Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

young jihadis

bluescreen

tofu eating wokerati
TBH I am much more concerned about people going out there in the first place than people coming back.
After weeks of negotiations PM David Cameron and his deputy Nick Clegg have agreed on new measures to try to stop British jihadists fighting in Iraq or Syria returning to the UK.

The intelligence services have estimated there are about 500 Britons who have gone to fight for the group known as Islamic State (IS).

Under the proposals unveiled by the prime minister during his visit to Australia, British fighters could be banned from coming home for two years.

The plans form part of the Counter-Terrorism Bill that the government hopes will be law by the end of January.

But it is highly contentious and there are serious concerns about whether it is workable given other established laws on citizenship, immigration and human rights.

'Managed return'
Critics fear that excluding Britons from returning to the UK - even if they face the most serious national security allegations - could amount to making them stateless.

There are numerous questions that lawyers and politicians will have about the legality of what is being proposed.

_78977873_024721550-1.jpg
Mr Cameron also promised new powers to enable police to seize passports from would-be jihadists
First, there are the other countries involved. Will Turkey be happy to detain - for potentially months on end - a Briton suspected of illegally fighting for a terrorist organisation if he turns up at Ankara airport but is banned from departing for the UK?

It is not clear if the British government has negotiated any agreements as this stage.

There is also the question of why these people need to be excluded in the first place. Can't they be arrested and charged with supporting terrorism as soon as they arrive back?​

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30048278

Hey sucker
(What the hell's got into you?)
Hey sucker
(Now there's something you can do)

Well I hadn't seen your face around town awhile,
So I greeted you, with a knowing smile,
When I saw that Imam upon your arm,
I knew he won your heart with a fatal charm.
I said "Soul Boy, let's hit the town!"
I said "Soul Boy, what's with the frown?"
But in return, all you could say was
"Hi George, meet my jihadi"

Surely it would be best to let them get back to the UK as soon as possible?

Most people who go out to fight are probably impressionable basically quite naive young men. Any questions of what's right and wrong wrt citizenship aside, the last thing you want is them floating around the globe for any longer than necessary. Prison doesn't work and this won't work. The 9/11 hijakers were not American citizens.

Also it does seem a bit like, citizenship can't be taken away unless you're Asian or hang around with Asian people.

Surely it would be best to let them get back to the UK as soon as possible?

Most people who go out to fight are probably impressionable basically quite naive young men. Any questions of what's right and wrong wrt citizenship aside, the last thing you want is them floating around the globe for any longer than necessary. Prison doesn't work and this won't work. The 9/11 hijakers were not American citizens.

Also it does seem a bit like, citizenship can't be taken away unless you're Asian or hang around with Asian people.
Do you think passing over a border will (and i hate to use this term) deradicalise them or something? This liberal guff is the beardies best friend. Have a look at the actual real life history and activities of these dangerous dangerous people then come back and do a more sensible post.

Do you think passing over a border will (and i hate to use this term) deradicalise them or something? This liberal guff is the beardies best friend. Have a look at the actual real life history and activities of these dangerous dangerous people then come back and do a more sensible post.
No, I think being effectively stateless and forcibly separated from their family, friends and everyday life will further radicalise them.

Also, dangerous people? Give me a break, even Bin Laden's biggest strength was what other people had built him up to be. You doing IS's marketing for them now?

Hmm, there's not much to suggest that the radicalised jihadists are stateless. They seem to be effectively home grown.

No, I think being effectively stateless and forcibly separated from their family, friends and everyday life will further radicalise them.
What even more than being in ISIS? You don't think that signifies a rather serious level of radicalistion - the sort that doesn't magically fall off when crossing a border? But yes, let's think of the real victims here - those poor beheading enslaving beardies - imagine the horror of being forcibly seperated from your family...oh, yeah, the slavery thing...

Going to Syria is absolutely the only way of getting radicalised. :facepalm:

*insert Road to Damascus joke here*

Anyway, as the originator of this thread, what do you think should happen?

Something along the lines of the idea floated, something different (some details would be nice) or nothing at all?

Also, dangerous people? Give me a break, even Bin Laden's biggest strength was what other people had built him up to be. You doing IS's marketing for them now?
You clueless clueless fool. Yes dangerous people. Have you any idea what is going on in syra and iraq right now? What these harmless people are actually up to? Go back to bed ffs.

You clueless clueless fool. Yes dangerous people. Have you any idea what is going on in syra and iraq right now? What these harmless people are actually up to? Go back to bed ffs.
I'm vaguely up to speed with it. I didn't realise it was all cut and dried and now Assad is a number one good guy. There was definitely some mass graves, chemical genocide stuff a while back.

*insert Road to Damascus joke here*

Anyway, as the originator of this thread, what do you think should happen?

Something along the lines of the idea floated, something different (some details would be nice) or nothing at all?
I wish I had an answer. There are clearly a lot of young men (yes, they seem to be mostly men) who feel alienated and under attack. I don't think it's a thing for cheap jokes.

I'm vaguely up to speed with it. I didn't realise it was all cut and dried and now Assad is a number one good guy. There was definitely some mass graves, chemical genocide stuff a while back.
No you're not. You're not up to speed with it at all. In fact you know fuck all about it or you wouldn't be wittering on about stuff that happened 18 months ago and insisting that ISIS and JAN beardies are not "dangerous people".

Back
Top Bottom