Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Alty & Levy are standard Mcr school slang. Sounds a bit daft when you're a grown up, but it's authentic enough. Abbreviation suited old-fashioned graffiti that had to be carved into desks & train doors with a compass. 'Manny' sounds odd to me, but the youngsters are all over it currently.

Yeah, there's a history of racecourses in Salford (& Prestwich/Heaton was originally Salford). Big one at Kersal Moor, another at New Barnes that became Salford docks then Media City, & most recently Castle Irwell, which only closed in the early 60s. I only knew them by their associated pubs - the Paddock on Cross Lane & the Racecourse Hotel on Littleton Road. Pattern of shrinking public & leisure spaces - commons to racecourses to football & rugby grounds, all now getting replaced with housing. Moor Lane & Gigg Lane will be next. Giddy up.

ETA - contemporary painting of the 1835 pre-Grand National races at Heaton Park.

View attachment 166909

What they doing? Building on the moors (Moor Lane) ?

Last edited:
Under normal circumstances I probably would, but I'm still an isolation hermit.

Are you already familiar with Salford/Manc & MediaCity?

I went to manc a lot in 1991-1994. Has it changed much? ;)
I used to work in the Quays and remember walking on the area where media city is and the old infrastructure was still there, trainlines an all. Shame they built on it really - it had a desolate grandeur.

I went to manc a lot in 1991-1994. Has it changed much? ;)
1596125609401.png

"MediaCity", 1992. Should have kept the cranes IMO. Glasgow did 'old docks' better.

I (used to?) work there but I've not been since, I don't know, March, so I don't know what state everything is in. There is stuff in MCUK like restaurants but not a huge amount. The tram to Manchester is a winding journey that takes about 25 mins.

I (used to?) work there but I've not been since, I don't know, March, so I don't know what state everything is in. There is stuff in MCUK like restaurants but not a huge amount. The tram to Manchester is a winding journey that takes about 25 mins.

My customer told me most of the bars and restaurants have re-opened. In normal times, I'd probably head into the city and see if I can find some live music or a bar with some tunes but in the new normal, I suspect I'll have a meal and a beer at the nearest half decent place that is open. :-(

Cheers mauvais - I remember it a bit like that in the mid-90s with plenty of empty land. It was lovely and it's been ruined since. Industrial desolation is a good thing in my view. The BBC has ruined it. :(

Is that the Hulme Crescents in the top of the picture above Pomona? moose

I used to wander down at dinnertime to explore the empty bits of the quays at the time - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice and bleak and often wet and windswept.

Think my grandad worked there at some point when it was proper docks too.

My customer told me most of the bars and restaurants have re-opened. In normal times, I'd probably head into the city and see if I can find some live music or a bar with some tunes but in the new normal, I suspect I'll have a meal and a beer at the nearest half decent place that is open. :-(
If it's open/alive, Craft Brew by the Lowry is the best place for a pint and a sandwich. Dockyard is OK as a pub but the food ain't up to much. Restaurant-wise maybe Shoku was meant to be good but may not have survived. There's a Wagamama, Prezzo, Botanist etc as the usal suspects.

If it's open/alive, Craft Brew by the Lowry is the best place for a pint and a sandwich. Dockyard is OK as a pub but the food ain't up to much. Restaurant-wise maybe Shoku was meant to be good but may not have survived. There's a Wagamama, Prezzo, Botanist etc as the usal suspects.
I was young and deeply irresponsible when I worked there. We went to the pubs on Friday dinner after the Lowry bit had been developed, either stumbled back to work four pints in or rang to ask for the afternoon off. Often got chucked out of pubs for passing out. :oops:

Where even is Greater Manchester? Someone might need to clarify to us Greater Manchester residents that we do actually live in GM for this new lockdown. Here's why. Altrincham, Hale and Bowdon think they're in Cheshire. They're not anymore, they're in Trafford, but are heavily in denial and often driving large Range Rovers and erecting obscene gates (that defeat the object of them living in any beautiful scenery as they can't see it) to ensure people think they're definitely Cheshire. There's a whole load of "Cheshire influencers" in Altrincham and Stockport getting a reality check tonight as to what county they're in. Sale also claims to be in Cheshire but that's just whack. Trafford is home to the Lancashire Cricket Ground, even though it's now geographically closer to Cheshire and definitely not in Lancashire. Stockport kind of thinks it's Cheshire (and in fairness, Hazel Grove and Bramhall are pretty posh). Marple used to be part of Glossop which is actually Derbyshire although Marple was at one point in time, Cheshire. It's now Greater Manchester with a Stockport postcode but kind of still looks a bit Derbyshire-ish and calls itself Cheshire. It's near a whole load of villages filled with people that have no idea where they are and who all look strikingly similar Anyway, over to Wigan, you have Standish - the semi-posh part of Wigan. The top of Standish borders Chorley which actually is genuinely Lancashire. Head across to West Lancs or is it Merseyside? Basically it all starts to sound a bit Scouse as you go towards Skelmersdale. In fact, where the hell does Skelmersdale even fall? Mind you, no one goes to Skem anyway, it's just a sign on the M58). Ah, Bolton. Another proud Lancastrian sat confused in Greater Manchester's sprawl (at least residents of Horwich have Rivington close by for outdoor exercise, which while extremely popular with doggers from across the North West - avoid twilight jogs by the way, is technically Chorley so is in proper Lancashire). Bury, Rochdale and Oldham think they're in Lancashire still (although some parts of Rochdale and Oldham used to be in West Yorkshire and remain confused as to where the border is - somewhere in Saddleworth apparently, maybe near where they built a motorway around some poor farmer's house, or maybe Oldham Mumps wherever that is - you may have seen it on a tram, it's a place not a disease). Many in these towns also drive Range Rovers, although they're best avoided as they tend to be drug dealers and career criminals (there are drug dealers in Cheshire too, but they're posher). This particularly applies to Prestwich, a generally popular area in....well, it's close to the city centre and Salford but calls itself Bury. It's Greater Manchester nonetheless. Now to my old friend Salford. Salford stands alone as a city in a city - is it even "proparrr Manc R kid?" Media City isn't in Manchester really. It's in Salford. But that's Greater Manchester apparently, even though it's a whole separate city with a separate council and pretty pink bins. You'll also find plenty of Range Rovers and huge houses in Worsley, although they don't claim to live in Cheshire, they're Salford done good. They're just focused on pretending they live in Worsley and NOT Swinton despite the M27/M28 postcode giveaway (I once lived near the border and actively engaged in that disillusion myself). Worsley is close to Leigh which is kind of Wigan-ish and down the road from Haydock, which isn't Lancashire any more. It's Merseyside. Even though it's right down the road from Wigan, and therefore Greater Manchester. Phew. Oh, and I've absolutely no idea where Tameside even is - sounds like it's in Newcastle.

Just been looking at this 1793 map - plenty of things still around, but the layout has obviously changed massively since - no railways or canals at this time in the centre. Weird how abruptly the city stops and turns into open space.

Back
Top Bottom