Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Dexter ex- feral waiting for his food. He’s amazing and the photo makes him look cute. Just before this was taken he had jumped on my chest while I was asleep miaowing loudly and had his face right up against mine. I realised I forgot to feed him before we went to bed.
He wasn’t aggressive but certainly assertive.
He drinks from a cup nothing else. Do many other kits do that ?

Attachments

• 727C29C6-A531-4C88-8316-4C8F7133D4EE.jpeg
    727C29C6-A531-4C88-8316-4C8F7133D4EE.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 17
Afternoon cat thread.

I would like your opinions please. I'd start another thread but I don't want them <gestures> ruining it.

This is Lyndon. Before being rescued he was a proper street cat. He's about 10 or so, we don't really know. He now has almost no teeth.

IMG_20220612_120344.jpg

We're keeping him in today because lately he's started bothering one of our neighbours and refusing to come in for dinner. He has medication with his dinner, so it's an important meal. It seems that part of his reason for suddenly being obsessed with these neighbours is that the black and white cat that he used to fight with all the time is frequently in their garden. You may remember the horrible tear in his ear.

Last night my neighbour returned Lyndon to us at almost midnight, after we'd resigned ourselves to him not coming in. He'd managed to nab him just as him and the black and white cat were squaring off.

So here's the question. I'm wondering if it would be better all round if he became a house cat. I'm fully aware that a large part of my thinking is selfish, but I really worry - especially with no real teeth - that he is always going to come off worse in fights, but he doesn't seem inclined to stop.

I'll stop now before this turns into an essay, but what do you reckon people? As I'm sure you will understand, I really want to do what's best for him. Thanks.

fucthest8 - you aren't going to get a fully rounded unbiased viewpoint from me about this, and I consciously make an effort usually NOT to tell people whether their cats should be indoors or allowed out, it's not something where I think there is a wrong or a right of it, I do it one way myself but I am aware that is controversial and it certainly isn't a hill I want to die on.

For me, personally, my cats have always been 100% indoor cats. Only have 1 left now, but they all had really happy lives, I don't think anyone who met them would have said they were missing out on anything fundamental to their wellbeing. I have a lot of vertical space for them indoors (ceiling high bookcases lining every room) which is something they enjoy.

I've never kept in a cat that was used to going out however, that is a bit different territory for me and I can't comment directly on that. Except if he had contracted FIV or FELV or had lost his sight you'd keep him in for the sake of his health and wellbeing, and however difficult, he would adjust to that.

So it's up to you really, if you feel that being out is having a bad impact on him, you may well decide that he needs to stay in. I can't tell you whether that is right for him or you, but I can say with some confidence that indoor cats that have never been out can have the most wonderful lives. With cats that have been allowed out, it is going to be an adjustment for them and one that I cannot give advice about, other than to see how it goes and wish you luck :)

I've had indoor cats who were pretty happy too. Currently keeping ours inside because the idiot blackbirds have nested in our garden again and she's killed one of them already :( She's very pissed off about it but she was stray until recently so is used to autonomy and the outdoors. I think if your cat is in danger outside then it's a good decision fucthest8 and he'll get over it.

He drinks from a cup nothing else. Do many other kits do that ?

conventional wisdom is that cats are sensitive to anything touching their whiskers, so water should be served in a dish that's wide enough not to touch their whiskers and put them off the idea.

many kittehs have not read the advice

b9a3817a361ce4ad87b89969dd0cd16d.gif

(random interweb image - not a kitteh i know)

conventional wisdom is that cats are sensitive to anything touching their whiskers, so water should be served in a dish that's wide enough not to touch their whiskers and put them off the idea.

many kittehs have not read the advice

b9a3817a361ce4ad87b89969dd0cd16d.gif

(random interweb image - not a kitteh i know)

I've seen my Jakey get his head stuck in a pint glass, they really aren't as bright as the ancient Egyptians would have you believe :D

I used to have a pint glass of water on my bedside cabinet at night. One day one of the cats discovered the pleasure of putting her paw into the water and looking at it though the side. Then she realised that if she put her paw behind the pint glass her paw changed shape and position. So she played with that for a few days. (Very smart, this cat: always puzzling things out for herself.) Then she started tipping the pint over right into my face to wake me up. Once, I assumed it was an accident resulting from her paw experiments. Twice, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. The third time, I looked directly at her in fury and she was all, like, “Yeah, get up you lazy fuck!” So after that I started keeping water in a clip top bottle instead.

fucthest8 Depends how much he loves the outdoors, I guess. We've had a hard time keeping Stan in whilst he gets over his operation - much sulking, howling, trying to rip the catflap off the wall, etc. I think we only really got away with it because he was in pain for a while, and how he's raring to be out again.

Keeping him in will test your nerves as much as his, I suspect - but he will get over it eventually.

On last night’s walk, he was slightly ahead of me and I noticed another cat sneaking up behind him. I made what I hoped was an alarm noise, called his name and fortunately he realised I was warning him about something. Just as the other cat launched into a sprint attack, my fella made a swift clever circle to get out of his reach. Came towards me and turned to face the enemy, with me behind him. The other cat kept coming ( maybe didn’t realise the human was associated with the cat) so my fella darted behind me. I had managed to get my phone out and the torch on, waved it in the other cat’s direction while hissing and windmilling my arms about. Other cat was all, like “Blimey! Did NOT expect that!” and sat down to watch us leave his territory.

Around another corner, on the estate, I noticed he was looking up at a particular spot. I looked too and saw a lovely dainty tabby female. My lad gazed up at her and she looked down at him with a mixture of contempt and curiosity. He made a couple of passes beneath her balcony, then lay down and stared at her for a while longer. I was waiting and watching them. Then he remembered me, looked about, jumped up, couldnt see me (I’d tucked myself against the wall) and called for me. He’s got almost no miaow, so it sounded rather plaintive. I gave him the whistle and we went on. But I bet he goes back there to pay compliments to her again. He’s neutered, but I don’t suppose that makes him entirely immune to the allure of beauty.

Last edited:
fucthest8
When I lived in a small flat with no outside space except for a light well, I had two cats. One was perfectly happy being indoors and even after I moved to a place with a garden she’d spend most of the time indoors. The other cat was born on a farm and was pretty miserable being indoors. He tolerated it but he wasn’t happy, not really. When he went to live somewhere with outdoor access he was almost never indoors, just came home to eat and sleep and to deliver mice. He lived with my sister and she told tales about how she’d come out in the morning to find five, six , seven mice laid out neatly on the step with their tails hanging down over the edge.

I reckon it depends on the cat. You won’t know if you don’t try.

I had a cat who was a real warrior, always guarding the boundaries and checking that everyone was alright. More like a loyal guard dog than yer average cat. He started coming in with torn ears and fight wounds that went septic. So often that the vet agreed to waive the consultation fee to allow us to get the necessary treatment each time. The other cat was a huge bushy snot-green tabby with great yellow eyes, and they seemed evenly matched, My warrior would get the better of him at least half the time. One afternoon I was doing some gardening out the front and a tall skinny man came to the gate. He said “Your cat beats up my cat”. I said “I know, and your cat beats up my cat. What can we do about it?” He said “Nothing, I guess” and he turned and shuffled off. After a while they seemed to arrive at some kind of truce and the beatings ceased. I realise this doesn’t help anyone anywhere.

Afternoon cat thread.

I would like your opinions please. I'd start another thread but I don't want them <gestures> ruining it.

This is Lyndon. Before being rescued he was a proper street cat. He's about 10 or so, we don't really know. He now has almost no teeth.

View attachment 326882

We're keeping him in today because lately he's started bothering one of our neighbours and refusing to come in for dinner. He has medication with his dinner, so it's an important meal. It seems that part of his reason for suddenly being obsessed with these neighbours is that the black and white cat that he used to fight with all the time is frequently in their garden. You may remember the horrible tear in his ear.

Last night my neighbour returned Lyndon to us at almost midnight, after we'd resigned ourselves to him not coming in. He'd managed to nab him just as him and the black and white cat were squaring off.

So here's the question. I'm wondering if it would be better all round if he became a house cat. I'm fully aware that a large part of my thinking is selfish, but I really worry - especially with no real teeth - that he is always going to come off worse in fights, but he doesn't seem inclined to stop.

I'll stop now before this turns into an essay, but what do you reckon people? As I'm sure you will understand, I really want to do what's best for him. Thanks.
You could try keeping him in from evening until morning mebbe, see how that goes ? We've managed to do that with ours as we don't like having to capture and release random rodents and bats when we could more enjoyably be asleep and it's done wonders to cut down the attrition.

Thanks you lot, that's all really helpful.

Epona I was thinking about making sure he had climbing opportunities and places to sit high, good call. He has access to every room in a two story house, so it's not exactly a small space and we can do lots to make it more interesting.

izz keeping him in all night is what we had been doing, but it relies on him coming back for his dinner which he's started not doing, the twit. (And literally running away if you go to get him :D :facepalm: )

moose he's actually ok about it - grumbles and fusses first thing, but then takes himself off to sit on our windowsill - and then bed per the picture. Where he stayed til tea. After which he moved his base of operations to Mrs St8s lap. So that all gives me hope. It's literally like not going out allows him to relax.

story but actually you make the very good point that it depends on the cat - if he was behaving like moose described Stan being, or your cat that ended up at your sister's, I'd definitely change my mind.

Aladdin that actually could work, I have a sort of verandah that I could do that with. One to think about once we see how we get on, mostly due to ££ being tight right now.

Thanks again everyone, appreciated.

On last night’s walk, he was slightly ahead of me and I noticed another cat sneaking up behind him. I made what I hoped was an alarm noise, called his name and fortunately he realised I was warning him about something. Just as the other cat launched into a sprint attack, my fella made a swift clever circle to get out of his reach. Came towards me and turned to face the enemy, with me behind him. The other cat kept coming ( maybe didn’t realise the human was associated with the cat) so my fella darted behind me. I had managed to get my phone out and the torch on, waved it in the other cat’s direction while hissing and windmilling my arms about. Other cat was all, like “Blimey! Did NOT expect that!” and sat down to watch us leave his territory.

Around another corner, on the estate, I noticed he was looking up at a particular spot. I looked too and saw a lovely dainty tabby female. My lad gazed up at her and she looked down at him with a mixture of contempt and curiosity. He made a couple of passes beneath her balcony, then lay down and stared at her for a while longer. I was waiting and watching them. Then he remembered me, looked about, jumped up, couldnt see me (I’d tucked myself against the wall) and called for me. He’s got almost no miaow, so it sounded rather plaintive. I gave him the whistle and we went on. But I bet he goes back there to pay compliments to her again. He’s neutered, but I don’t suppose that makes him entirely immune to the allure of beauty.

All these posts by the way are excellent by the way. Living up to your username. Lovely, keep them coming.

If you do decide to build a "catio", I can give advice about the gauge of mesh you need for cat-safe stuff - I've built catproof/catsafe mesh doors etc.

I'd have to dig through old email order confirmations to remind myself, so just ask if you find you need that info - I will see if I can find it in the meantime anyway.

EDIT: Found the info easier than I thought thank you google for saving every bit of info I have ever searched for or sent a mail about :hmm: , for cat stuff you should get 25x25mm 16 gauge or 18 gauge mesh - that is the right hole size that they can't do themselves an injury on it, and the right strength for if they try to climb up it or try to wreck your handiwork.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom