Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

fucthest8 - you aren't going to get a fully rounded unbiased viewpoint from me about this, and I consciously make an effort usually NOT to tell people whether their cats should be indoors or allowed out, it's not something where I think there is a wrong or a right of it, I do it one way myself but I am aware that is controversial and it certainly isn't a hill I want to die on.

For me, personally, my cats have always been 100% indoor cats. Only have 1 left now, but they all had really happy lives, I don't think anyone who met them would have said they were missing out on anything fundamental to their wellbeing. I have a lot of vertical space for them indoors (ceiling high bookcases lining every room) which is something they enjoy.

I've never kept in a cat that was used to going out however, that is a bit different territory for me and I can't comment directly on that. Except if he had contracted FIV or FELV or had lost his sight you'd keep him in for the sake of his health and wellbeing, and however difficult, he would adjust to that.

So it's up to you really, if you feel that being out is having a bad impact on him, you may well decide that he needs to stay in. I can't tell you whether that is right for him or you, but I can say with some confidence that indoor cats that have never been out can have the most wonderful lives. With cats that have been allowed out, it is going to be an adjustment for them and one that I cannot give advice about, other than to see how it goes and wish you luck :)
Dexter likes going outside but there a couple of nasty rogue cats and a fox den very close by. Couple of years ago he had his tail bitten by a fox and recently this. There’s actually two fang marks there and that’s after the wound was attended to. I worry about when he gets older and slows down.

Attachments

• 7211DEAD-D19C-46C8-8DEA-CD70C04786DC.jpeg
    7211DEAD-D19C-46C8-8DEA-CD70C04786DC.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 21
Dexter likes going outside but there a couple of nasty rogue cats and a fox den very close by. Couple of years ago he had his tail bitten by a fox and recently this. There’s actually two fang marks there and that’s after the wound was attended to. I worry about when he gets older and slows down.

OMG the poor darling - lots of love to him, that looks really sore :(

OMG the poor darling - lots of love to him, that looks really sore :(
He was brave. He didn’t lick or scratch it . It healed really quickly. We heard a curfullel outside and he came through the cat flap pissing blood. My daughter saw him come in he did one miaow , which she claims sounded like “ mummy “ stood there shaking. Hannah picked him up and brought him into the front room . Hannah couldn’t speak.

He was brave. He didn’t lick or scratch it . It healed really quickly. We heard a curfullel outside and he came through the cat flap pissing blood. My daughter saw him come in he did one miaow , which she claims sounded like “ mummy “ stood there shaking. Hannah picked him up and brought him into the front room . Hannah couldn’t speak.

Attachments

• 64D898BA-7410-4884-BA17-63A984D5D752.jpeg
    64D898BA-7410-4884-BA17-63A984D5D752.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 26
Big Chloe sniffing window she hasn't smelled before

PXL-20220610-162310742-COLLAGE.jpg

What we've done to cut down on fighting (it never goes away until they're 100% indoors) is that the cat flap is locked outwards between ~5pm and ~7am. Bernard comes down for breakfast (half a can of goosh next to the kibble) and heads out for ablutions. Wanders in and out for the day until 5 or so, and then he'll come in when he wants the other half of that goosh. He does not go out at night-time at all. It's not as safe as a full indoor life, but I think it's a decent compromise in letting him be "cat" without too much danger. Yes, he still has the odd fight - particularly when a new cat moves in. Yes, he could still get smooshed by a car.

Most days it thrills me having morning visits from scrounger Bloom. When he sees me through the glass door he bounds and scoots right across the grass so quickly I fear he will bash his head on the door. But Bloom has good brakes, and he assumes the demand position immediately.
Anyway, here is this morning’s contented scrounger cat position.

12BB74B7-53FC-470A-A414-6C9EB6C332D8.jpeg

If you do decide to build a "catio", I can give advice about the gauge of mesh you need for cat-safe stuff - I've built catproof/catsafe mesh doors etc.

I'd have to dig through old email order confirmations to remind myself, so just ask if you find you need that info - I will see if I can find it in the meantime anyway.

EDIT: Found the info easier than I thought thank you google for saving every bit of info I have ever searched for or sent a mail about :hmm: , for cat stuff you should get 25x25mm 16 gauge or 18 gauge mesh - that is the right hole size that they can't do themselves an injury on it, and the right strength for if they try to climb up it or try to wreck your handiwork.

Outstanding, thanks! Yes, will definitely be going DIY, "just" need to build a screen with a human door in it to go across the front of the verandah.

It's the start of day 3 of him being indoors. No major drama yet.

I saw one of my neighbour's cats, the one who likes to shake her arse in the air for a back stroke, twice last night. Both times she was resting in the tea cosy mode (legs tucked under body) and just looked at me, the subtext being she couldn't be arsed.
Tea cosy mode! :D

He visited again tonight, and spent a good while following me around whilst I watered the plants.

Then he sat proudly out on the grass, looking for more attention, so I went-up and talked to him and he quietly hissed and chattered back, then started to move closer.

Then, when he was just about right-up to me, he took a sudden fast lunge at my feet and attacked my boots - he just can't seem to lose that aggressive streak.

How do those guitars not get scratched/knocked over ? Awesome ! Do quite enjoy a maple neck by the way.
I don’t know! Just careful I suppose 🙂. I’m not that precious about my instruments and I leave round the house in case I fancy a strum. They’re made to be played and I play them 7 days a week. The two in the picture are a thin bodied, narrow necked Ibanez acoustic with an inlaid pickup at the top of the fretboard. Not the most expensive guitar (about £130 iirc) but plays beautifully and plugged in sounds like a hollow body E355. Knocks spots off guitars ten times the price. Hiding behind it is a 1980s Japanese Strat that I bought from a dodgy chap after a gig in the early 90s for £70! It is great for twiddling with while watching TV 😎

Stan is still dressed as a sunflower till his earhole heals a bit more. Most of the scar has knitted together nicely, and his fur's growing again. He's let out for his daily constitutional, but not allowed the cat flap to come and go as he pleases, yet.

IMG_0911.jpg

We had a huge spider in the kitchen. I shoved in Smokie, a large cat. the spider ran at Smokie, Smokie fled. :D :facepalm:
Lil’ Bob is a fearless hunter (& eater) of spiders and bluebottles while Vic won’t get out of bed for anything smaller than a mouse. Bob doesn’t really know what to do with mice and birds - if anything, he tries to make friends with them while his brother barely hides his disgust.

Back
Top Bottom