Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I mean, I’ve got many scabbed over scratches where he tries to climb me, and he broke a couple of small plant pots… I suppose my soft furnishings are suffering but I don’t really care about that.

Hopefully when he gets a bit bigger he will jump up gracefully rather than scale you using his claws!

My Jakey is horrendously clumsy though, I do sometimes still get accidental scratches from him, he slipped off my lap recently and basically abseiled down my leg using his claws as brakes... Most cats are a bit more co-ordinated than my darling idiot cat though :)

When Sonic was unwell and nearing the end I set him up with a rolled up fleece between my left arm and my leg, so he could use that as a pillow while he dozed on my lap, leaving me able to move my arm without disturbing him (otherwise he'd have rested his head on my arm instead of the fleece). He barely left my lap that last week and I wanted to make sure he was able to sleep OK there as he was starting to get very tired, my poor little love ❤️

I was so glad to have that last week with him, although it was a sad time knowing he was dying and would have to be put down soon, it was also very precious and I am now starting to look back on it happily as we were able to spend so much time together before the end.

When Sonic was unwell and nearing the end I set him up with a rolled up fleece between my left arm and my leg, so he could use that as a pillow while he dozed on my lap, leaving me able to move my arm without disturbing him (otherwise he'd have rested his head on my arm instead of the fleece). He barely left my lap that last week and I wanted to make sure he was able to sleep OK there as he was starting to get very tired, my poor little love ❤️
You took such amazing care of him right to the end. He was a lucky cat to have you.

Anyone else's cat uses a pillow like a human, i.e. to rest the head on?

gratuitous picture of the late shironeko

shironeko-happy-cat-11.jpg

now if you'd asked about cats using a human like a pillow...

Epona , got this of Billy. He won't shut up , it's not your normal miaow. Talks constantly ( 5am till 10am this morning).
His features are pointier than the pic and he has really long legs. Its reminding me of you saying about yours being vocal.
IMG20220804231747.jpg
I'm hoping it's some sort of breeding in him. Never known shouting like it!

Epona , got this of Billy. He won't shut up , it's not your normal miaow. Talks constantly ( 5am till 10am this morning).
His features are pointier than the pic and he has really long legs. Its reminding me of you saying about yours being vocal.
View attachment 336037
I'm hoping it's some sort of breeding in him. Never known shouting like it!

Generally if cats are going to be part something in terms of breed, Siamese is one of the most common due to how popular a breed it is and how long it has been here (one of the oldest to be imported and bred here) - and there are certainly enough colourpoint strays and moggies around to indicate that Siamese (where that form of albinism originated) genes turn up all over the place.

So I would say if he has anything in him rather than being pure "natural" cat (ie. what we'd call Domestic Shorthair in his case, directly descended from the African Wild Cat) then having some Siamese in his ancestry would certainly be a good bet, he has a moderate wedge shaped face and almond shaped eyes, and you say he's very vocal - so it could be a possibility that he has a Siamese grandparent or great grandparent somewhere down the line.

Also the fact he is cream tabby and white rather than red tabby so a double whammy of the recessive dilute gene - now of course this can happen in domestic cats, but it is moderately rare, while many breeders of pedigree cats deliberately select for dilute colour modification (both my OSH boys were/are dilutes) and it is considerably more common in pedigree cats. That a cat has a more unusual colour doesn't necessarily mean it has some pedigree in it somewhere down the generations, but taking it into account along with other factors could lend weight to that, even if it alone wouldn't mean a lot.

(Dilute = pigment distributed in tiny spots on the hair shaft rather than solidly along it resulting in a faded or washed-out appearance of pigmented areas of fur - a genetically black cat will appear blue (ie. dark grey), a genetically brown/chocolate cat will appear lilac (ie. pale pinkish-grey), a genetically cinnamon cat will appear fawn (very pale and extremely rare in domestic non-pedigree cat population, not that common in pedigree cats either) and a genetically red cat will appear cream - which isn't actually a cream colour, but a much paler red/ginger.)

Not that there is anything wrong with being a pure domesticated version of an African Wild Cat! Wonderful to have these little fierce predators so friendly in our homes, no matter how they came to be in their individual form :)

Generally if cats are going to be part something in terms of breed, Siamese is one of the most common due to how popular a breed it is and how long it has been here (one of the oldest to be imported and bred here) - and there are certainly enough colourpoint strays and moggies around to indicate that Siamese (where that form of albinism originated) genes turn up all over the place.

So I would say if he has anything in him rather than being pure "natural" cat (ie. what we'd call Domestic Shorthair in his case, directly descended from the African Wild Cat) then having some Siamese in his ancestry would certainly be a good bet, he has a moderate wedge shaped face and almond shaped eyes, and you say he's very vocal - so it could be a possibility that he has a Siamese grandparent or great grandparent somewhere down the line.

Also the fact he is cream tabby and white rather than red tabby so a double whammy of the recessive dilute gene - now of course this can happen in domestic cats, but it is moderately rare, while many breeders of pedigree cats deliberately select for dilute colour modification (both my OSH boys were/are dilutes) and it is considerably more common in pedigree cats. That a cat has a more unusual colour doesn't necessarily mean it has some pedigree in it somewhere down the generations, but taking it into account along with other factors could lend weight to that, even if it alone wouldn't mean a lot.

(Dilute = pigment distributed in tiny spots on the hair shaft rather than solidly along it resulting in a faded or washed-out appearance of pigmented areas of fur - a genetically black cat will appear blue (ie. dark grey), a genetically brown/chocolate cat will appear lilac (ie. pale pinkish-grey), a genetically cinnamon cat will appear fawn (very pale and extremely rare in domestic non-pedigree cat population, not that common in pedigree cats either) and a genetically red cat will appear cream - which isn't actually a cream colour, but a much paler red/ginger.)

Not that there is anything wrong with being a pure domesticated version of an African Wild Cat! Wonderful to have these little fierce predators so friendly in our homes, no matter how they came to be in their individual form :)
Thanks Epona . He just looks so different to any cat I've had, and that vocal thing is relentless. You certainly know when he wants to be out/fed!

Thanks Epona . He just looks so different to any cat I've had, and that vocal thing is relentless. You certainly know when he wants to be out/fed!

My Jakey has a particular tone of wailing that he hits when his food bowl is empty or he wants fresh water. If I have been out and come home and he hears me coming up the stairs to the front door of our flat, I can tell before I even open the door if he has run out of something or if a fly has drowned in his water making it unpalatable (yes he'll happily eat a fly or moth but god forbid if one ends up in his water bowl).

I think I told you guys about Ozzie (tabby in the bed pic) being really stressed and over cleaning to the stage where she had hardly any fur on her hindquarters.

We'd been spotting for fleas and it was so stressful for all of us and didn't seem to be doing anything .

We switched to flea tablets three months ago and she's a changed cat, back to how she used to be. Her fur is all back, she's more relaxed and sleeping curled up and sometimes with her belly open rather than just on her haunches constantly in watch mode.

It's an amazing difference and it's so less stressful for us to do the stuff as we stick the tablet in a bit of cream cheese and she wolf's it.

Bit harder for the ginge as he's not a food monster like she is, but still, less stressful for all.

We’ve had Dexter for 10 years clearly fond of myself and my daughter. He’s a rescue cat he had a very traumatic first couple of months before we got him. He’s happy jumps over the fence play hangs out in woods out the back but he can be a bit nervy.
Next door neighbour have a new cat he is very confident. He has started sitting on the gate. Dexter is nowhere to be seen. On a whim I’ve started shooing this cat away. Each time Dexter comes flying over the gate and comes back in.
Maybe I’m being over protective but it seems like this cat is “ intimidating” Dexter. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• C3884582-B1D6-4324-BE05-2EF0F096E221.jpeg
    C3884582-B1D6-4324-BE05-2EF0F096E221.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom