Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Chloe has finally accepted that the fan is there to help. Has fallen asleep. Unfortunately Bella and Rogue yet to be convinced.

PXL-20220718-182622132.jpg

When I got home, the several damp cloths I laid on the floor didn’t appear to have been used. Cat eventually came in from his secret spot in the neighbour’s garden, and he seemed quite unfazed by the heat. But then I found him sprawled across some papers on the table, which - when I laid my hand on them - felt cool. This being not normal for him, I assumed he was feeling hot so I draped him with a couple of damp cloths and he sighed and purred in deep delight and immediately went to sleep. Didn’t even stir himself when I slid him to the far end to make some room for my dinner plate, and didn’t stir or raise a whisker while I ate my mackerel.

Lil’ Bob slept on the bedroom floor last night as we had the fan on. Mrs SFM managed to step on his head when she got out of bed but he’s OK. Vic appeared a minute ago with a dead bird so he’s coping well. Yesterday, no sign of either of them until they both came in for lunch and afterwards promptly left again to hide under the hedges and undergrowth.

Lil’ Bob slept on the bedroom floor last night as we had the fan on. Mrs SFM managed to step on his head when she got out of bed but he’s OK. Vic appeared a minute ago with a dead bird so he’s coping well. Yesterday, no sign of either of them until they both came in for lunch and afterwards promptly left again to hide under the hedges and undergrowth.
"Wow" reaction about Mrs SFM stepping on his head :eek:

One of Sonic's nicknames used to be "Captain Underfoot" because he was always right there, often completely silent (although god knows he was loud enough the rest of the time) and I was always accidentally stepping on him, kicking him, or sitting on him. :oops:

I think that would have prompted me to check for a pulse, is he OK? :eek:

He’s got very good manners.

I’ve always been absolutely zero tolerance about cats hovering and mithering at meal times and not being on the table when there’s food present. Sitting on the table when there’s no food is okay, but all the kitchen surfaces are verboten. None of my cats have ever prowled the kitchen counters or snaffled around at meal times.

I guess he understood the deal: I won’t tip you off the table while I’m eating, so long as you act as like there is no food present at all.

Last edited:
He’s got very good manners.

I’ve always been absolutely zero tolerance about cats hovering and mithering at meal times and not being in the table when there’s food present. Sitting on the table when there’s no food is okay, but all the kitchen surfaces are verboten. None of my cats have ever prowled the kitchen counters or snaffled around at meal times.

I guess he understood the deal: I won’t tip you off the table while I’m eating, so long as you act as like there is no food present at all!

Aye, Radar and Sonic who I got when they were kittens learned the rules fairly early on, Sonic did try it on a couple of times when he was very little (I have told the tale before about him landing on my plate of eggs on toast, he loved eggs!) but a consistent firm No and return them to the floor if they hovered and they did get the message, Sonic would still sit and watch if I had something he liked (eggs, mostly) but it was polite from a distance watching and I would usually give him some in his food bowl after I had finished eating if he had been good.

Jakey though - we got him when he was an adult and I just know his previous human fed him from her plate, I have never been able to train him out of hovering and trying to snatch food.

Aye, Radar and Sonic who I got when they were kittens learned the rules fairly early on, Sonic did try it on a couple of times when he was very little (I have told the tale before about him landing on my plate of eggs on toast, he loved eggs!) but a consistent firm No and return them to the floor if they hovered and they did get the message, Sonic would still sit and watch if I had something he liked (eggs, mostly) but it was polite from a distance watching and I would usually give him some in his food bowl after I had finished eating if he had been good.

Jakey though - we got him when he was an adult and I just know his previous human fed him from her plate, I have never been able to train him out of hovering and trying to snatch food.

People who say cats can’t be trained...
Or at least taught.

The Auld Warrior liked to sit at the table with us. He never begged but he liked the company and the chat so he’d sit on a chair at the far end (we’d pull it out for him) and he’d sit there so the top half of his head could be seen and he’d turn back and forth, as if following the conversation. He’d stay for the whole time we were there and learned that if at least two people still sitting at the table, the meal and chats weren’t over. Never begged, never mithered.

Cats always got leftovers in that house, and the Auld Warrior was especially keen on curry.

Well, tried the old wet T-towel over a cat trick - 3 resounding failures - stupid cats

Could be that they aren't hot enough right now for it - Jakey took to it yesterday early evening and really enjoyed it, but wasn't having it later in the evening when maybe he wasn't so hot - so they might appreciate it later in the day after a full afternoon of heat.

Definitely (and this is to the thread in general, not just the quoted poster!) if you see a cat panting it is overheating, cats do not pant under normal circumstances - so if you see that then wet their fur (damp towel or cloth with room temp water, not icy) even if they don't like it.

Mostly they will be OK though if they are free to move around outdoors to find shade -if they are indoors or limited in where they can seek shade then being a bit more proactive about keeping them cool is good.

Did you try rubbing their ears and behind their ears and under their chin with it?
With Casper I tried stroking him with the wet towel - not keen
With Clive, I tried the same then laid it ever so gently over his tail - got up and walked out
With FiFi, I gently trailed it over her as she lay in the middle of the landing, she then fucked off to see Mrs Voltz who's not 100% in bed

Poxing cats

Back
Top Bottom