Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

I've not been to the Coffin Works but the Pen Museum is interesting.

The main Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is closed for maintenance work but the separate Gas Hall is open and has an exhibition of the pre Raphaelite and Arts & Crafts usually in the main gallery if you're into that.

You could go to the Think Tank which replaced the old Science Museum but it's not cheap!

Last edited:
Despite the fact we got a soaking while wandering around and the Sabbath Bridge was gone, we quite liked Brum. It seemed relatively free of cars with lots
of open pedestrian areas and lots of canals. Not overly developed yet and not overly expensive. I suspect the coffin works was by guided tour only. It was more about
the fixtures and fittings that went on coffins and lots of reminders not to touch anything. In comparison to London's termini or Clapham Junction the layout and size
of New Street was mad.
All in all a good day out. Really liked the Phil Loach photography in the RBSA. The Pre Raphs in the Birmingham gallery was much bigger but not really my thing.

Well, this is shit news. Have gone to the Electric for years. Always loved the settees and just the history of the place. Birmingham really does feel clapped out and destroyed by cuts and shit politicians at present:

I must admit I've never been inside but I was really gutted to hear that, it's a real piece of cinema history being the oldest continually running cinema which makes Brummies proud to have (along with the first Odeon cinema in Perry Barr).
I wonder if it can possibly be saved?

I must admit I've never been inside but I was really gutted to hear that, it's a real piece of cinema history being the oldest continually running cinema which makes Brummies proud to have (along with the first Odeon cinema in Perry Barr).
I wonder if it can possibly be saved?

I understand a developer wants the land (and the land where The Crown was - where Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin both started) to build flats.

The owner of the Electric hasn’t renewed the lease either, indicating they don’t want to fight.

Depressing.

First the arts budget cuts and now this. Little to attract arts investment or anyone to move here or continue to live in the city which is slowly turning into a cultural vacuum by big, ugly developments, the character of the city slowly being sapped away.

No point moving into the city centre if there is nothing to do or go to.

The city looks and feels particularly grim at present: and that’s before the next round of cuts

Anyone notice how grubby the city is looking already, moreso than usual? There's been a huge litter problem for years because of all the takeaways & fast food outlets, and a substantial number of the population who don't give a shit throwing rubbish and flytipping where possible, litter on most streets, roads, pavements, parks, hedges, roundabouts, wherever, the norm (moreso than any UK city I've visited), but recent weeks it's really looked a shithole, I guess the cuts been felt.

Anyone notice how grubby the city is looking already, moreso than usual? There's been a huge litter problem for years because of all the takeaways & fast food outlets, and a substantial number of the population who don't give a shit throwing rubbish and flytipping where possible, litter on most streets, roads, pavements, parks, hedges, roundabouts, wherever, the norm (moreso than any UK city I've visited), but recent weeks it's really looked a shithole, I guess the cuts been felt.

Yes, as I walked to get the bus last week (it was just going dark and raining tbf) it suddenly struck me that the city centre looks like an absolute shithole. Worst its been since the early 90's.

Grubby, litter strewn, graffiti tags everywhere, boarded up shops, a seeming explosion of the monged out staggering about and to top it off a council crew washing what looked to be human shit off the floor in the St Martin's underpass…and remember, town is allegedly where the council have been focussing their efforts and where the regeneration magic is happening.

By the way, this is before the cuts package voted in last week has even begun to kick in.

I'm guessing this has all been rushed through since the threat to the street, why would it have taken this long to list the pub, have there been previous calls for this? How many other buildings could be graded, or how many in the past could have been saved?

I'm guessing this has all been rushed through since the threat to the street, why would it have taken this long to list the pub, have there been previous calls for this? How many other buildings could be graded, or how many in the past could have been saved?

That appears to be the case. And well done to whoever pushed this through.

Bit, it's abundantly clear that, unlike everywhere else in Britain, there has been no work done here list and protect important buildings - the crooked house, the electric, the crown: all should have been listed years ago but weren't.

The long run fetish of the local political class for cultural vandalism and tearing down beautiful buildings to replace them with monstrosities clearly casts a long shadow.

I’m off to Birmingham in a month, staying two nights fairly central on a Friday and Saturday. Recommendations for dinners and breakfast cafes? Likes - cheap eats, good coffee, almond croissants. Dislikes - busy places, feeling awkward as a solo diner.

I’m off to Birmingham in a month, staying two nights fairly central on a Friday and Saturday. Recommendations for dinners and breakfast cafes? Likes - cheap eats, good coffee, almond croissants. Dislikes - busy places, feeling awkward as a solo diner.

Last time I was passing through this place did pretty good coffee - just outside new street

Back
Top Bottom