Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I’ve just paid £58 for three months of flea treatment.

I don’t have carpets so I’ve decided to save the money and not buy the spray. I’ll hoover and set some Wikihow flea traps, and just live with the scratch-scratch of flea bites til they all die. So long as I stay on top of the cat’s flea medications I should be alright.
Yeah, I got the wrong end of the stick, it was £33 per quarter. But my vet do a Health Club plan which covers all the things my pet insurance doesn't - flea and worming treatment, vaccinations etc. I had to pay £202 upfront which covers us for a year. It might sound like a lot but it's actually cheaper than paying individually every time you see the vet.

Which reminds me. Cat insurance? My vet charges £12/month for their in-house plan. Does that sound competitive? Other recommendations?

Three brothers

PXL-20220724-213153508.jpg

Sushi started having seizures last night which lasted in the region of 30 minutes. These have continued into today and he has been put down at the vet.

Bye Bye Sushi 😢

This has been so traumatic for MrsA and lil'Angel, mainly due to the fact that Sushi went from being well to being put down in just 13 hours.

We rescue cats from a local centre.
Our first cat from there, Cosmo, was also put down a few years back so we're catless atm.
Until midday today anyway :D

We've rescued a 10yr old cat whose owner has died (Cosmo and Sushi were both strays when they arrived at the animal rescue place).

So that's a nice thing to do - to give an older cat a nice place to live after what must have been a traumatic few weeks for her.

Photos later/tomorrow I'm sure.

This has been so traumatic for MrsA and lil'Angel, mainly due to the fact that Sushi went from being well to being put down in just 13 hours.

We rescue cats from a local centre.
Our first cat from there, Cosmo, was also put down a few years back so we're catless atm.
Until midday today anyway :D

We've rescued a 10yr old cat whose owner has died (Cosmo and Sushi were both strays when they arrived at the animal rescue place).

So that's a nice thing to do - to give an older cat a nice place to live after what must have been a traumatic few weeks for her.

Photos later/tomorrow I'm sure.

It is lovely to hear about your caring attitude.
I wonder how you (and others) settle on cat names…you may have to pick one today unless the rescue cat already has one.

It is lovely to hear about your caring attitude.
I wonder how you (and others) settle on cat names…you may have to pick one today unless the rescue cat already has one.

Well, the strays are given names at the rescue place, so they've only had that name temporarily, so we've renamed those cats.
Cosmo after Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld because that is how the cat used to enter a room. Sushi was picked by lil'Angel because she likes Japanese stuff.

This new cat has lived with a lady for 10 years and already has a name. The owner passed away, the cat was taken in by a neighbour who didn't really want a cat.

I think we'll have to use that name or she'll get confused. Tinkerbell, by the way. lil'Angel is adamant she can retrain the cat into a new name but I have my doubts.

I wonder how adaptable cats are when it comes to changes of name? I suspect they would get used to it fairly quickly.

I would not have chosen Esteé for mine, but that's what she arrived with and it's been her name for nine years, and it's on her birth certificate and vaccination documents so I wouldn't change it. That said, my pronunciation is very different from her original owner, so it's as good as a new name anyway.

So sorry for your loss Throbbing Angel, that must have been desperately sad. I did the same thing last Oct - our lovely Osh had to be put down and we adopted a formerly stray 10 yo within a week! It was a bit weird at first and the poor cat got compared a lot to her predecessor (usually unfavourably :D ) but - I suspect like you - we couldn't live without a cat.

Pics of Tinkerbell please?

how bloody much?

i seem to remember that i got flea treatments for the mogs from the vets' rather than the stuff on the shelves in shops, but even allowing for inflation, i'm sure it wasn't anything like that much

and if she has got fleas, you'll need to think about doing something with the house as well...
We do that Proactive Pets thingy, £13 per month for each of them buy it includes all flea and worm treatment for the year + annual consultation and jabs + 25% off anything we may buy (e.g. flea spray / food).

You can get 6 pipettes of Stronghold on line for "about" £32 - that's six months worth - but you'll need a prescription from your vet - ours charges £15 for a prescription that's valid for 6 months worth of meds - so for less than £50 you can give one cat 6 months of what is currently the "gold standard" of flea treatment - the vet "might" need to see the cat every 6 months . . . maybe

So sorry for your loss Throbbing Angel, that must have been desperately sad. I did the same thing last Oct - our lovely Osh had to be put down and we adopted a formerly stray 10 yo within a week! It was a bit weird at first and the poor cat got compared a lot to her predecessor (usually unfavourably :D ) but - I suspect like you - we couldn't live without a cat.

Pics of Tinkerbell please?

Sorry to hear about Osh.

The unable to live without a cat is the same reason here in the Angel household.

Pics later. She got out of the carrier and has stayed under the sofa since. She's getting used to the place, us, etc.

Which reminds me. Cat insurance? My vet charges £12/month for their in-house plan. Does that sound competitive? Other recommendations?

Check whether that is actual insurance (cover for accidents and illness), or a payment plan for vaccinations and flea/worm treatments - eg. Goddard Vet Group (big chain of vets in London) do the latter which they call ProActive Pets - now that is also worth doing as it will save you money on regular care and may offer discounts on stuff that isn't covered by insurance, but it is not pet insurance and will not cover the costs that insurance would in the event of accident or illness - so please check what is being offered. I highly doubt that a vet is offering their own insurance (if they do seem to be doing that, check who is underwriting that insurance, if the vet is acting more as a broker - and I wouldn't actually trust a vet that was taking £12 a month for its own insurance, as a small business would not be able to provide care for a very expensive medical condition on that basis so their medical advice may be skewed by that if your cat develops an expensive condition or needs a lot of surgery), it's more likely to be a wellness plan which gives a small discount on regular care.

In terms of insurance, I think PetPlan are fucking marvellous, and many vets deal direct with them so you don't have to pay the vet then claim back. My departed moggie boy Radar had really high vet bills during his life (unfortunate poor wee mite in terms of his health, he racked up around £10k in vet bills) and PetPlan always paid up without any quibble. I can't praise them highly enough.

Sorry, edited a few times to add thoughts and this post has turned into a rambling mess...

Last edited:
Check whether that is actual insurance (cover for accidents and illness), or a payment plan for vaccinations and flea/worm treatments - eg. Goddard Vet Group (big chain of vets in London) do the latter which they call ProActive Pets - now that is also worth doing as it will save you money on regular care and may offer discounts on stuff that isn't covered by insurance, but it is not pet insurance and will not cover the costs that insurance would in the event of accident or illness - so please check what is being offered. I highly doubt that a vet is offering their own insurance (if they do seem to be doing that, check who is underwriting that insurance, if the vet is acting more as a broker - and I wouldn't actually trust a vet that was taking £12 a month for its own insurance, as a small business would not be able to provide care for a very expensive medical condition on that basis so their medical advice may be skewed by that if your cat develops an expensive condition or needs a lot of surgery), it's more likely to be a wellness plan which gives a small discount on regular care.

In terms of insurance, I think PetPlan are fucking marvellous, and many vets deal direct with them so you don't have to pay the vet then claim back. My departed moggie boy Radar had really high vet bills during his life (unfortunate poor wee mite in terms of his health, he racked up around £10k in vet bills) and PetPlan always paid up without any quibble. I can't praise them highly enough.

Sorry, edited a few times to add thoughts and this post has turned into a rambling mess...
No really. That’s very helpful. Almost certainly not insurance then. So I’ll need that and insurance. He’s going to cost more to run than my car!

No really. That’s very helpful. Almost certainly not insurance then. So I’ll need that and insurance. He’s going to cost more to run than my car!

I'm glad if any of that was remotely coherent tbh :D

If it turns out that deal is your vet advertising a recognised and underwirtten pet insurance service that it has an agreement with for direct payment of claims to them, that might well be a good idea to go with that one as that is a worthwhile convenience feature - I can't imaging having to have found the funds to pay for some of Radar's bills (could have bought a bloody car with that amount!) and then wait to claim it back, the fact the insurer dealt direct with the vet was brilliant.

Yeah, I got the wrong end of the stick, it was £33 per quarter. But my vet do a Health Club plan which covers all the things my pet insurance doesn't - flea and worming treatment, vaccinations etc. I had to pay £202 upfront which covers us for a year. It might sound like a lot but it's actually cheaper than paying individually every time you see the vet.
We do something similar for our moggies. It’s not cheap but is cheaper than buying them individually.

Back
Top Bottom