Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

young jihadis

What? Do you think something different? If so please explain
Probably the rolleyes are uncalled for, but it is dismaying that the Home Secretary has such power, particularly considering who the Home Secretary is. And considering that a future Home Secretary could be someone far less acceptable. Possibly.

Probably the rolleyes are uncalled for, but it is dismaying that the Home Secretary has such power, particularly considering who the Home Secretary is. And considering that a future Home Secretary could be someone far less acceptable. Possibly.
What does this mean? What difference does it make who the home sec is?

They're using their discretion to exercise these powers. As with control orders and other kinds of terrorism related legislation.

So it matters who it is.

According to the info butchersapron linked to above, the legal authority to do this comes from the 2002 British Nationality Act, brought in when David Blunkett was Home Secretary. Charles Clarke, John Reid, Jacqui Smith and Alan Johnson all had this power before Theresa May became Home Secretary in May 2010, and from what I can work out 6 people were deprived of their British citizenship under various Labour Home Secretaries.

These decisions are clearly made on a political basis, however we define that exactly, and I'm not convinced that the question of who is the individual holding the position of Home Secretary is of primary importance.

Yes, these are discretionary powers and it matters very much who's exercising the discretion.

no, it matters what oversight is available, and whether the powers can be withdrawn if those who have oversight aren't happy with their use.

oversight is available through the courts - who have overturned the Home Secretarys' decisions - and parliament has the ability to remove the powers from the Home Secretary if its not happy with how they are exercised.

Good luck to you, kebabking, when you try to get legal aid for that. Weren't the challenges so far made by charities or other 3rd sector bodies?

Good luck to you, kebabking, when you try to get legal aid for that. Weren't the challenges so far made by charities or other 3rd sector bodies?

you confuse my interest with how the rest of society discusses these powers and their use with my interest in how the individuals concerned feel about them.

as non-resident, non-UK citizens i would hope their access to UK legal aid would be, err... limited. i don't care about them, from what i can see of the cases noted by the BIJ ever single one of them made their own decisions, and that the removal of citizenship is a reaction to that decision.

tough. unlucky. i can even live with errors.

Now I'm confused. We were talking about UK citizens. Or at least people who were until the Home Secretary decided they weren't. Remember, these laws are like algebra and apply for all values.

what are you confused about?

is it so shocking to you that other people hold different views to you, that if we just understood as much as you do we'd change our mind?
Just confused about whether or not we're talking about UK citizens. It's a bit Kafkaesque if the Home Secretary decrees they aren't, and so they are therefore denied the citizen's rights to appeal.

tbh kebabking, I don't think we are far apart in lack of sympathy for these jihadis, just differing in how they should be dealt with.

Just confused about whether or not we're talking about UK citizens. It's a bit Kafkaesque if the Home Secretary decrees they aren't, and so they are therefore denied the citizen's rights to appeal.

in all of the cases i saw in the BIJ article we're talking about people who were also citizens of other states, and who weren't in the UK at the time.

in all of the cases i saw in the BIJ article we're talking about people who were also citizens of other states, and who weren't in the UK at the time.
Apologies. Fair enough. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with making people stateless and thereby denying them the means to challenge that statelessness.

tbh kebabking, I don't think we are far apart in lack of sympathy for these jihadis, just differing in how they should be dealt with.

i'm not even talking about how they should be dealt with - my view is that just as these people have the absolute right to leave and affiliate themselves with whoever they like, we (society) have the absolute right to decide that someone who leaves under such circumstances forfits their rights to be a member of our society.

a modern Act of Attainder...

Apologies. Fair enough. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with making people stateless and thereby denying them the means to challenge that statelessness.

personally, i'm rather horrified at the government being so wet about the whole thing. i'd take the view that leaving to join one of these groups is by definition a renounciation of UK citizenship, and that if the individual doesn't have a 'back-up' citizenship should his killing/slavery trip go badly wrong then thats his look out..

bad decisions etc...

i'm not even talking about how they should be dealt with - my view is that just as these people have the absolute right to leave and affiliate themselves with whoever they like, we (society) have the absolute right to decide that someone who leaves under such circumstances forfits their rights to be a member of our society.

a modern Act of Attainder...
And there we differ. Profoundly. It would take me a long time to explain why I think the ties between citizen and state can't/shouldn't be so easily sundered and it's late.... But I do find it strange that people of the left are so willing to relinquish the state's duty to its citizens, however irksome.

And there we differ. Profoundly. It would take me a long time to explain why I think the ties between citizen and state can't/shouldn't be so easily sundered and it's late.... But I do find it strange that people of the left are so willing to relinquish the state's duty to its citizens, however irksome.

and what of the individuals duty to their society? forget the state, this is about people who believe they have no duty or responsibility to those around them but remarkably enough believe that the reverse is not true.

If I'm honest I'd say that if the Daily Mail is in favour of denying citizenship then I'm not. Then I'll work out why not. There are some more antisocial things than fighting foreign wars that citizens do without fear of losing citizenship. Sorry, it's late - I need to think about this more.

...There are some more antisocial things than fighting foreign wars that citizens do without fear of losing citizenship. Sorry, it's late - I need to think about this more.

ah, i fear we're at cross purposes - i'm not that fussed what people do when they aren't in the UK, thats for the legal systems in the countries they visit to deal with (ok, if they go somewhere without much of a legal system with the intention of just being vile to the locals then we may have to act on behalf of those people who don't get protection in their own country, but in principle..). my concern is what happens when they come back.

at present, if they come back they'll do 5-10 years in Belmarsh, wear a tag and not be allowed on the internet for the rest of their lives. they'll never be allowed a passport or to get on a plane, and they'll never work again. Belmarsh is £80k+ a year per jihadi and theres perhaps a thousand who are either on a sunny camping holiday, or have come back. from recall MI5 reckon they spend about £500,000 a year to monitor a jihadi reasonably closely... most of these people are in their early 20's. we may well still be be paying to monitor these people when we have a PM who's parents haven't been born yet.

so much for the cost to us all - lets go to the risk. these people were motivated before, now they are motivated, trained and brutalised - do you fancy living down the road from a bloke who is reckoned to have beheaded 10 or so people? do you really think MI5 will either have the resources or get every decision right to closely monitor a thousand jihadists who've come back?

principles, and being 'bigger' than our enemies is great - but my, and perhaps your, children will be getting on tube trains in London or Glasgow or Newcastle for the next 60 years. personally, if it reduces the risk of some beardie nutter getting on the same tube train as them with an explosive rucksack i can happily live with making the consequences of going to join these groups unpleasant..

Back
Top Bottom