Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

Belushi said:
Now I live a minutes walk from Balham Tube :)

How do you cope?? :eek: That's on the "nightmare" Northern Line.

I also, after 8 months in Bromley, vowed to live on a tube line. So I ended up in Wood Green.

I walk to work but when hungover/late I get the bus to work and it takes only five minutes longer than the tube, so it's not just the tube in Brixton that's convenient.

editor said:
It certainly played a part

I used to live in Hackney and after that vowed never to live anywhere without a tube station nearby.

Part of it but I would favour Brixton anyday over Vauxhall - which has vastly superior transport links. Everywhere in the Vauxhall area is within 10 minutes walk of at least two tube stations and at least 3 night bus routes let alone loads of bus routes. But nowhere in north Lambeth is anywhere as interesting a place to live as Brixton - just to take one instance the market is at least fifteen times the size of the next biggest if you go north of it. :)

And Peckham may have a reasonably sized market but public transport after about 9pm from the centre of London becomes a pain - with up to half an hour between trains and quite a long bus journey.

Hollis said:
Oh really! I again find that hard to believe!! I can tell.. you I'd love you lot to move up to Wood Green.. followed by the inevitable wave of gentrifiers afew years later.. Send my house price through the roof it would.

You keep saying that, but you've provided no plausible, low-cost genuine alternative to Brixton with comparable transport and location. South London ain't stacked with places - Vauxhall certainly ain't cheap.

I've maintained throughout that people tend to move to areas they feel they 'belong' in, which is why I'm wary of people condemning any future waves of young folk wanting to move to Brixton as 'yups' That said, I don't believe that they constitute the dominant reason why Brixton's land values have gone up so much. And besides, you'd have to be a mug to move into a 'unpopular' part of town just to prove a point, just as much a fool as if you moved somewhere solely because it was 'trendy'

Yeah.. I forgot.. Finsbury Park.. fucking brilliant transport links, and in zone 2, and cheap.. But would you want to live there?

Hollis said:
Yeah.. I forgot.. Finsbury Park.. fucking brilliant transport links, and in zone 2, and cheap.. But would you want to live there?
What point are you trying to prove?

I didn't say I moved to Brixton exclusively for its transport links: I said that the proximity to a tube played a part in my decision.

The main reasons I came to Brixton were
(a) I was offered a flat there and
(b) I had more friends living there than anyone
(c) I liked the Albert and Cooltan

If all I'd been offered at the time was a place in Finsbury Park, I probably would have moved there instead because at the time I was rather partial to the George Robey (RIP).

Good job I didn't though. I fucking hate the area.

Hollis said:

Eh, the prices don't seem that dissmilar to Brixton to me - plenty of one bed victorian terrace flat conversions at C£180k, with arguably less low-end stuff to choose from.

tarannau said:
You keep saying that, but you've provided no plausible, low-cost genuine alternative to Brixton with comparable transport and location. South London ain't stacked with places - Vauxhall certainly ain't cheap.

I've maintained throughout that people tend to move to areas they feel they 'belong' in, which is why I'm wary of people condemning any future waves of young folk wanting to move to Brixton as 'yups' That said, I don't believe that they constitute the dominant reason why Brixton's land values have gone up so much. And besides, you'd have to be a mug to move into a 'unpopular' part of town just to prove a point, just as much a fool as if you moved somewhere solely because it was 'trendy'

Sorry, but I think you're talking rubbish. All those people in the Albert just moved to Brixton because there were no low-cost alternatives?

Hollis said:

Blackstock road is great. In fact that is one thing that Brixton is missing (afaik) decent Turkish supermarkets & restaurants. In fact Finsbury park is the only other bit of London I'd be reasonably happy to live in (though no market)...

Hollis said:
Sorry, but I think you're talking rubbish. All those people in the Albert just moved to Brixton because there were no low-cost alternatives?

No, keep up dear.

They moved there because the could find something within their price range and near to their friends and work.

I guess that they could have moved to Wembley and then paid extra for a taxi at the end of the night, but that may have defeated the object of living somewhere cheaper.

What point are you trying to make? That trendiness is a huge factor in housing prices. If that's it, you're doing particularly badly in backing that viewpoint up with real world examples rather than snide comments.

editor said:
What point are you trying to prove?

Point? :confused: .. ah yes. Merely I find it laughable, tbh, the idea vibrancy etc doesn't play a major part in why alot of young 'just graduated' types want to live in Brixton. As opposed to the apparent counterargument that the reason they're all there is that its the only viable low-cost-excellent transport option in London.

tarannau said:
No, keep up dear.

They moved there because the could find something within their price range and near to their friends and work.

I guess that they could have moved to Wembley and then paid extra for a taxi at the end of the night, but that may have defeated the object of living somewhere cheaper.

What point are you trying to make? That trendiness is a huge factor in housing prices. If that's it, you're doing particularly badly in backing that viewpoint up with real world examples rather than snide comments.

Now now, calm down...

newbie said:
That said I do think that 'vibrancy' is a large part of the attraction of Brixton. Not, perhaps, the colourful street characters and marginals that Hatboy used to champion (that mostly belongs to the past, sadly) but the entertainment (from Albert to A66 via Lounge & Living) is clearly popular, indeed the whole Brixton reputation has swung right round. It's only a few years ago that admitting to living in Brixton would bring about an immediate and universal negative chorus about mugging and crime... these days it's as hard to cope with the effusive 'wow it's a very cool place' type comments. Exactly how that trendiness translates into increased housing pressure isn't entirely obvious, but it's pretty clear that non-trendy places are far less troubled by gentrification.

Worth quoting again.

Hollis said:
Point? :confused: .. ah yes. Merely I find it laughable, tbh, the idea vibrancy etc doesn't play a major part in why alot of young 'just graduated' types want to live in Brixton. As opposed to the apparent counterargument that the reason they're all there is that its the only viable low-cost-excellent transport option in London.

Look at the posts above and stop laughably misrepresenting what's been said on this thread. All throughout it's been argued that's it's a combination of factors which explain Brixton's housing prices. All you've done is keep pointing to supposed 'trendiness,' as if that ludicrously explains the full attraction of Brixton.

Cor. You're so cool and anti-fashion by taking that viewpoint...

:rolleyes:

I know I'm fucking cool, thanks.

:cool:

What's laughable is your denial of Brixton's 'vibrancy' playing a major role in its 'current' difficulties/house prices.

Hollis said:

What's laughable is your denial of Brixton's 'vibrancy' playing a major role in its 'current' difficulties/house prices.

Gah. So you keep saying. So where's the evidence that this 'trendiness' is causing the difficulty and house rises.

Is Brixton cooler than Clapham Junction? Cooler than Clapham South? Cooler than Battersea? Is it more expensive than any of them? It's not looking good is it, no major role or pattern seems to be observable?

No one's denying that it's an aspect, but the idea that it's the major factor seems way off. For every person who loves Brixton, there'll be a couple who still let its past reputation colour their perception of the place.

Bob said:
Blackstock road is great. In fact that is one thing that Brixton is missing (afaik) decent Turkish supermarkets & restaurants.
ooh yeah, wouldn't mind one of those. we had a nice little supermarket for a while, the 'moorish(?) souk', compact and bijou but brilliant and really friendly. :( now it's an internet cafe. you can still see the lovely turkish(?) tiles on the walls.

i remember having a chat with the owner once when i was browsing the magazines. he had designed the cover of a palestinian magazine (box of ariel detergent 'now with added sharon' :D ). i didn't actually ask his origins. the place sort of 'seemed' turkish but i didn't really think about it at the time, so it might not have been turkish-run actually.

Hollis said:

I think that you are seriously overestimating the role Brixton's "vibrancy" plays. The bars and clubs and so on probably do play a part in the minds of young people moving there. But if you think they'd go without good transport links you're mistaken, and they *would* go there without clubs and bars (since you can always go somewhere else if you've got transport). This indicates to me that the one factor is more important than the other.

Yeah, its looking very good thanks. :) Certain areas attract certain type of people who want a certain time of 'vibrancy'. Brixton fits into one of those categories. Wood Green doesn't.

miss minnie said:
ooh yeah, wouldn't mind one of those. we had a nice little supermarket for a while, the 'moorish(?) souk', compact and bijou but brilliant and really friendly. :( now it's an internet cafe. you can still see the lovely turkish(?) tiles on the walls.

i remember having a chat with the owner once when i was browsing the magazines. he had designed the cover of a palestinian magazine (box of ariel detergent 'now with added sharon' :D ). i didn't actually ask his origins. the place sort of 'seemed' turkish but i didn't really think about it at the time, so it might not have been turkish-run actually.
If you take the bus down to Streatham there are a few there on the high street. The ones down south seem to me to be a bit more mediterranean/eastern european, but there's a similar range of produce, it's not quite Greek.

I miss the Turkish groceries from when I was in Seven Sisters. Best thing about the place. Not that that's difficult.

tarannau said:
Is Brixton cooler than Clapham Junction? Cooler than Clapham South? Cooler than Battersea? Is it more expensive than any of them? It's not looking good is it, no major role or pattern seems to be observable?

This is beginning to have shades of Chris Morris:

Is this cool?
Is he cool?

FridgeMagnet said:
I think that you are seriously overestimating the role Brixton's "vibrancy" plays. The bars and clubs and so on probably do play a part in the minds of young people moving there. But if you think they'd go without good transport links you're mistaken, and they *would* go there without clubs and bars (since you can always go somewhere else if you've got transport). This indicates to me that the one factor is more important than the other.

But there's a whole tube network they can live on! You don't explain why Brixton attracts so many of the new recently graduated types... Simple anwer... its cool.

FridgeMagnet said:
If you take the bus down to Streatham there are a few there on the high street. The ones down south seem to me to be a bit more mediterranean/eastern european, but there's a similar range of produce, it's not quite Greek.

I miss the Turkish groceries from when I was in Seven Sisters. Best thing about the place. Not that that's difficult.

Ta for that - may well amble down at some point and investigate. For the time being I sate my needs with mild peppers from the deli on Atlantic road. :)

Bob said:
This is beginning to have shades of Chris Morris:

Is this cool?
Is he cool?

:D Its true though.. why is it that people hate admitting that they've moved to an area because its cool, once they've moved there because its cool.

I mean you've got to start thinking your cool, to start going on about the weekend 'tourists'.

Bob said:
Ta for that - may well amble down at some point and investigate. For the time being I sate my needs with mild peppers from the deli on Atlantic road. :)
There's a place called the Mediterranean Deli that I like, near the top of the high street on the bus garage end. It's got a butchers and bakery connected to it just next door, too. But there are some good ones a bit further down as well.

editor said:
You're turning into a pathetic, sad travesty of your former self.

Yet another yuppie-fixated alter-ego of the truly obsessed Anna Key duly banned again.
You allowed anna key to post as oldslapper for a full five months, knowing full well, all along, that he was anna key.

Don't try to deny it. Absolutely loads of people, especially in the Brixton forum, have known since last October that you knew it was him all along so don't try to deny it. I have witnessed countless pub conversations where this has come up, some with mods present.

You allowed him to post just so long as he didn't say anything you disagreed with. Then you banned him on the sly when nobody was looking.

I think that is pretty fucking disgraceful behaviour, personally.

Don't start throwing your toys out of your pram about 'disgusting lies'. You'll only make yourself look even more shitty. Everybody always knew. They spotted it straight away and ther is no way your toadies wouldn't have been falling over themselves to point it out to you. Though they'll be falling over themselves to deny it now, of course.

Oh what's the point? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hollis said:
But there's a whole tube network they can live on! You don't explain why Brixton attracts so many of the new recently graduated types... Simple anwer... its cool.
I think you're mixing up "cool" with "desirable". There are plenty of desirable things about Brixton, apart from the transport, which is unusually good for South London - shops, cafes, bars, the market etc. "Cool" means it has a particular reputation. I don't think that many people move somewhere because of its reputation, regardless of what it's actually like. The reputation may help you hear of it in the first place but that's not the same thing.

The idea that young people who can afford flats are all flocking to Brixton and ignoring the rest of London isn't really accurate either. They go all over the place. Thinking of the people I know who've got houses and are approximately in that demographic, some are in Brixton, sure, some in Oval, some in Sutton, some go West or North, some aren't even in London any more... and my sample is biased as well, since I grew up near Brixton and many of my friends did too.

Hollis said:
Point? :confused: .. ah yes. Merely I find it laughable, tbh, the idea vibrancy etc doesn't play a major part in why alot of young 'just graduated' types want to live in Brixton.
So who here is the saying that the sole reason that people moved to Brixton was the transport links?!!!

I'd imagine it was the mix of location, transport and friends in the area that would have made people like me arrive over a decade ago.

I certainly didn't move here because it was "cool" unless you think that down-to-earth squats like Cooltan and the 121 Centre were the epitome of haute couture and the Albert some sort of catwalk for Face-reading hipsters.

:confused:

IntoStella said:
You allowed anna key to post as oldslapper for a full five months, knowing full well, all along, that he was anna key.
Actually, I wasn't entirely sure until two weeks ago, and said so in the mods forum. Feel free to check this fact with any of the mods and then apologise.
IntoStella said:
I think that is pretty fucking disgraceful behaviour, personally.
I'd say Anna Key knows more than a thing or two about 'fucking disgraceful behaviour'.

And why does he think the rules of the forum don't apply to him? Is he so fucking special that he can just abuse the rules around here? A banned poster is not allowed to come back and simply carry on where he left off.

The mods collectively decided to turn a blind eye to his last alter ego so long as he showed some respect for the boards and other posters. They gave him a break.

And what did he do? He quickly went back to his usual sneering, poster-goading, yuppie-obsessed, disruptive self.

So he was banned. Again. The decision was unanimous. Not one mod wants him back.

And you can tell him from me - and the mods - that he's taken the piss for the very last time. He was given a chance. He blew it.
IntoStella said:
hey spotted it straight away and ther is no way your toadies wouldn't have been falling over themselves to point it out to you.
Toadies?! My oh my! At times it's hard to tell you two apart! Who are "my toadies" please? Could you name them for me?

Back
Top Bottom