Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

I didn't go that often, mostly because I could never find the bloody place! I had to go with friends, otherwise it was hit and miss whether I'd find it. Of course, thus was in the days before Google maps.

The Grants/Afewe was my local.
Years ago two Irish sisters worked there, might have even had the license. After they left I was flying to Spain and one of them was on the drinks trolley and I got a couple of miniatures for free.

Kim's kitchen is the only place to drink in Hulme now. Run by a trio including Billy Morley who you might know The39thStep ? I've had a few good nights in there this year.

Plans for The Junction still haven't been approved, nor those for The Gamecock where the application is for a tower block for students I think. There seemed to be a bit of a campaign against that one.

I lived near The Mancunian for years. For a short while there was a bit of a chippy on the back that sold great steak and kidney pies. Every Sunday there was some kind of rockabilly thing there with a big American car that had a confederate flag in the back window.

Around that time I mostly drank in The Eagle and The White Horse but gravitated towards The Grants when we went to the PSV. The other place I remember playing pool in was The Boatman's Home across the mancunian way and if we were going towards town we'd go in The Pack Horse round by The Boardwalk.

MMU or MMU student union bought The Salutation (the Sally) a while back, turned a community boozer into a student pub.

The problem with positioning a tiny café hospitality/catering business in a local neighbourhood at students, as Grano on Stretford Road found out, is that they fuck off home for Christmas, Easter, and Summer, when many of them fuck off and leave the area altogether, and then your business dies, because you've alienated all the locals by making it clear you're very welcoming towards students, not so welcoming towards the people who live on the business' doorstep, week in, week out, month in, month out, year in, year out. And they sacrificed the longevity of their business on the basis of attracting the custom of people who were going to be around for around 30 weeks, while ignoring and not cultivating the custom of people who've lived there years.

I don't know how the Sally's faring nowadays, I'd guess likewise? Especially with lots of students going home/staying home and studying remotely
I quite like the modern Sally, but don't know what it was like before so can't really compare? In my head, I sort of think of it as a uni staff pub more than as a student pub, but on reflection I suppose that might be because I'm more likely to go to the pub with adults who have jobs in HE than to go drinking with undergrads nowadays?
Plans for The Junction still haven't been approved, nor those for The Gamecock where the application is for a tower block for students I think. There seemed to be a bit of a campaign against that one.
Yeah, the local community campaign around the Gamecock seemed really strong and inspiring to me (again, as an outsider) - an article about it from last year:

Anyone else going to Hackney Colliery Band at Band on the Wall tonight? I've just finished work and decided to go on the spur of the moment. I've seen them before at Shambala and they were brilliant.

Went to the Whitworth yesterday and they have a really great exhibition on atm, Open House - a load of bits from their wallpaper collection (which I always enjoy seeing out anyway) shown alongside large-scale photos of manc people in their living rooms in the 60s/70s/80s etc (chosen because there is interesting wallpaper in the pics I think). There's also an interesting touring contemporary show with some incredible tapestry work and a film about a (I think made up) outsider artist (along with a load of paintings by the same probably fictional artist) with music by St Etienne.

This is amazing:

1659346497162.png

This is the Old Wellington Inn and Sinclair’s Oyster Rooms in Manchester was originally a mid-16th century house.
Here it is photographed in 1971 when it was underpinned and raised to fit the new street level. It was later moved as Shambles Square was developed.
Visit the Historic England Archive to see more photos like this
➡️
https://bit.ly/HistoricEngArchive

Was Sinclair's actually moved twice? I feel like it was moved again after a bombing in the 90s, not an expert though.
Anyway, immigration raid chased out of South Manchester tonight:

Was Sinclair's actually moved twice? I feel like it was moved again after a bombing in the 90s, not an expert though.
Anyway, immigration raid chased out of South Manchester tonight:

Yes. Moved up to Shambles Square, as per the photo.

And then after the 1996 IRA bombing, it was moved to (near) Exchange Square, where it is now.

Lovely afternoon at the Manchester Carnival in Alex Park - hung out mostly at the Community Soundsystem, where all the aging ravers ended up. Great sets from Zed Bias & Bugz in the Attic - if you're at a loose end in manc tomorrow you should go for day 2 I reckon

this story in the graun this morning is pretty wild. Manchester is plagued by this hack's terrible paintings, and now it looks like they're all going to be there forever. great stuff.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, also commended Aitch for fixing the mistake.

“It should never have happened and he shouldn’t have been put in this position. Ian is a true icon of our city. He must be fully restored and left in his place for time in memoriam. Thanks to everyone for showing what Ian means to us,”

Hello!

I’m stopping off in Manchester for a night on the way back from a holiday in Northumbria in early October.

I want to visit the Imperial War museum north and the runway visitor park at the airport to add another Concorde to my list. Was considering the Hilton hotel at Old Trafford cricket ground as an overnight stop as it’s by the IWM (would probably do the runway park the following day as I head down south).

Is there anything to do in the area by the hotel in the evening? I wouldn’t mind an interesting pub where I could get some grub if it’s walkable. Or as I think the hotel is near or by a tram stop, open to suggestions in the city centre too provided its not too much hassle to get to.

I don’t think I’ll arrive in time to do any museums etc in the centre of Manchester but please suggest things just in case - I’m quite into military and social / industrial history and art :)

Don't really know that area very well, but if you're into social/industrial history the People's History Museum has got to be worth a trip? Don't really know the area round Old Trafford, it's always looked a bit of a wasteland when I've passed through - I'd hop on the tram and head to the city centre if I were you.

Yeah, I don't think the area round Old Trafford has that much going on beyond the obvious MUFC-related stuff, but you would be very close to a tram stop so going to town sounds like the best option. There area does definitely have a very big Tesco, if that's a draw at all?
Also if you do decide to go to PHM, could take it a step further and visit the Working Class Movement Library that's just nearby as well? You might need an appointment for that one.

Science & industry museum isn't far from the PHM too, that's probably worth a trip. Could recommend a load of great places to have tea in that vicinity, what kind of food are you interested in getting?

Thanks - those museums sound just the ticket. I’ll see if I can arrange my plans so I have time to get into the centre on the day I arrive as the hotel should let me leave my car there early.

Food wise, probably looking for a decent burger or pub grub (boring I know) before I head back to the hotel

Hello!

I’m stopping off in Manchester for a night on the way back from a holiday in Northumbria in early October.

I want to visit the Imperial War museum north and the runway visitor park at the airport to add another Concorde to my list. Was considering the Hilton hotel at Old Trafford cricket ground as an overnight stop as it’s by the IWM (would probably do the runway park the following day as I head down south).

Is there anything to do in the area by the hotel in the evening? I wouldn’t mind an interesting pub where I could get some grub if it’s walkable. Or as I think the hotel is near or by a tram stop, open to suggestions in the city centre too provided its not too much hassle to get to.

I don’t think I’ll arrive in time to do any museums etc in the centre of Manchester but please suggest things just in case - I’m quite into military and social / industrial history and art :)
I wouldn't have said the Hilton Old Trafford cricket ground is 'by' the IWM North, as that would indicate, to me, that it was very close, in the immediate vicinity, and it's not at all.

Google maps directions puts it at a 24 minute walk. I'd say that something was 'by' somewhere if it was within 5 minutes radius, 10 absolute tops.

There are several other hotels closer. Try searching for hotels Salford Quays, there's a Premier Inn, Travelodge, Ibis, Holiday Inn, Copthorne, Marriott, etc.

And the advantage of those is that Salford Quays has some bars and restaurants, whereas there's not much round Old Trafford cricket ground, tbh.

I wouldn't have said the Hilton Old Trafford cricket ground is 'by' the IWM North, as that would indicate, to me, that it was very close, in the immediate vicinity, and it's not at all.

Google maps directions puts it at a 24 minute walk. I'd say that something was 'by' somewhere if it was within 5 minutes radius, 10 absolute tops.

There are several other hotels closer. Try searching for hotels Salford Quays, there's a Premier Inn, Travelodge, Ibis, Holiday Inn, Copthorne, Marriott, etc.

And the advantage of those is that Salford Quays has some bars and restaurants, whereas there's not much round Old Trafford cricket ground, tbh.
Ah but the Hilton stay won’t cost me any cash - hence why it’s the right (and indeed only) option for me. But you’re right “by” wasn’t the right choice of word, “near” was. And I’m arriving by car should have said that!

Last edited:
I was going to say that they're both on the tram system, but thinking about it they're on different lines, so you'd need to get the tram from OT back into town and then change, which makes it a bit pointless really. It doesn't seem like too long of a walk to me, but then I don't mind walking?

Back
Top Bottom