Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

all roads lead to sedgley

where i live has at various times been recorded as ettingshall, coseley, sedgley bilston and wolvo as various borders and authorities changed.

so, this is interesting, mary tustin, who was married to richard haynes and kicked out of broadway worcestershire for being too poor, i mentioned them earlier, hersix or seven times great grandfather was this feller, William Daunce - Wikipedia which means she and i are also from Thomas More - Wikipedia
another execution for treason and another posh line snagged and destroyed.

Last edited:
Newspapers can add some colour if you haven't checked those yet. Ancestry's newspaper search function is shite.

The British Newspaper Archive is good, as is newspapers.com which has some local UK stuff despite being more global.

Thanks to the former I just discovered that my gggggrandfather, a lifelong cowman, won third prize at a country agricultural show in the 1860s for "Labourers in Husbandry who shall have worked the longest time in the same place, or with the same master or mistress, without intermission" having worked on the same farm for 52 years. He got £1 10s which was probably nearly a month's wages.

Last edited:
Newspaper can add some colour if you haven't checked those yet. Ancestry's newspaper search function is shite.

The British Newspaper Archive is good, as is newspapers.com which has some local UK stuff despite being more global.

Thanks to the former I just discovered that my gggggrandfather, a lifelong cowman, won third prize at a country agricultural show in the 1860s for "Labourers in Husbandry who shall have worked the longest time in the same place, or with the same master or mistress, without intermission" having worked on the same farm for 52 years. He got £1 10s which was probably nearly a month's wages.
ta, will check that.

i found a place name in my history! joan dudlick (1533-1580), son of thomas dudlick (1510-1535). she lived in mytton/fitz shropshire. the name comes from dudllewick, which was a place in shropshire. near burwarton, which another ancestor is from.

this one always makes me laugh though,

‘In Wolverhampton,’says Commissioner Home, ‘I found, among others, the following example: A girl of eleven years had attended both day and Sunday school, “had never heard of another world, of Heaven, or another life.”A boy, seventeen years old, did not know that twice two are four, nor how many farthings in two pence even when the money was placed in his hand. Several boys had never heard of London nor of Willenhall, though the latter was but an hour’s walk from their homes, and in the closest relations with Wolverhampton. Several had never heard the name of the Queen nor other names, such as Nelson, Wellington, Bonaparte; but it was noteworthy that those who had never heard even of St Paul, Moses, or Solomon, were very well instructed as to the life, deeds, and character of Dick Turpin, the street-robber, and especially of Jack Sheppard, the thief and gaol-breaker. A youth of sixteen did not know how many twice two are, nor how much four farthings make. A youth of seventeen asserted that four farthings are four half pence; a third, seventeen years old, answered several very simple questions with the brief statement, that he “was ne jedge o’nothin’”. 12 These children who are crammed with religious doctrines four or five years at a stretch, know as little at the end as at the beginning. One child ‘went to Sunday school regularly for five years; does not know who Jesus Christ is, but had heard the name; had never heard of the twelve Apostles, Samson, Moses, Aaron, etc.’13 Another ‘attended Sunday school regularly six years; knows who Jesus Christ was; he died on the cross to save our Saviour; had never heard of St Peter or St Paul’. 14 A third, ‘attended different Sunday schools seven years; can read only the thin, easy books with simple words of one syllable; has heard of the Apostles, but does not know whether St Peter was one or St John; the latter must have been St John Wesley’. To the question who Christ was, Home received the following answers among others. ‘He was Adam’, ‘He was an Apostle’, ‘He was the Saviour’s Lord’s Son’, and from a youth of sixteen: ‘He was a king of London long ago’. In Sheffield, Commissioner Symons let the children from the Sunday school read aloud; they could not tell what they had read, or what sort of people the Apostles were, of whom they had just been reading. After he had asked them all one after the other about the Apostles without securing a single correct answer, one sly-looking little fellow, with great glee, called out: ‘I know, mister; they were the lepers!’

from one gleeful sly looking little fellow to another, i tip my hat.
reading this stuff makes me think of work, ive worked in a foundry, and what if someone came in dressed like the commissioner, asking questions, what sort of answers they would get and what they would think of it. reminds me of me and my mates telling the careers teacher at school we wanted to be things like a shephard. i told the careers teacher i wanted to be a gravedigger because my hobby was digging holes and my mom was getting fed up with what id done to the garden.
we had visitors to the foundry from another business when i was an apprentice and had got the place tidied a bit and all been told to be on our best behaviour. when i saw our top bosses showing their top bosses around i walked past them with the most exagerated limp i could muster, swinging one leg, stiff and straight, in a big arc. two minutes later i did it back the other way but swapped legs.

my mate alan had done his apprenticeship at bilston steelworks, they had visitors from an american company so they made brims for their hard hats out of cardboard to look like cowboys and made little wooden guns. he said they were having quick draw competitions for weeks afterwards. he reckoned the fastest gun in the works was a bloke hilariously named rick o'shea!

Last edited:
my ggg grandmother, mary hill, was born in lye waste, a squatters settlement, mainly nailers i believe, also known as "mud city" or "clay city", in 1824. she may have been fourteen when she got married.

here it is a bit later,
Screenshot_2020-12-15-22-11-41.png

and for those into road planning, or lack of it, here it is now,

Screenshot_2020-12-15-22-11-49.png

Last edited:
dreadful conditions people had to work in.
thinking about this and the time the foundry i worked in forced people to wear their safety equipment. everyone was outraged we had to wear hard hats instead of normal hats and caps and also had to wear ear defenders/plugs and facemasks. there was a lot of resistance. also the phrase you're not a fitter til you've lost a finger didnt deter people, it was more of a badge of honour.
the harder it is, the more we kinda enjoy it.

so, the thread title is all roads lead to sedgley, but so far i am finding that most of the roads on my own personal map seem to start mainly in shropshire, followed by radnorshire, montgomeryshire, staffordshire and herefordshire, with a tiny bit of worcestershire, warwickshire and gloucestershire. if you map them out they seem to correspond with mercia and before that the land of the cornovii. both sides of the river severn.

sedgley itself i can trace ancestors back to a couple born here, one henry born in 1515 who married alice who was born here in 1520.

i have been surprised to find nothing from brum, nothing from ireland, nothing east of coventry, very little east of the western side of the black country, nothing north of telford.
three of my grandparents have ancestors who all seem to come from the same small area on the border of shropshire, herefordshire, montgomeryshire and radnorshire.
also it seems to be almost entirely agricultural labourers, whos children became coal miners, then, as the work changed ironworkers (though one bit of the family seem to be ironworkers going back as far as i can, 1580.)
there is a tiny sliver of gentry/aristocracy that downgraded in 1720 something when she got pregnant out of wedlock to an ironworker but no sign of any middle class anywhere else.

Last edited:
i have found two murder acquittals, a sheepstealing acquittal, a larceny acquittal, three larceny convictions and one for assault with intent to ravish. one geat great grandad was acquitted of stealing brass parts off a steam engine while his mothers brother got convicted at the same trial. the quintessential black country crime of tatting.

i have found two murder acquittals, a sheepstealing acquittal, a larceny acquittal, three larceny convictions and one for assault with intent to ravish. one geat great grandad was acquitted of stealing brass parts off a steam engine while his mothers brother got convicted at the same trial. the quintessential black country crime of tatting.

There's some interesting sentences sometimes. I've just been reading reports of the Norwich Assizes from the 1850s e.g.:

Stealing a gun - one month imprisonment with hard labour
Stealing an old pair of trousers - three month imprisonment with hard labour
Stealing a plank (fourth offence) - transported for ten years

Last edited:
There's some interesting sentences sometimes. I've just been reading reports of the Norwich Assizes from the 1850s e.g.:

Stealing a gun - one month imprisonment with hard labour
Stealing an old pair of trousers - three month imprisonment with hard labour
Stealing a plank (fourth offence) - transported for ten years
i was looking through some local court stuff for wolverhampton and it seemed almost every other one was a boatman involved in an act of violence. their favourite weapon was the winding handle for the lock but they werent averse to pulling out a knife.
ive got at least two boatmen ancestors.

Back
Top Bottom