Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Lil’ Bob is a sweetie and would never use those fangs in anger. He’s brought in little birds - holding them very gingerly between his jaws. He’s a scientist and wants to know how everything works and has only accidentally killed things. His brother Vic is a different story 😾

I had a v e r y late night last night, got home around 5. Cat was nowhere to be seen and didn't come when called. Turned up while I was brushing my teeth and came and sat against my leg, and then didn't leave my side til after breakfast this morning... well, afternoon tbh.... I offered to go for a dawn stroll with him but nope, he just wanted to be right beside me. Woke up with him laying on my arm and purring. I guess he missed me while I was out.

Lil’ Bob is a sweetie and would never use those fangs in anger. He’s brought in little birds - holding them very gingerly between his jaws. He’s a scientist and wants to know how everything works and has only accidentally killed things. His brother Vic is a different story 😾

Aye my Sonic had the nickname (one of many) "Vampire Kitty" because his fangs were so prominent. He certainly wasn't a biter. A couple of times when he wanted my attention he would put his mouth on me and glare at me but it wasn't in seriousness and he never actually bit. Never caught anything either, hunting was beneath him - he was definitely a sit on a velvet cushion and look imperious type of cat :D

Some Jakey photos:

It's all a matter of perspective...

Perspective.JPG

Skinny sleepy boy with lovely pawsies...

Jakey Woodle Brains 2.JPG

A feature of the OSH is the triangular (or wedge) shaped face. This is my view a lot of the time when he is on my lap ❤️

Wedge shaped head.JPG

My lovely old boy, I adore him ❤️ He is so sweet and gentle.

I had a v e r y late night last night, got home around 5. Cat was nowhere to be seen and didn't come when called. Turned up while I was brushing my teeth and came and sat against my leg, and then didn't leave my side til after breakfast this morning... well, afternoon tbh.... I offered to go for a dawn stroll with him but nope, he just wanted to be right beside me. Woke up with him laying on my arm and purring. I guess he missed me while I was out.

On last night’s stroll he came and sat by my leg as we waited to cross the street, like a dog coming to heel. He bounded about less, just walking alongside me most of the time. He likes it best when I’m walking at heel-scuffing speed. We walked further along a street than we normally do, because he went ahead and looked back, waiting for me to follow. A bit further along he got very interested in a particular gate, and then crept under it and disappeared. One of those tall gates you can’t look through, and it was tight around the edges so I couldn’t peer around it. I guess something must have smelt very appealing cos he was in there for quite a while. I started to worry and think thoughts about possibly regretting his increasing boldness, having to try to gain entry, maybe ringing the bell, come back in the morning... I gave the whistle, called his name, then walked a bit away and did the same, hoping he’d hear that my voice was moving further away to make him think “uh-oh, time to catch up!” And out he popped and came trotting along. The ongoing mystery of what our cats get up to when out of our sight...

On last night’s stroll he came and sat by my leg as we waited to cross the street, like a dog coming to heel. He bounded about less, just walking alongside me most of the time. He likes it best when I’m walking at heel-scuffing speed. We walked further along a street than we normally do, because he went ahead and looked back, waiting for me to follow. A bit further along he got very interested in a particular gate, and then crept under it and disappeared. One of those tall gates you can’t look through, and it was tight around the edges so I couldn’t peer around it. I guess something must have smelt very appealing cos he was in there for quite a while. I started to worry and think thoughts about possibly regretting his increasing boldness, having to try to gain entry, maybe ringing the bell, come back in the morning... I gave the whistle, called his name, then walked a bit away and did the same, hoping he’d hear that my voice was moving further away to make him think “uh-oh, time to catch up!” And out he popped and came trotting along. The ongoing mystery of what our cats get up to when out of our sight...
He really loves you.

As you walk into our front door, you can see the lounge at the back of the house. Lilith likes to sit on the outside window ledge in the garden and she comes running inside to greet me as I walk in the door.

Bella keeping an watchful eye

PXL-20220801-180757187.jpg

PXL-20220801-180734476.jpg

I stood on Katniss last night. It was dark and she was on the stairs and didn't attempt to move as I came down. Went to check she was ok and she ran off.

Got really worried this morning when she didn't show up at the food bowl (most food motivated cat I know) and found her under the bed. Luckily she came down shortly after, went out in the pouring rain and then came and sat on me. Obviously I didn't move as I felt bad. But she was really wet.

The social life of Japanese cats.

That was absolutely superb! Loved watching all the interactions :)
Best bit though was when camera cat spotted the bird and was doing his "I've spotted a bird" chattering noises and obviously was doing some bum-wiggling prowly type moves judging by the slight back and forth shaking of the camera.

And it strongly suggests that the idea that “cats don’t vocalise around other cats” isn’t entirely true.

That's never been claimed, it was that the specific classic "miaow" noise that sounds a bit like a human baby or kitten crying is a post-domestication development for communication with/to get attention of humans. Not that cats don't vocalise with one another.

That's never been claimed, it was that the specific classic "miaow" noise that sounds a bit like a human baby crying is a post-domestication development for communication with/to get attention of humans. Not that cats don't vocalise with one another.

Thanks for the clarification :)

my two neighbours' cats occasionally vocalise at each other. i'm not quite sure what's being said, but think it involves cat swear words...

If cat swearing is a thing then Sonic had a really foul mouth (Siams/OSH are often known for this, being mouthy cats in the first place - they are not shy about vocalising any feeling they have and sometimes have a reputation for being grumpy or ill-tempered as a result which is a bit of a misunderstanding).

He'd swear at Jakey and Radar, me if I was trying to clip his claws or do something medical to him, definitely at OH, and the vet always got a long diatribe of cat-invective.

Fortunately he was - as I once said to a locum vet - "all mouth and no trousers" and never bit anyone, but it fucking sounded like he was going to sometimes! Maybe this is why we were best friends, I'm a bit prone to outbursts of bad language myself :D 🤣

If cat swearing is a thing then Sonic had a really foul mouth (Siams/OSH are often known for this, being mouthy cats in the first place - they are not shy about vocalising any feeling they have and sometimes have a reputation for being grumpy or ill-tempered as a result which is a bit of a misunderstanding).

He'd swear at Jakey and Radar, me if I was trying to clip his claws or do something medical to him, definitely at OH, and the vet always got a long diatribe of cat-invective.

Fortunately he was - as I once said to a locum vet - "all mouth and no trousers" and never bit anyone, but it fucking sounded like he was going to sometimes! Maybe this is why we were best friends, I'm a bit prone to outbursts of bad language myself :D 🤣
Lilith's usually a very gentle, mild-mannered cat, but she swears like a trooper when being put in her carrier to go to the vet or when Cookie next door tries to pick on her! He bullied her the first couple of times she went outside but now she chases him off the premises.

Back
Top Bottom