It is difficult to say what the solution should be without knowing every last detail tbh.

But I think there's a clue in the fact that the flats were originally let in 2002, and there wasn't a complaint until 2014. That's 12 years of people living there without a problem.

So what changed?

editor said:
Except that lack of 'viability' has only come about by the trendy flats being built next door, long, long after they were already operating.
The complaint from the neighbours is that the night and day are operating outside their agreed noise levels late at night. Should all venues be able to play music as loud and late as they like if they think they need to to make ends meet?
Despite what you said earlier, it seems it is all down to one resident who's recently moved in:
there's reference to multiple complainants in some news stories, including the court report in the MEN from today. Many of the media reports on the story are basically just repeating the night and day's version of events, which is disputed.

It is difficult to say what the solution should be without knowing every last detail tbh.

But I think there's a clue in the fact that the flats were originally let in 2002, and there wasn't a complaint until 2014. That's 12 years of people living there without a problem.

So what changed?
New occupant of the flat?

New occupant of the flat?
Makes no odds a new occupant has the same rights to peace and quiet as someone who predated the venue and the fact that only one has complained is enough. Nor is the number of people who have signed a petition relevant since they don't have to live next to it. How many bands got their start there is also not relevant. Other bands will have to get their start somewhere else if they can't get it there.

With killer b on this.
If the venue is not breaking the terms of its license then the complainant should stop complaining.
If they are breaking the terms then they should abide by them.
If they can't without going bust then they should go bust.

I think it's a difficult situation that isn't aided by the rhetoric being thrown around about it. The main people at fault are the developers and the planning authorities though, and the poor guy who's spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on a flat he can neither sleep in or sell is not really the villain of the piece.
He probably could sell it. After all some Muppet bought it in the first place. :hmm:

Makes no odds a new occupant has the same rights to peace and quiet as someone who predated the venue and the fact that only one has complained is enough. Nor is the number of people who have signed a petition relevant since they don't have to live next to it. How many bands got their start there is also not relevant. Other bands will have to get their start somewhere else if they can't get it there.

With killer b on this.
If the venue is not breaking the terms of its license then the complainant should stop complaining.
If they are breaking the terms then they should abide by them.
If they can't without going bust then they should go bust.
So someone can move in next to a nightlife business and try it get it closed down?
Out of interest does anyone know if it is rented accommodation or someone purchased it?

So what changed?
A Muppet moved in. :(

So someone can move in next to a nightlife business and try it get it closed down?
Out of interest does anyone know if it is rented accommodation or someone purchased it?
Yes they can and it doesn't matter whether its rented or bought.

Makes no odds a new occupant has the same rights to peace and quiet as someone who predated the venue and the fact that only one has complained is enough.
Sorry that's ridiculous. So if someone complains about the noise after moving into a house next to Heathrow or the M25 then they should be shut down?

What about the Muppet townies that move to the country and complain about the smell. Should farms have to close as well?

If you want to live some where peaceful don't move next to a fucking music club. :facepalm:

First house I looked at buying I was told by the solicitor I couldn't complain about the noise from the factory at the end of the street.
Presumably they were keeping to the terms of their license then or possibly the house was built with a covenant which may or may not be totally enforceable. Did you ask him why?

First house I looked at buying I was told by the solicitor I couldn't complain about the noise from the factory at the end of the street.
You'd be within your rights to complain if they started operating 24 hours without warning or permission having previously operated 9-5 tho

Do we know for certain that the complaining resident is posh?
No, but they might well be.

Originally, they were housing association flats designed for people on modest incomes, but with shared ownership options, so you could eventually own outright if you wanted to. It was slightly before you needed a lot of money to live somewhere like that. I would bet most of the original tenants did this and then sold, though, so that would make it social housing only historically. But idk, they might be one of the original tenants.

Not sure how much it affects the issues, though, except fairly cheaply in terms of perception.

Last edited:
Presumably they were keeping to the terms of their license then or possibly the house was built with a covenant which may or may not be totally enforceable. Did you ask him why?
I was told it was because the factory was already there so I couldn't complain about something that should be obvious.

Same goes for those Muppets that buy a house next to a church then complain about the bells. :facepalm:

Not now - when selling it you've got to declare any disputes with neighbours over noise etc... And this, now it's splashed all over the internet, is unlikely to slip under the radar.
Noise should be obvious if moving next door to a music venue though. Property may appeal to music lovers or the deaf. :)

The council has presumably been round with their little meters and took measurements, they wouldn't have gone to all this trouble if they didn't think there was a problem.
Clearly the developer who did the flats has been a bit of a wide boy but that doesn't distract from the tenants rights.

The complainant and the council claim the venue is operating outside it's agreed licensing terms and noise level agreements. Have you read the thread?
Yes I have read the thread. I was responding to your comment about switching from 9-5 to 24 hour operation which the venue hasn't done.

I can't see that it's operating outside it's licensing terms if it previously had late night music previously or is the Muppet complaining about the occasional 5 min overrun?

Regardless planning permission shouldn't have been granted without substantial sound proofing to the flats.

Noise should be obvious if moving next door to a music venue though. Property may appeal to music lovers or the deaf. :)
I would have thought that myself but it may not have all that obvious if he/she viewed it during the day. I presume the flat is one of those in the grey building next door
1669824774992.png

Back
Top Bottom