Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

BTW I should have included this in earlier posts, but (fit and healthy adult) cats are absolutely fine up to about 35C if they have access to water, but despite being desert animals, OVER that temperature they start to lose the ability to regulate their core temperature and can and will overheat if they cannot get to a shady spot - so it is going to be too hot for them to spend too long in the sun this afternoon.

Or a hot room, so keeping them in if they are used to outdoors is not necessarily the best answer (probably worse if they have good access to shade in the garden), just make some shade for them if need be, damp towels/wet their fur, make sure they have access to plenty of cool drinking water.

Last edited:
View attachment 333328

They won’t stay in the room with air conditioners…

Jakey won't sit in front of the fan, he's decided off to one side is the best position. The air from the fan makes him flick his massive ears in irritation.

He's probably not as badly off in the heat as some others, he's more adapted to heat (long and slender so higher surface area to volume ratio, ultra-short coat, mahoosive ears which help with heat dissipation), how are the urban floofies doing today?

Just moved the thermometer around a bit to get various temperatures

Living area still "around" 24-25ºC

Mrs Voltz up in the bedroom 27ºC

Outside in "downstairs" garden FOURTY FUCKING ONE FUCKING DEGREES CELSIUS (it's a bit of a sun trap) - guess where idiot boy cats have gone

Granted the temperature measurement I took wasn't in the shade, like they're in, but even so - And yes, they can both come back in and have access to water

Jakey is a pest in the bedroom and a menace to sleep, but I've let him in there with OH (works nights, currently sleeping, night off tonight so he can catch up on sleep later) as it is a good 5 degrees cooler than the sitting room right now. OH not particularly happy about the arrangement, but it's getting a bit too hot in this side of the flat even with the fan going.

Donut looking markedly less impressed with life today. Sloping around the house and garden seeking somewhere cool :( He's not panting though - will keep an eye on him.

I tried the damp towel trick, with predictable results :rolleyes: He's very skittish and hates being interfered with. So I laid it on the garden path, and he laid down next to it :facepalm:

Tiny poo was let out this morning. She refused to come back in. Finally managed to persuade her to come in at around 10:30ish but she was panting a bit :eek: get her into the room with a fan and wiped her down with a damp piece of kitchen roll then left it draped on her This worked better than attempts with a bathroom towel.

About an hour later she was back to her normal tricks and trying to lay on the keyboard while I worked.

Then she dislodged a carrier bag from it's hanging place, rubbed her face in/on it for 10mins (rustlerustle) then went to sleep with it as a blanket 🤦🏼‍♀️ cats

Screenshot_20220719-164448.png

Tiny poo was let out this morning. She refused to come back in. Finally managed to persuade her to come in at around 10:30ish but she was panting a bit :eek: get her into the room with a fan and wiped her down with a damp piece of kitchen roll then left it draped on her This worked better than attempts with a bathroom towel.

About an hour later she was back to her normal tricks and trying to lay on the keyboard while I worked.

Then she dislodged a carrier bag from it's hanging place, rubbed her face in/on it for 10mins (rustlerustle) then went to sleep with it as a blanket 🤦🏼‍♀️ cats

View attachment 333395
I tried the damp towel thing with Lilith but she wasn't impressed!

Weighed Jakey (average of 3 weighs of me holding him and another 3 of me without him) and it doesn't seem like he has lost any weight since a month ago which is really good - a bit too skinny, but not more skinny than he was (possibly moulted out his winter coat though, which even on an ultra-shorthair does make a bit of difference to appearance).

Spoke to someone at the vets to order his flea treatment which I do 1 month at a time due to him hovering around the 4kg mark which is the difference between large cat and small cat doses. Am reassured that we don't need to be too worried but it is along the lines of "he's had a good innings" - I am at peace with that and certainly wouldn't want any stressful medical intervention at this point in his life.

I will ask for anti-emetics if the vomming gets worse/more frequent, he's very easy to pill so any treatment given that way is fine. If he is still with us in a couple of months I will have bloods re-done to see if he needs a change of diet or some medication to help manage his CKD if it has worsened - but the overall aim is to keep him happy and comfortable - and he is for now.

(And no I do not like the fact that he is on his last legs, but I am trying to be pragmatic about it).

Last edited:
No need for sad reactions btw (although it is very appreciated that people care! ❤️ ) - he is OK for now but isn't immortal, and this is a world away from when I was told Radar had a brain tumour and had to have him put down pretty much immediately, or when I was told Sonic was in end stage kidney failure and had days at best - those were among the worst days of my life - this is not that, this is a lovely old cat kind of naturally getting old and things gradually going wrong, and we have a lot of notice that his health is declining.

I am OK with this, whether he has a week or a month or a year, it isn't something that is an emergency and we will of course treat symptoms if we can and if it is in the interests of his comfort and welfare - he's just a lovely old boy and we are making his old age and what is left of his life as good as possible for him (and will pay attention if/when it gets to the point where he has had enough) - this is sort of how it should be, and I am having the best of times with my lovely Jakey - he is on my lap right now purring his head off. :)

I had to rescue a young Jackdaw from the claws of the visitor the other night. It must have been only recently fledged because it couldn't get in the air until I chased them both up to the top of the garden and it had enough space to take a run at it and get airborne. Cat was not impressed!

A little off-topic and it may have been mentioned before, but there is a new PC / PS4 PS5 game out called Stray.

https://stray.game/ said:

UNTANGLE AN ANCIENT MYSTERY TO ESCAPE A LONG-FORGOTTEN CITY.​

Lost, alone and separated from family, a stray cat must untangle an ancient mystery to escape a long-forgotten city.

Stray is a third-person cat adventure game set amidst the detailed, neon-lit alleys of a decaying cybercity and the murky environments of its seedy underbelly. Roam surroundings high and low, defend against unforeseen threats and solve the mysteries of this unwelcoming place inhabited by curious droids and dangerous creatures.

See the world through the eyes of a cat and interact with the environment in playful ways. Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this mysterious world.

Along the way, the cat befriends a small flying drone, known only as B-12. With the help of this newfound companion, the duo must find a way out.

Stray is developed by BlueTwelve Studio, a small team from the south of France mostly made up of cats and a handful of humans.

I just played about 10 minutes of it, and it is all rather enchanting at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom