Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you continue using a face mask after 19 July?

Will you continue to use a mask in certain situations after 19 July?

• Yes

Votes: 213 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I don't understand why people start petitions on these sort of sites, they just get totally ignored.

At least they look at & respond to those set-up on the petition parliament site:

Same here - I tend not to sign them because of that. Don't know why people don't start them on the government site in the first place - I think anyone can start one if they want.

Not him, but I'm not sure I do. I think things like public transport, public services like libraries, and shops are very different as people don't really have much of a choice to avoid them, but with pubs and clubs and gigs it's much easier to avoid if you take that decision to lessen your own risk.

Yeah, that's my position, but at the same time, the people who work in pubs and clubs don't have a choice to avoid...

Same here - I tend not to sign them because of that. Don't know why people don't start them on the government site in the first place - I think anyone can start one if they want.
Does the Cabinet ever actually even see petitions on things like change.org or organise? At the end of day they have no more legal status than one passed around in the pub (remember when we had such things?) and unless someone tells Boris that there is such a petition he'll never even know (and we know he doesn't care). The official parliamentary ones at least someone does look and presumably tells the appropriate minister that x number of people care about y.

The maskless numbers in my local supermarkets are picking up. It's like the announcement was sufficient - perhaps two weeks was too long to wait ...
It's a shock to see more and more of my local Aldi staff maskless - and today it wasn't "just" shelf-stackers, but today it was someone vocally directing people to the self-service tills ..
Yeah, last night in my local Aldi there were four customers without masks out of maybe 12 customers that I could see, and none of the staff had masks on.

I'm at work today and there's a committed non-mask wearer there, despite having been told by management more than once (she's anti-vax and borderline covid denier from what I've heard her say). I've been really careful the last ten days so tomorrow I can go and see some elderly folks for a few days at a lower risk level. I'm going to be really very pissed off if she's swanning about the building without a mask again.

I had missed this, from a couple of weeks ago, but Israel has reintroduced a requirement to wear masks indoors, despite their vaccination programme being ahead of the UK, thanks to the delta variant their average daily new cases has gone from 16 to 452 in a month, whereas in the same period we have gone from 6,556 to 30,144. :facepalm:

Common sense to prevail in Wales, and no doubt Scotland too.

In Wales, masks must still be worn in taxis, on trains and buses, as well as health and social care settings when coronavirus restrictions are eased, the Welsh government said.

It added that "active further consideration" is being given to whether they will still be required by law in other settings, like retail.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said: "We will need everyone's help to keep coronavirus under control as we continue to respond to the pandemic - this virus has quite certainly not gone away.
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is due to announce her country's next steps out of lockdown on Tuesday, but
has already described Mr Johnson's approach as "something of an exception", appearing to indicate hers will be more cautious.

In Northern Ireland, the removal of rules around all face coverings, with regulations potentially replaced by guidance, are due to be considered next month.

I'm at work today and there's a committed non-mask wearer there, despite having been told by management more than once (she's anti-vax and borderline covid denier from what I've heard her say). I've been really careful the last ten days so tomorrow I can go and see some elderly folks for a few days at a lower risk level. I'm going to be really very pissed off if she's swanning about the building without a mask again.
She will definitely be swanning about without a mask again.

It's really hard to know how to deal with it. It's been noted by a few other people at work as well. I did talk to her a month or two back which was when I realised she was a conspiracy person. It's been brought to the attention of management twice. I also chatted to her line manager who said she knew and had told her repeatedly, but she still doesn't wear one.

It's really hard to know how to deal with it. It's been noted by a few other people at work as well. I did talk to her a month or two back which was when I realised she was a conspiracy person. It's been brought to the attention of management twice. I also chatted to her line manager who said she knew and had told her repeatedly, but she still doesn't wear one.
shouldn’t it be a disciplinary issue?

shouldn’t it be a disciplinary issue?

I guess, but think it's probably a complicated one, and also think management are probably understandably avoiding it tbh. Bonkers though, healthcare setting and we're struggling with sickness anyway, she could in theory close the place down with her actions. Especially as if she's not mask wearing as I expect that means she's probably not following any other guidance either.

I guess, but think it's probably a complicated one, and also think management are probably understandably avoiding it tbh. Bonkers though, healthcare setting and we're struggling with sickness anyway, she could in theory close the place down with her actions. Especially as if she's not mask wearing as I expect that means she's probably not following any other guidance either.
you could perhaps band together with colleagues and tell management that you won’t work with her unless she dons a mask?

Just key their car or shit in their lunch

you could perhaps band together with colleagues and tell management that you won’t work with her unless she dons a mask?
This. In hindsight I wish I'd walked out first lockdown and said I'm not coming back to work unless you put screens up and stop people entering without masks.

If something similar can be done with regards to the mask less conspiracy fuck nut then do it.

So, masks are back on..?

The fucking idiotic government appear to be nervous that they've misjudged the public mood and that their freedom rhetoric is a reckless multiplier of relaxed attitudes.

Assuming there is a press conference to accompany tomorrows announcements, the mixed messages are, like last week, bound to be farcical and desperate.

Having considered the situation again (as I do on a frequent basis) I'm going to keep wearing my good FFP2 mask in places it is necessary to protect others and myself (and the members of my household).
Such as shops, at work, in crowded places (especially indoors) and on public transport.
We've gone back onto on-line food shopping [with the exception of milk, which will be bought locally as keeping a week's supply cold in the summer is difficult even with two fridges and two freezers].
And our planned trips to places of interest / cafes & pubs etc are going to be postponed until the case rate drops back to a sensible [low] level.
OH has been tutoring our great-niece, but that is also postponed for a while [that household was shielding].

I have at least two trips away for work booked within the next few weeks and I can't, thanks to BoJo's "freedom day" shite, really call them off, yet again. I'll just have to take extra, extra precautions ...

Extremely frustrating situation - sounds to me too like it should be a disciplinary matter but if management are shying away from that, is there any chance of union involvement? Is this person in a union and if so, is it the same union as you and other colleagues, so could there be a union ‘sit-down’ and attempt to mediate / persuade them?

Back
Top Bottom