Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Unfortunately, cats gonna cat

They're going to have to sort it out themselves - there's no easy way around it - it will sound a LOT worse than it actually is though

Unfortunately, cats gonna cat

They're going to have to sort it out themselves - there's no easy way around it - it will sound a LOT worse than it actually is though
He really is a scaredy-cat though. He’s scared of boxes 🙄. When he has battled he comes off worse. Had his tail bitten , ear ripped and this one which made him worse imo. That’s two teeth puncture wounds before we zipped him to the vets.

Attachments

• FDF89ECB-BB86-4FBB-97C2-8A717F8632D7.jpeg
    FDF89ECB-BB86-4FBB-97C2-8A717F8632D7.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
To put this into perspective - we adopted 2 brothers and one (at the time) middle aged Laydee cat - we've had them now for . . . 7 years give or take and only in the last 2-3 years have started tolerating each other, so much that they can now all be on the bed / sofa at the same time, not cuddled up mind, but within a square yard of each other - the boys still have almost daily patty patties and quite loud vocal set too's but it took a long time to reach this state

He really is a scaredy-cat though. He’s scared of boxes 🙄. When he has battled he comes off worse. Had his tail bitten , ear ripped and this one which made him worse imo
Unless you keep him in all the time or spend every waking moment being his minder, then this is going to happen, I'm afraid

We had an over the road neighbour and they had a large tom which my two took an instant hatred to - if they'd have ganged up on him and sorted his our there wouldn't have been any on-going problem but as it was, they took turns in having "disagreements" - I remember going out to sort out one particularly vicious sounding fight to see the car park covered in what looked like white blossom but was, in fact, small chunks of fur that had been ripped out of both cats

A water squirter was employed but so intense was the fighting that even that was initially ignored

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Early days I guess. Keeping him in isn’t an option he likes indoors but likes the option to go out. Chasing bugs and the like. The one that’s always amazed me bearing in mind his feral kitty start to life is he won’t even poop in the garden he goes into the woods.

Attachments

• C0A577F6-14DF-4B8A-B6D7-921CED3A09DC.jpeg
    C0A577F6-14DF-4B8A-B6D7-921CED3A09DC.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 8
Ok thanks. Early days I guess. Keeping him in isn’t an option he likes indoors but likes the option to go out. Chasing bugs and the like. The one that’s always amazed me bearing in mind his feral kitty start to life is he won’t even poop in the garden he goes into the woods.
He'll soon get used to this other cat. I know you don't want him picked on but the alpha needs to get used to him too. I mentioned Lilith being bullied by Cookie, but now she's used to the great outdoors she can hold her own and he doesn't pick on her any more. I don't think her former human did her any favours by overprotecting her and keeping her shut in his room all the time.

So I’m finding this quite hard to Google.

When they say that cats usually have five fingers on each front paw, does that include the vestigial one halfway up their foreleg?

Because if it does, Tim is smuggling an extra bean (and claw) on each front paw!

A524B1E8-62C8-4936-A77C-59650D8B4F2A.jpeg
It’s only little, and very much in the “thumb” position. Have I got a polydactyl cat? (Polycatdyl?)

When they say that cats usually have five fingers on each front paw, does that include the vestigial one halfway up their foreleg?

Because if it does, Tim is smuggling an extra bean (and claw) on each front paw!

View attachment 336382
It’s only little, and very much in the “thumb” position. Have I got a polydactyl cat? (Polycatdyl?)

No, that's a normal allocation of toes :)

EDIT: Wasn't sure I could manage this but (1 is the "thumb"):

Cat toes.JPG

The unringed bit halfway up is more like the equivalent of your bit here:

Hand.JPG

And is used for grip/steadying when going down a sloped or vertical surface head-first.

Last edited:
No, that's a normal allocation of toes :)

EDIT: Wasn't sure I could manage this but:

View attachment 336384

The unringed bit halfway up is more like the equivalent of your bit here:

View attachment 336385

And is used for grip/steadying when going down a sloped or vertical surface head-first.
Ah. Ok. That makes sense. That’s the bit I couldn’t Google a straight answer to: whether the leg-bean was counted in the five.

Ah. Ok. That makes sense. That’s the bit I couldn’t Google a straight answer to: whether the leg-bean was counted in the five.

I had to look it up to remind myself of the exact name as it wasn't coming to mind when I wrote the above post, but it's called the carpal pad :)

View attachment 336382
There's only one finger he needs you to know about:

1659897563282.png

View attachment 336382

I didn’t know people sometimes remove claws or trim them :(

I didn’t know people sometimes remove claws or trim them :(

Declawing is illegal in the UK, thank fuck.

Trimming claws is absolutely harmless and I do it, I have an old boy who isn't very active and his claws grow too long, if left they can grow into the paw pad and cause lameness, bleeding, and potentially infection. So I trim them about once every 3 or 4 months to prevent that from happening.

Trimming claws is normal and harmless. Declawing is a horrific act of mutilation that actually involves removing not just the claw but the tip of the toe, and is thankfully illegal here (except for good clinical reasons, eg. if a cat had a tumour on the end of its toe it would be legal for a vet to surgically remove the end of the toe, but not for cosmetic or convenience reasons).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom