Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

50 years

Just over 50 years since the first era of UK offshore pirate radio came to an end, after the two Radio Caroline ships were towed in by the tender supply company for non-payment for services.

Of course, offshore pirate radio reappeared in the 70s, and later again in the 80s.

Here's the UK top 30 for late August 1968:

Official Singles Chart Top 40 | Official Charts Company

Any day now Hey Jude is going to be released.

Na na na na

Meanwhile Soviet troops are all over Czechoslovakia like a rash and tomorrow Sobers is going to get six sixes in one over.

And I am 11.

ETA: In November when I'm 12 I'm going to buy Albatross by Fleetwood Mac with some of my birthday money. My first record purchase apart from Pinky and Perky.

Last edited:
I really thought that a name of Sir Garfild Sobers would be a joke, but apparently he was real. Oh well, cricket and daft names.

Edit: Oops. Sorry, it is not that he *was* real, but that he *is* real:Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers. Garfield Sobers - Wikipedia
Wonderful name.

Possibly tricky though, in a pub or a hotel "Good evening. I am Mr Sobers and I would like a drink, please."

Last edited:
I was a very alert and impressionable 15 year old then, and all the things mentioned (and stuff earlier) feels very contemporary to me.
the Russian tanks, Gary Sobers the White Album still feel to me to have a kind of freshness as a vibrant event that was part of shaping my life.
It was also the year I lost my innocence as it were, and I remember that like it was yesterday.

My Lai happened back in March, but the full horror would take another year or so to be revealed. Only one US soldier was convicted - hundreds were massacred.

Jees, thank you, thats just knocked the stuffing out of me. I cycled around Viet Nam a few years ago and that must have been one of the most moving, tragic places I have ever visited followed by Marble Mountain :(

Jees, thank you, thats just knocked the stuffing out of me. I cycled around Viet Nam a few years ago and that must have been one of the most moving, tragic places I have ever visited followed by Marble Mountain :(

Liked but not liked, iykwim. Would love to visit there one day.

Back
Top Bottom