Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Falklands 40 years on ..

Lol. You should do a bit of fact checking before you splash this stuff up, Ska.

Especially if your source is the Argentine Foreign Minister, writing in The Guardian! ;)

Last edited:
Really interesting

includes the fact that the British government dont allow commercial flights between Argentina and the Falklands
It's the same old reiteration of the claim. Interesting that the line seems to be that Argentina seeks to respect the 'interests' and 'way of life' of the inhabitants, but not their wishes.

I think it's definitely time for RAF Shannon within a wider Limerick protectorate - I mean, I know it's 300 miles from the UK, that it has a functioning democracy where its electorate have repeatedly confirmed their desire to remain Irish Citizens within an independent Irish state, but we'd offer them UK citizenship or money to leave, and the pope said we could have it 900 years ago, and you know, it would make us feel good.

Honestly, there are some people - both here and at the Grinaud - who are thicker than a Lion's Boxing Day turd...

I think it's definitely time for RAF Shannon within a wider Limerick protectorate - I mean, I know it's 300 miles from the UK, that it has a functioning democracy where its electorate have repeatedly confirmed their desire to remain Irish Citizens within an independent Irish state, but we'd offer them UK citizenship or money to leave, and the pope said we could have it 900 years ago, and you know, it would make us feel good.

Honestly, there are some people - both here and at the Grinaud - who are thicker than a Lion's Boxing Day turd...

Oi. Bugger off Tommy Atkins! 🇮🇪

IMG_20220324_091426_6.jpg
Seen in Dublin a couple of weeks ago

The trouble with the Falklands debate is that all the decent political posters know that the Argentine position on it is a total loser, so they steer well clear of it. That just leaves the 'UK bad, everyone else good' clowns, who just aren't up to snuff, and get incinerated within seconds of posting. We need some new lefties!

I watched the documentary, Tony Wilson really got a pasting didn't he? Came across like the classic stereotype chinless wonder. I was amazed how much his fellow officers laid into him.

I didn't realise how close it all came to disaster at times (and was an actual disaster in places), learnt a lot about the war. Sounded fucking horrible up on those mountains for the foot soldiers.

One thing it didn't touch on was the epic air raid organised by the RAF to bomb Stanley. It didn't make much impact but it was a hell of a thing to organise and carry out.

The Operation Black Buck raids were staged from RAF Ascension Island, close to the Equator. The Vulcan was designed for medium-range missions in Europe and lacked the range to fly to the Falklands without refuelling several times. The RAF's tanker planes were mostly converted Handley Page Victor bombers with similar range, so they too had to be refuelled in the air. A total of eleven tankers were required for two Vulcans (one primary and one reserve), a daunting logistical effort as all aircraft had to use the same runway. The Vulcans carried either twenty-one 1,000-pound (450 kg) bombs internally or two or four Shrike anti-radar missiles externally. Of the five Black Buck raids flown to completion, three were against Stanley Airfield's runway and operational facilities, while the other two were anti-radar missions using Shrike missiles against a Westinghouse AN/TPS-43 long-range 3D radar in the Port Stanley area. Shrikes hit two of the less valuable and rapidly replaced secondary fire control radars, causing some casualties among the Argentine crews. One Vulcan was nearly lost when a fuel shortage forced it to land in Brazil.

I watched the documentary, Tony Wilson really got a pasting didn't he? Came across like the classic stereotype chinless wonder. I was amazed how much his fellow officers laid into him.

I didn't realise how close it all came to disaster at times (and was an actual disaster in places), learnt a lot about the war. Sounded fucking horrible up on those mountains for the foot soldiers.

One thing it didn't touch on was the epic air raid organised by the RAF to bomb Stanley. It didn't make much impact but it was a hell of a thing to organise and carry out.

The Operation Black Buck raids were staged from RAF Ascension Island, close to the Equator. The Vulcan was designed for medium-range missions in Europe and lacked the range to fly to the Falklands without refuelling several times. The RAF's tanker planes were mostly converted Handley Page Victor bombers with similar range, so they too had to be refuelled in the air. A total of eleven tankers were required for two Vulcans (one primary and one reserve), a daunting logistical effort as all aircraft had to use the same runway. The Vulcans carried either twenty-one 1,000-pound (450 kg) bombs internally or two or four Shrike anti-radar missiles externally. Of the five Black Buck raids flown to completion, three were against Stanley Airfield's runway and operational facilities, while the other two were anti-radar missions using Shrike missiles against a Westinghouse AN/TPS-43 long-range 3D radar in the Port Stanley area. Shrikes hit two of the less valuable and rapidly replaced secondary fire control radars, causing some casualties among the Argentine crews. One Vulcan was nearly lost when a fuel shortage forced it to land in Brazil.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd thoroughly recommend Vulcan 607.

Brilliant account of Black Buck.

There was a fairly in depth documentary about it on the 30th anniversary coverage

The documentary was actually quite disappointing - Wilson was sub-optimal but most of the poor plays he made were because of the poor hands he was dealt by Army and MOD.

In choosing two units on Public Duties (Welsh Guards and Scots Guards), instead of two light inf Bn's on the readiness list, the Army forced Wilson's hand. Neither of those units were fit or hard enough to walk across E Falkland in the way RM's or Paras had, and nor could they live outside at San Carlos or Mount Kent to secure the logistics bases - worth noting that Julian Thompson, the boss of 3 Cdo Bde, used 40 Cdo RM to secure the logistics lines across the island and to act as his reserve - and he considered them to be his best performing unit in a Bde with 3 RM Cdo's and 2 Para Bn's.

Back
Top Bottom