Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Accidentally scared poor Lilith again.

I'm currently relaxing in bed - feeling a lot better today from this week's bug, just putting my feet up to aid recovery - and she jumped up to join me. She lay across my chest and purred happily while I stroked her and I said "Do you love cuddling with Mummy? Yes you do!" Unfortunately it came out croaky as my throat's still a bit dry and she legged it under the bed! Sorry about my ill voice, Lilith.

Another tip for helping cats to deal with the heat which might work for some:

I have filled a hot water bottle, no cover on it, with cold tap water (not icy) and put it on the floor - Jakey LOVES it and has been using it to lay on a lot during the last few days. It probably helps that he is used to seeing hot water bottles when I have one on the sofa during particularly cold winter spells (with a cover on if it contains hot water of course) so it isn't an unfamiliar scary object.

Pretty much recovered from having all her back teeth on her lower jaw out last week. This was due to feline tooth resorption which apparently might be genetic and can happen at any age regardless of diet and general oral health.

Aye my Radar had that, he went most of his life with no dental problems whatsoever, then bam had to have the whole lot out in one go apart from his 4 canines - literally every single tooth apart from those had to come out and we were told his canines would probably fall out at some point, but they'd been left in to preserve his facial shape.

Glad your girl has recovered well from her surgery, she'll manage fine without teeth. My Jakey only has his 2 bottom canines left (that wasn't due to resorption, Siams/OSH are often very prone to tooth decay and gingivitis). He still catches mice but can't eat them as he can't rip into them, but he manages normal cat food just fine.

Aye my Radar had that, he went most of his life with no dental problems whatsoever, then bam had to have the whole lot out in one go apart from his 4 canines - literally every single tooth apart from those had to come out and we were told his canines would probably fall out at some point, but they'd been left in to preserve his facial shape.

Glad your girl has recovered well from her surgery, she'll manage fine without teeth. My Jakey only has his 2 bottom canines left (that wasn't due to resorption, Siams/OSH are often very prone to tooth decay and gingivitis). He still catches mice but can't eat them as he can't rip into them, but he manages normal cat food just fine.

Good to know that cats don’t really need teeth! I was wondering if she’d need to carry on biting her claws to keep them in check but the vet said that wasn’t really necessary. She did say though that annual dental x-rays are a good idea, as apparently this condition can be very painful and can’t always be detected easily.

There's not really a heart there. It's two separate patches. But always seems to form a heart when he lays a certain way. 😄

It's cos cats with the white spotting gene have their pattern form when they are in the uterus, meaning that he was curled up a certain way when he was developing and pigmented cells moved to that area as one spot - then when he was born and uncurled, there was a gap between.

(Sorry if anyone finds info like this tedious, I am a bit obsessed with cat genetics/how in-utero development affects phenotype and appearance).

It's cos cats with the white spotting gene have their pattern form when they are in the uterus, meaning that he was curled up a certain way when he was developing and pigmented cells moved to that area as one spot - then when he was born and uncurled, there was a gap between.

(Sorry if anyone finds info like this tedious, I am a bit obsessed with cat genetics/how in-utero development affects that).
No - we love your knowledge and sound advice...

(Sorry if anyone finds info like this tedious, I am a bit obsessed with cat genetics/how in-utero development affects phenotype and appearance).
Very interesting.

No, that's interesting! I hadn't given it much thought but it makes sense. So how the kitten is angled in utero affects his/her fur patterns? You learn something new every day.

:)

the mogs i used to live with (to the best of my knowledge, brothers from the same litter) had very similar colour pattern, although one was black + white, the other tabby + white

in both cases, they had coloured tail, back and what mum-tat described as 'a badly fitted toupee'

No, that's interesting! I hadn't given it much thought but it makes sense. So how the kitten is angled in utero affects his/her fur patterns? You learn something new every day.

It can do, if those eventual patterns are caused as a result of eg. cells that can produce melanin literally moving across the body during development. Mostly cats that have the white spotting gene (everything from fully pigmented cats that have white toes to white cats with pigmented ears and tail) or tortoiseshells/tortoiseshell tabbies are the ones that will come out with their appearance depending on various in-utero development factors, rather than purely genetics.

My Radar was white with black spots due to being homozygous (ie having 2 copies) for the white spotting gene, if I'd had him cloned multiple times the clones would all be white with black spots (which is a genetic thing), but their black spots would all have been a bit different in terms of size and placement, because it is early foetal development rather than genetics that determines that - similar for torties :)

You do tend to get trends though due to the way cells migrate during development, so you get things like the tuxedo cat with just the areas furthest from the spine being white, or a van pattern cat which is all white with just the ears and tail and maybe one body spot ie closest to the spine being pigmented.

Last edited:
It can do, if those eventual patterns are caused as a result of eg. cells that can produce melanin literally moving across the body during development. Mostly cats that have the white spotting gene (everything from fully pigmented cats that have white toes to white cats with pigmented ears and tail) or tortoiseshells/tortoiseshell tabbies are the ones that will come out with their appearance depending on various in-utero development factors, rather than purely genetics.

My Radar was white with black spots due to being homozygous (ie having 2 copies) for the white spotting gene, if I'd had him cloned multiple times the clones would all be white with black spots, but their black spots would all have been a bit different in terms of size and placement, because it is early foetal development rather than genetics that determines that - similar for torties :)

You do tend to get trends though due to the way cells migrate during development, so you get things like the tuxedo cat with just the areas furthest from the spine being white, or a van pattern cat which is all white with just the ears and tail and maybe one body spot ie closest to the spine being pigmented.
Major respect to your encyclopaedic knowledge. :thumbs:

Purchased a weave basket for the girls as I knew they would like it. Called it right. Been getting very good use by Chloe and Rogue.

PXL-20220720-100439459.jpg

PXL-20220720-202537189.jpg

:)

the mogs i used to live with (to the best of my knowledge, brothers from the same litter) had very similar colour pattern, although one was black + white, the other tabby + white

in both cases, they had coloured tail, back and what mum-tat described as 'a badly fitted toupee'
From the pictures you've posted, their little toupees were so cute!

Back
Top Bottom