Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Got to be some interest on here for the Modernist society's 2022 calendar, Estate Pubs of Manchester?

Some folks mentioned Tony Wilson. I didn't know he was denied a drug that could've kept him alive longer, that's sad.

Music journalist Paul Morley has written a biography, which was reviewed by Manchester-publication The Mill.

Can anyone help me with this question please?

Is Manchester airport train station the end of the line? Or do trains keep going?

This should be good: Mr Wilson's Second Liners are playing HOME on Wednesday, 15 December, doing "Leftfield’s iconic debut album – Leftism – gets a signature dose of live brass treatment by Manchester’s favourite raving street band, with special guests."

I was talking about the Night and Day the other day - in a quarter of a century of regular attendance of gigs in Manchester - often more than one in a week - I've never been to one there. Whoever books the shows seems to have a singular talent for booking acts I've no interest in...
Is that place still going!?

Interestingly, someone's put in an application for a venue just up the road

131795/FO/2021 Proposed subdivision of 1no. existing Class E unit into 2no. units, including the change of use of one of the new units into a bar/music venue 60A Oldham Street Manchester M4 1LE

Interestingly, someone's put in an application for a venue just up the road

131795/FO/2021 Proposed subdivision of 1no. existing Class E unit into 2no. units, including the change of use of one of the new units into a bar/music venue 60A Oldham Street Manchester M4 1LE
The stretch of Oldham Street Night & Day is on is actually pretty quiet at night (N&D aside) - I reckon consolidating the louder venues & bars up at the northern end of the road makes sense tbh

can't believe you've never been to Night & Day -- i am 100% sure there have been bands that you'd have been interested in seeing there over the years. but it did have a whiff of pretension about it in the early 2000s when perhaps one was forming one's long-lasting impressions of the venues. killer b

The stretch of Oldham Street Night & Day is on is actually pretty quiet at night (N&D aside) - I reckon consolidating the louder venues & bars up at the northern end of the road makes sense tbh

Yea definitely. This looks to be in the basement aswell, possibly similar size to Soup Kitchen.

Yea definitely. This looks to be in the basement aswell, possibly similar size to Soup Kitchen.
It sucks to be the night and day in this case, but the night time economy is dynamic and constantly in flux, areas change and music venues aren't museums. As long as the need for live music venues is well served - and it is in the NQ in particular - it doesn't bother me too much if a venue that celebrates being the home of early performances by Elbow gets closed down.

I resolve to go to a gig there soon though!

Mind you I just looked at their listings and it's 99% skinny white boy bands.
tbh I don't think it's a great space and rarely go there, maybe once a year....even then the gigs I've seen haven't been that amazing. I'm more inclined to side with the venue than the complainer but I probably wouldn't miss it if it went.

This should be good: Mr Wilson's Second Liners are playing HOME on Wednesday, 15 December, doing "Leftfield’s iconic debut album – Leftism – gets a signature dose of live brass treatment by Manchester’s favourite raving street band, with special guests."

Cor yes please

tbh I don't think it's a great space and rarely go there, maybe once a year....even then the gigs I've seen haven't been that amazing. I'm more inclined to side with the venue than the complainer but I probably wouldn't miss it if it went.
Think the only really great band I've seen there was Shonen Knife, haven't been there to it for much other than that. Last time I was there was a properly miserable occasion but for reasons that had nowt to do with either the bands or the venue. Let's Make This Precious sounds like it would've been quite a fun indie disco but I never really got around to going, and it looks like it's no longer going.

What's does everyone think/know about Stalybridge? As a relative newcomer to living in Greater Manchester I don't know my areas that well. Looked at a house there today and walked around the town, seemed quite pleasent, the people we chatted to in the park when walking the dog were nice and the staff in Weatherspoons were friendly. Has it got a dark side? :hmm:

It's got a decent pub on the train station platform (at least it did when I was last there a few years ago).

Stalybridge Celtic is its dark side :hmm:

I totally forgot I'd been there before some years ago until we were reading about the trans pennine ale trail which I did on a mates stag do. Mind you the day was a bit of a blur!

Back
Top Bottom