Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

got a reply from fox project. I've ordered the injury pills (didn't even know they existed)

In addition to the Fox Project, I also recommend the National Fox Welfare Society

In addition to the Fox Project, I also recommend the National Fox Welfare Society

I’m going to ignore any discussion about their homeopathic mange treatment, except to say that yes, I know the NFWS gives out free homeopathic remedies and no, I’m not advocating it’s use.

The purpose of my post was to alert folk that there is also another organisation we can contact for advice and guidances about how to help injured foxes in our neighbourhoods.

What carriers do people use or recommend?

I’ve got a huge one that is excellent, if a bit grubby and worn, but it takes up so much storage space and is hefty and weighty to carry to and from the vet. I’m looking for a smaller lighter one.

Cat isn’t a marauder, isn't an escape artist, and of medium build.

View attachment 334770

At the vet, getting weighed up for flea medicine. Apparently they need to be checked every year. Is this new? I seem.to remember just getting repeat orders forever from other vets.

I guess this is more responsible but it's definitely not as easy.
Cute boy!

I feel your pain, I've just noticed Lilith scratching quite vigorously. She seems well enough in herself but if she's got fleas I need to get it nipped in the bud before it causes problems, like anaemia for example. I just spoke to my vet who say they'll dispense flea treatments at £33 per month. As for the yearly check up, yeah, that's a thing, although not specifically for fleas, it's a general exam to make sure everything's tickety boo. Lilith's is due in November at which point she'll also have her annual booster jab.

I just spoke to my vet who say they'll dispense flea treatments at £33 per month.

how bloody much?

i seem to remember that i got flea treatments for the mogs from the vets' rather than the stuff on the shelves in shops, but even allowing for inflation, i'm sure it wasn't anything like that much

and if she has got fleas, you'll need to think about doing something with the house as well...

Home now, and he’s in good shap.

A couple of snaps from last night's night-time stroll. We tried a new route that took us closer to The Big Road than we’ve been before. Cat was very curious and sat on the brick pier for a long time watching the traffic. He's pretty traffic savvy, so far as I can tell. And he never goes the couple of blocks to The Big Road on his own. I took him through the estates and we found a big deserted patch of desiccated grass with a couple of slender young trees. Cat was delighted and bounded about like a happy puppy let off the lead, then leapt up one of the trees with a tiny little shout of joy. Despite his size (vet has just told me “he’s a big boy… 5.7 kilos… no, not overweight, he’s tall”) he’s got a wee little voice and no real meow to speak of. I sat and waited til he was ready to leave, hoping that no one indoors was being spooked by us lurking about outside the back of their flats. As we wandered back towards more familiar territory a B&W tom spotted him and began to stalk him. I watched them like a benign hands-off god, assuming he’d be watching his back but no, he seemed oblivious, just happy to be prancing about seeking new smells and spots. So I threw out the Prime Directive stuff and made myself look large, like a space invader, and marched towards the other tom, being quiet so as not to wake anyone. My chap looked up at me with the WTF look, then realised and we fled together, up the stairs and away, and if he could laugh out loud at the larks, I think he would have.

20220727_000003.jpg20220727_000022.jpg

Last edited:
how bloody much?

i seem to remember that i got flea treatments for the mogs from the vets' rather than the stuff on the shelves in shops, but even allowing for inflation, i'm sure it wasn't anything like that much

and if she has got fleas, you'll need to think about doing something with the house as well...

I’ve just paid £58 for three months of flea treatment.

I don’t have carpets so I’ve decided to save the money and not buy the spray. I’ll hoover and set some Wikihow flea traps, and just live with the scratch-scratch of flea bites til they all die. So long as I stay on top of the cat’s flea medications I should be alright.

View attachment 334770

At the vet, getting weighed up for flea medicine. Apparently they need to be checked every year. Is this new? I seem.to remember just getting repeat orders forever from other vets.

On the way home, he burrowed under the blanket and hid with just his nose and eyes peeking out. Next time, I’ll make sure I cover the box with a cloth box so he isn’t obliged to observe the world.

I had a cat who hated the feel of skin under her paws. She’d never ever touch bare skin with her bare paws. If I was wearing shorts or had a towel around my waist while sitting at a moment she needed to sit in my lap, she’d hunch up at the top of my thighs as if she was playing the Molten Lava game. And I couldn’t cuddle her if I had short sleeves on in case her paws came into contact with bare skin.

What carriers do people use or recommend?

I’ve got a huge one that is excellent, if a bit grubby and worn, but it takes up so much storage space and is hefty and weighty to carry to and from the vet. I’m looking for a smaller lighter one.

Cat isn’t a marauder, isn't an escape artist, and of medium build.
We have a tough fabric one with a folding metal frame inside, so it packs away pretty flat. I can't remember the name, so will take a look when I can get it down off the shelf. It's got mesh panels all round for air and looking through, and a sturdy carrying handle. It's pretty light without Himself in.

15774764_10209797836235235_9064613196712311075_o.jpeg

That looks great moose . Just the thing. And thank you for the offer to check.

Cat being a hefty 5.7 kilos even without the carry box means I really do need a lightweight box for him! This current box has got to be at least 3 kilos itself. It’s huge!

We had our first visitor today. Tim was hilariously weird. I mean, he was born in a house with seven humans and two dogs, but he’s become accustomed to it being the two of us.

He did the whole arched back thing for a while. But he also did things he doesn’t usually, like voluntarily going upstairs (usually only if looking for me, and sometimes not even then, preferring to sit at the bottom and cry). On one such mission he found a dead leaf from a plant and brought it downstairs to us very deliberately. He barely napped, until after the guest had gone - tho has been mostly asleep since. He also scratched me on the forehead just now, while walking around the back of the sofa. Might be a coincidence, as might the other new things, but it feels developmental.

Tomorrow night he’s been here a week. He’s also much bigger and less skinny.

I also bought a flea comb. He was very tolerant of that and I had a great afternoon drowning fleas and eggs. (He didn’t have lots. Maybe five fleas, though I guess some others might be lurking in the carpet. Will rinse and repeat.

Have registered him with a vet and am awaiting an appointment for jabs and chipping. Also suspect he has ear mites, poor baby.

little stripey kittehs

WS-Gaysha-tiger-cubs.jpg

at teh london zoo - more here

View attachment 334770

Annual vet check and vaccinations is usual. More frequently for elderly cats.

This is good.

I get flea treatment monthly from the vet (I do it monthly because Jakey is old and losing weight so I can't really order 3 months worth in advance without the dose possibly being wrong) and it costs £15 a month. It's important to get the right flea treatment, using any old shit can result in fleas becoming resistant to it (and some off the shelf treatments can be downright harmful), so make sure to use the one your vet recommends making sure the dose is correct for the weight as that will be right for your pet and the flea situation in your part of the world - you can then go and purchase it elsewhere which might be cheaper, but do make sure that it is the one your vet says at the right type and dose for your pet (dog and cat flea treatments contain different chemicals which may cause harm to the wrong species, so do not mix and match - I know someone who lost 2 cats in an awful tragedy due to accidentally giving a dog flea treatment)

Last edited:
We had our first visitor today. Tim was hilariously weird. I mean, he was born in a house with seven humans and two dogs, but he’s become accustomed to it being the two of us.

He did the whole arched back thing for a while. But he also did things he doesn’t usually, like voluntarily going upstairs (usually only if looking for me, and sometimes not even then, preferring to sit at the bottom and cry). On one such mission he found a dead leaf from a plant and brought it downstairs to us very deliberately. He barely napped, until after the guest had gone - tho has been mostly asleep since. He also scratched me on the forehead just now, while walking around the back of the sofa. Might be a coincidence, as might the other new things, but it feels developmental.

Tomorrow night he’s been here a week. He’s also much bigger and less skinny.

I also bought a flea comb. He was very tolerant of that and I had a great afternoon drowning fleas and eggs. (He didn’t have lots. Maybe five fleas, though I guess some others might be lurking in the carpet. Will rinse and repeat.

Have registered him with a vet and am awaiting an appointment for jabs and chipping. Also suspect he has ear mites, poor baby.

I’ve heard that you’ll only ever find 10% of the fleas that are actually living in your house.

No idea if this is true.

Epona, if your Jakey lives indoors, is he still liable to get fleas? How does that happen?

I don’t get how indoor cats get fleas. :confused:

Fleas lay their eggs on grass, you walk through grass and bring them in on your shoes/ends of your trousers.
Or you get mice coming in or nearby and they bring fleas in.
I did think for a long time that having indoor only cats meant that we didn't need to treat for fleas or take preventative measures (and we were lucky for many years) but have since well and truly learned my lesson.
We have occasional terrible battles with fleas despite Jakey (and our previous departed cats) being indoor only.
I would recommend treating indoor-only cats for fleas and other parasites as per vet advice.

Fleas lay their eggs on grass, you walk through grass and bring them in on your shoes/ends of your trousers.
Or you get mice coming in or nearby and they bring fleas in.
I did think for a long time that having indoor only cats meant that we didn't need to treat for fleas or take preventative measures (and we were lucky for many years) but have since well and truly learned my lesson.
We have occasional terrible battles with fleas despite Jakey (and our previous departed cats) being indoor only.

How annoying. To have indoor cats and outdoor fleas.

Back
Top Bottom