Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Bit late now, but plenty of Spoons in the city centre, trying to think of places in Spinningfields... I don't know it that well, but I think the Oast House shows football? Lass O'Gowrie's maybe a bit more out of your way but probably nice?
The Lass O'Gowrie is still a decent pub but it's now a Greene King pub with a good selection of beers. Back in the day though, it was its own brew house and you could look through a window to see them making the stuff while you were drinking. It was a very nice brew as well. Alas no more.

Great boozer and scene of many a northern urbs meets.

If I'm over that way I'll drop you a pm.
Seconding the Castle (as a pub in general, don't think they've got tvs though) and is over the road from Gulliver's which is also well worth having a pint in.

Obituaries for Linda Holden - a true class fighter and a mensch, a great loss to Unison and the wider union movement, especially across the Northwest and in HE:

I've only been to Manchester twice which is odd considering I have family there. I did enjoy it last time and I enjoyed the museum that has, all the labour history stuff in it. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Anyone know what I'm on about? Has a great statue outside.

I've only been to Manchester twice which is odd considering I have family there. I did enjoy it last time and I enjoyed the museum that has, all the labour history stuff in it. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Anyone know what I'm on about? Has a great statue outside.
People's History Museum, though I can't recall the statue.

Just remembered the fiasco when the Engels statue in Manchester was rumoured to be under threat due to the lets erase anything Russian period of the Ukraine war

lazythursday that's the one thanks!

The39thStep Yes it's a great piece. By the way, where's the Engles statue? If it's fairly central I'll have a look next time I visit. I get lost too easy so don't tend to venture far!

lazythursday that's the one thanks!

The39thStep Yes it's a great piece. By the way, where's the Engles statue? If it's fairly central I'll have a look next time I visit. I get lost too easy so don't tend to venture far!
It's outside a complex called HOME ( cinema, theatre , events where my eldest daughter got married) down the road from where the Hacienda was.

Cheers
I have been past that HOME place so I have probably walked straight past the statue.

Yeah, think it was only 2017 or so that Engels arrived. If you ever visit the People's History Museum again, might be worth trying to visit the Working Class Movement Library as well since that's just a little bit down the road (in the opposite direction from town and Engels though). Opening hours at WCML are probably a bit more limited though.

The People's History Museum is great. Going up to Manchester in September so might give it another visit.

Apologies for going slightly off the thread purpose, but does anyone else remember when it was in Limehouse (East London)?

1690912993131.png

n 1971, Sinclair's Oyster Rooms in Manchester was raised to street level to preserve its heritage.
This incredible engineering feat involved lifting the entire building - a structure that stood for centuries. It was later relocated again, this time it was dismantled, brick by brick...

Read more here: A Historic Gem Raised and Relocated: Sinclair's Oyster Rooms

1690913150068.png

1690913167490.png

View attachment 385376

n 1971, Sinclair's Oyster Rooms in Manchester was raised to street level to preserve its heritage.
This incredible engineering feat involved lifting the entire building - a structure that stood for centuries. It was later relocated again, this time it was dismantled, brick by brick...

Read more here: A Historic Gem Raised and Relocated: Sinclair's Oyster Rooms

View attachment 385378

View attachment 385379

And it's a Sam Smith's, so used to be a really good option for if you wanted a cheap city centre pint somewhere with a bit more atmosphere than spoons. Not been there since lockdown though.

I didn't know they had moved it - it's longer than i thought since i have set paw in manchester...

Hung out a lot at the Old Welly / Sinclair's when it was in the old, concrete Shambles Square. Which given the rise in popularity recently of that type of architecture would likely be having a renaissance now, but all long gone in favour of that forgettable street where Harvey Nicks is.

Good article. Knew a couple of people who had lived in Hulme (as I suspect did most Urbanites :D ) and heard the stories of the knocked-together party flats. This, from the comments, cracked me up:

'Many fellow drinkers told stories of making their way home in the early hours of the morning and seeing large, hairy but species-ambiguous carcases being carried in to the butcher's shop. I was never more comfortable being a vegetarian.'

Was just coming here to post that. Seems like a bit of a shame that the photography display's running for such a short time, but if anyone's free tomorrow:

Back
Top Bottom