Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you continue using a face mask after 19 July?

Will you continue to use a mask in certain situations after 19 July?

• Yes

Votes: 213 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
If you include covid vaccines in your list of things that represent some kind of unacceptable, abnormal situation, then it will indeed be a never ending situation.

Bit like religion, I shouldn't really talk about vaccinations, zero-covid and every man woman and child being jabbed. So I won't talk about it.

But what would you like to see happen? What would be "back to normal" for you?
I suppose living with it. Promoting healthy eating and fitness would be another good move.
Pre-March 2020 would be a good indication of 'back to normal'.

Genuine answer:
Also picking my mother up off the floor a week after her AZ jab with a bleed to the brain didn't really sell it.
Really sorry to hear that....yeah it made me pass out and smash my head too...luckily no more damage than ringing head for a couple of days...next time will know not to get up from bed
Id still take it again though....

That's horrible for you. Was it caused by the jab though? I mean it's obviously tempting to assume so but
This was back in January, we assuned the fall she had caused the bleed, but then the AZ clot/stroke stories started emerging. Obviously I can't prove anything conclusively.

Is she ok now?
A matter of opinion really.
She was in hospital for two weeks with a broken wrist, then was transferred to a care home where she's been ever since.
She was showing signs of mental and physical deterioration ( forgetting things, leaving the oven on, doddery on her feet, she's 87 next week btw), but this just tipped her over the edge. Social Services have monitored her and to be honest she's not going to go home now.

But, she seems very happy. She's well looked after we visit our alliwed once a week visit and she looks well.
Sometimes it's dificult explaining things as she has her Major (Fawlty Towers) look on her face :D, but we tend to just talk about the weather, cats and foxes.

To be honest I don't really care if people want to carry on wearing masks, it's up to them, but in all seriousness when do you think things are going to go back to normal?
Majority of people on here have been jabbed (which is proven to not completely stop transmission), and the majority still want to wear masks.It's never-ending.
It's not an unreasonable question and the answer is that I don't know, but wearing a mask isn't an issue anyway. I am not really fussed about wearing masks at this point, I'm completely used to it, and given the stats on how KN95s do also protect the wearer specifically as well as needing everyone to wear them for any effect, I'll continue doing so as long as the virus looks like it's out there to the levels it still seems to be, even though I'm double-jabbed. Vaccines are great but like everything else it's all about building up the percentages. Wearing a mask sometimes does not change how "normal" things are apart from that, well, I'm wearing a mask sometimes.

International travel is the big thing for me and that's still completely fucked up and none of my personal decisions make a difference to that.

Bit like religion, I shouldn't really talk about vaccinations, zero-covid and every man woman and child being jabbed. So I won't talk about it.

Does routine testing bother you too? Because you should prepare yourself for the possibility that many people will be asked to take a test for flu this winter too.

Some things arent going back to the old ways because learning to cope with this virus means doing some things differently. And in order to hope to avoid the most draconian measures, other things have to be done instead. Those who refuse to come to terms with this are inviting the harshest of measures during critical moments, and winter offers plenty of potential for those.

Often wonder how people coped during other times of great upheaval/unrest/conflict, etc?

Thinking about "Spanish" flu, the great depression, WW1 & 2. Comparatively speaking, it was worse in those incidences. Abscence of medicines, coping mechanisms, food shortages, mass death.

There must have been movements at those times - going against the protocols.

Often wonder how people coped during other times of great upheaval/unrest/conflict, etc?

Thinking about "Spanish" flu, the great depression, WW1 & 2. Comparatively speaking, it was worse in those incidences. Abscence of medicines, coping mechanisms, food shortages, mass death.

There certainly was resistance to black-out measures in the early part of WW2, in England. I don't have links to hand but found them quite easily for myself last summer when I did some reading online about it.

Black-out measures came with costs to businesses, eg having to buy double lots of curtains for doorways of restaurants, pubs, etc, and some loss of trade. Also in the early months certain crimes rose significantly and people felt less safe in the streets after dark. This was before any blitz bombings of English cities so some people felt it was unnecessary and refused to comply. Then the bombs started falling, and at least some of them changed their minds (or got sent away to fight and/or died...).

In regards the 1918, I believe most of the interesting stories on that front will be glimpsed via whatever is left of local histories, press reports etc. Because I get the impression that most restrictions were decided locally, eg via the local public health boards.

Here are just a few examples of the sorts of little snippets we can find on the internet that point to that sort of thing. A lot of this stuff tends to reinforce thoughts of 'the more things change the more they stay the same!'. But there are obvious differences too, and I think peoples personal perception of the disease and of any restrictions that affected their lives would have largely been more truncated than what we have already experienced in this pandemic. Partly because they experienced restrictions, disruption and a sense of what stage of danger things were at on a far more local basis, which tends to truncate the timescales involved compared to how long the wider emergency would last nationally and globally. But also because there are probably some differences between how long waves lasted in that pandemic compared to this one, for various reasons I wont bore on about all that much right now. We tried to intervene more this time which affected wave timing, are there are likely some other differences in the epidemic dynamics of the 1918 influenza compared to this coronavirus. Not to mention the issues we've had with new variants already (resulting in merged autumn and winter waves that lasted a long time when combined), and differences in our size of populations and levels of interconnectivity and speed of travel between locations.

On Nov. 1, with a slackening in the number of new cases both of the city's daily newspapers reported that the flu was on the wane. By mid month most of the restrictions had been lifted due to the 'urgent requests of businessmen." Almost immediately the number of new cases skyrocketed with 44 reported on the lath, 45 on the 20th, 35 on the 21st and 33 more on the 22nd. The death list continued to grow with multiple deaths occurring on a daily basis. On Nov. 23, the same day that three members of the Hancock family of Bank Street died, city health officials banned public dances for the duration of the epidemic.

By Nov. 26, City Hospital opened its doors to flu patients and the emergency hospital was closed due to an inability to secure help and nursing staff there. It was reported that the funerals of the many victims were forced to be delayed as there were not enough grave diggers available.

New cases continued to develop into December and city school children were given an early Christmas present when schools were ordered closed from Dec. 6 until Jan. 6th. Musicians and theatre owners continued their protests against the Health Board ban which would eventually be lifted on Dec. 21. On the 27th the Tribune, with no new cases reported the previous day, proclaimed in large headlines "BACKBONE OF FLU IS BROKEN HERE."

A letter published in the ECHO at the time of the Spanish Flu pandemic, described "the exclusion of children from cinemas" as "a cruel hardship on poor people".

It said: "In effect it means that they are debarred from having any forms of entertainment owing to their having children.

"I read only a few days ago in the ECHO the opinion of a medical officer of health that this influenza attacks chiefly adults from 25 to 40 years and certainly if you judge from the number of healthy looking children in the streets today they are fairly free from the epidemic justice."

Last edited:
In regards the 1918, I believe most of the interesting stories on that front will be glimpsed via whatever is left of local histories, press reports etc. Because I get the impression that most restrictions were decided locally, eg via the local public health boards.

Here are just a few examples of the sorts of little snippets we can find on the internet that point to that sort of thing. A lot of this stuff tends to reinforce thoughts of 'the more things change the more they stay the same!'. But there are obvious differences too, and I think peoples personal perception of the disease and of any restrictions that affected their lives would have largely been more truncated than what we have already experienced in this pandemic. Partly because they experienced restrictions, disruption and a sense of what stage of danger things were at on a far more local basis, which tends to truncate the timescales involved compared to how long the wider emergency would last nationally and globally. But also because there are probably some differences between how long waves lasted in that pandemic compared to this one, for various reasons I wont bore on about all that much right now. We tried to intervene more this time which affected wave timing, are there are likely some other differences in the epidemic dynamics of the 1918 influenza compared to this coronavirus. Not to mention the issues we've had with new variants already (resulting in merged autumn and winter waves that lasted a long time when combined), and differences in our size of populations and levels of interconnectivity and speed of travel between locations.

Fascinating, many thanks for that!

ETA; got bit confused about East Liverpool & East Palestine (they're in the US, not UK, obviously)...

Black-out measures came with costs to businesses, eg having to buy double lots of curtains for doorways of restaurants, pubs, etc, and some loss of trade. Also in the early months certain crimes rose significantly and people felt less safe in the streets after dark.
Traffic accidents went through the roof too. A significant cause of deaths and injuries were people being unable to see where they should get off buses and trams. Often they'd get carried past their stop and have to try to walk back in the pitch black, only to get hit by another bus or tram which had hardly any illumination.

Does routine testing bother you too? Because you should prepare yourself for the possibility that many people will be asked to take a test for flu this winter too.
i've got used to that now, although I hate it and it makes me gag everytime. :(
Went from not ever having a test, much to the surprse of the care-home nurse back in May, to having them at least once a week. Now each care home visit and before and on each day of doing any film extra work.

This was back in January, we assuned the fall she had caused the bleed, but then the AZ clot/stroke stories started emerging. Obviously I can't prove anything conclusively.

With associated VITTs. A fall in an 87 year old is so much more likely to be the cause of her problems. That and being 87.

With associated VITTs. A fall in an 87 year old is so much more likely to be the cause of her problems. That and being 87.
I guess we'll never know. I was only told on the phone by a doctor from Homerton Hospital about the bleed, and only the broken wrist appeared on her release paper.

But hey ho.

Back
Top Bottom