Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

tarannau said:
There's some truth in that, but throughout this thread I've argued that Brixton is reasonably fairly priced compared to its location, its neighbours, range of local services and transport. I see very little actual evidence that Brixton house prices are boosted significantly by notions of 'trendiness' or 'vibrancy,' despite some of the opinions shown here.

I agree with you about this. I was recently in Clapham South/Wandsworth, and I could see from a cursory glance in an estate agent's window that it's considerably more expensive than Brixton, despite being less well connected in terms of transport. You're looking at 250 grand for a one-bedroom flat there.
:eek:

tarannau said:
I'm not denying that if an area is perceived to be 'cool' then property prices may be affected. But that does not seem to be the case particularly here - if it is, then it's been offset by other potential factors - Brixton's perceived risk and edgy perception may be compensating by taking values down perhaps.
I'm inclined to agree with this.

Hollis said:
Your still missing my point.. Its about the fact that people can and do generalise with some degree of accuracy. - Enough to justfiy massive expenditure in some cases.

But in this case you're not generalising accurately. Why, if Brixton's seen as so cool and vibrant, doesn't it command a price premium over comparable areas? And where's the real world examples of the significant proportion of peole attracted by its trendiness.

I know you're trying to prove a smartarse point, but you're doing pretty badly at backing up your viewpoint.

tarannau said:
I know you're trying to prove a smartarse point, but you're doing pretty badly at backing up your viewpoint.

Oh I do love it when people rather than trying to add to their argument, just resort to personal abuse or shout "your not doing it very well".

:rolleyes:

Hollis said:
Oh I do love it when people rather than trying to add to their argument, just resort to personal abuse or shout "your not doing it very well".

:rolleyes:

I love it when folks, free from any real evidence, feel obliged to snidely imply that many folks who've moved to Brixton have done it mainly because its 'trendy'

Can't you see why folks may find that a little insulting...

tarannau said:
I love it when folks, free from any real evidence, feel obliged to make snidely imply that many folks who've moved to Brixton have done it mainly because its 'trendy'

Oooooohh knickers !!!

tarannau said:
I love it when folks, free from any real evidence, feel obliged to snidely imply that many folks who've moved to Brixton have done it mainly because its 'trendy'

But if you replace the word 'trendy' with 'popular' it's rather less insulting but means pretty much exactly the same thing.

tarannau said:
Here's a great example of Brixton's vibrancy actually seen as a disadvantage by estate agents and developers. Check out this website of this development in Stockwell SW9.

"Stockwell, one of London's most important opening areas." What the hell does that mean?

"By day the shopping experience is wide and eclectic, with everything from prestigious high street retail and leisure, to antiques and ultra modern vogue." Ultra Modern Vogue? I'm totally lost.

"By night an exciting mix of bars, eateries, and clubs offer something for all tastes and create a unique energy for the whole area." Yeah baby, buzzwords. These guys should promote the Iceland flats.

The area's big sell? "Incredibly good transport connections mean less time travelling to and from work, leaving more time to enjoy it during the week too."

Exciting mix of eateries AND incredibly good transport connections. Is Stockwell the new Brixton?

"Feel the energy" indeed.

Hollis said:
Oooooohh knickers !!!

Not really. I've simply asked you to back up your assertion with some form of real world evidence, but you've failed miserably. I did find, for example, the comparison of Brixton house prices with a load of Zone 3 and beyond, distant North London locations as indicative of a man who was stretching a point too far....and knew it.

If you want to poke fun at folk at Brixton for being 'trendy' then I'd prefer it just came out with it. It's not worth trying to hijack your smartarse point onto any old thread, regardless of what the financial facts and real world figures are telling you.

Feel free to put your fingers in your ears again now. We're all very trendy and cosmopolitan don't you know....

;)

hayduke said:
"Stockwell, one of London's most important opening areas." What the hell does that mean?

Funny isn't it...

Surprised they even mention Stockwell, for everything I can see they're pushing the 'it's in Clapham' angle.

I'm still slightly amazed they went to the trouble of removing Brixton entirely from the map...

:D

Yeah you keep going on about lack of real world evidence.. but you actually denigh anything I post up.. But then you have a very narrow preformed frame of reference don't ya.. the northern line is a "nightmare", zone 3 is beyond consideration, Brixton has fantastic transport links, nobody moves to Brixton because its trendy, vibrant, cool whatever... and please don't even suggest it, because people may not like it.

Yes, indeed.

:cool:

newbie said:
But if you replace the word 'trendy' with 'popular' it's rather less insulting but means pretty much exactly the same thing.
is it? an area like (e.g.) Croydon may be 'popular' with certain types/groups of people, but that don't make it 'trendy. It never will be!

Its amazing the cheek of estate agents and that people fall for their lies.

I know a (not very bright) rich girl who bought a flat in Shooters Hill (the Woolwich end) under the impression that she was moving to 'Greenwich Heights' and that she'd be within walking distance of the Market etc :rolleyes:

Right, she didn't test the proposition by walking from the flat she proposed to purchase to the aforesaid market?

Or look at a map?

Not very bright indeed.

Justin said:
Right, she didn't test the proposition by walking from the flat she proposed to purchase to the aforesaid market?

Or look at a map?

Not very bright indeed.

Believe me theres no end to her fuckwittedness.

What does she care though? If she doesnt like it Mummy and Daddy will just buy her another. They actually paid off one of her boyfriends who they considered unsuitable :rolleyes:

isvicthere? said:
Well, I live about 200 yards from Chris Morris, and even closer to Jerry Dammers, so I MUST be cool! :cool: :cool: :cool:

You are Chris Morris, and I claim my five pounds. ;)

Hollis said:
Oh really! I again find that hard to believe!! I can tell.. you I'd love you lot to move up to Wood Green..
The Primary School from Hell is in Wood Green....I worked there for a short time...it nearly killed me....I never want to go within a five-mile radius of Wood Green again...the mere mention of Wood Green brings me out in a sweat :eek:

Hollis said:
Yeah you keep going on about lack of real world evidence.. but you actually denigh anything I post up.. But then you have a very narrow preformed frame of reference don't ya.. the northern line is a "nightmare", zone 3 is beyond consideration, Brixton has fantastic transport links, nobody moves to Brixton because its trendy, vibrant, cool whatever... and please don't even suggest it, because people may not like it.
What could possibly be more 'arty', 'trendy' and 'vibrant' (and a sure fire sign of yuppies at work) than a town boasting its very own (guffaw!) 'cultural quarter', eh Hollis?!

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 249
Its true you know! :D I believe they're referring to 'The Chocolate Factory'.. converted into aload of artists studios. We even get art students in the local pub.

The 'cultural quarter' once got a mention in Richard Littlejohn's column in the Sun. Naturally he was taking the piss aswell. :mad:

I just received an accomodation brochure for Southend-on-Sea (I'm probably playing chess there late in March). One of the sections is entitled Cultural Capital.

editor said:
What could possibly be more 'arty', 'trendy' and 'vibrant' (and a sure fire sign of yuppies at work) than a town boasting its very own (guffaw!) 'cultural quarter', eh Hollis?!
jesus feckin' christ, I've seen it all now.... :eek:

I have a natural instinct to dislike the peeps moving into these dwellings, but that is only because I am very jelous.

I don't think it's how much money you that you do or do not have that determines character. That would be classism, a rigid inverse snobbery, discriminatory, does not try to see the whole person, racism.

The flats above Iceland are not social housing. Wish that they were. I reckon squatting them would be very hard. So it is better that they are purchased and used then left empty.

If a couple earn 44k between them and are able to buy these places, my big, clever, maturity can put 95% of my hating jelousy aside, and wish them the best of luck and welcome them to the neighbourhood.

Also would like to take issue with the word "infest". I would object to the word being used in relation to squatters, refugees, and do now in relation to professionals.

just my opinion justin. And I never thought you would have seeped so low to sarcasm. Irony is far more becoming.

Back
Top Bottom