Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Hurricane Milton be a dud or will it be paradise lost?

Tampa Zoo, which is involved with local and global conservation projects, is in the path of the hurricane.

Protecting the animals there is a huge project.

(I don’t like zoos but I understand that they’re currently necessary.)
The sloths that live at Florida’s aquarium were evacuated from their home… albeit v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. 🦥

That's the spirit

View attachment 446191

View attachment 446190

Brits and “preparing themselves to adversity!” 😂😂😂

He looks the type that panic-buys beer in Morrisons when there’s half an an inch of snow on the ground

In addition to being concerned about the impending devastation and the looming dreadful future for Florida and Floridians, I also have room in my head for concern and consideration about the impact climate change and resulting increasingly large storms will have on the native flora and fauna.

Your dismissal of their plight shows your ignorance. It’s a huge deal. Hurricanes and other big storms have a significant detrimental effect on wildlife, both at sea and on land. Climate change will cause bigger more frequent storms, leading to increased harm to the flora and fauna. It’s actually a pretty big deal.

Milton is huge. That makes it newsworthy. Because it’s a historically huge storm, I’m considering the impact it will have not only on humans and human infrastructure, but also on the other creatures that will be affected, as well as the local landscape and shoreline, which could also be changed.

Florida like every part of the world has been transformed by human settlement, which has had over the centuries a huge impact on native flora and fauna. An impact that it is much less resistant to than even a hurricane of this magnitude.

As to the landscape and the shoreline much of this is the creation of that same human intervention. The Florida mangroves are better adapted to storms like this than the Florida golf courses and beach resorts.

Last edited:
Florida like every part of the world has been transformed by human settlement, which has had over the centuries a huge impact on native flora and fauna. An impact that it is much less resistant to than even a hurricane of this magnitude.

As to the landscape and the shoreline much of this is the creation of that same human intervention. The Florida mangroves are better adapted to storms like this than the Florida golf courses and beach resorts.

This is very thin stuff.

You be you, I’ll be over here being me.

Had to edit that last post of mine as I said tornado by mistake, due to the number of tornados this weather system already produced today and the amount of coverage those received on live weather channels up to this point, leaving me with tornados on the brain. Now the attention of those channels should shift to landfall of the hurricane.

edit - although speaking of todays tornado activity:

I’m grateful to you elbows for your ongoing contributions to our collective understanding of all sorts of stuff.
Cheers. I dont try to be a weather smartarse all that much these days though, just happen to have some time to watch some channels on youtube tonight that know what they are talking about. And I have been watching more live US storm chasing videos of various sorts in the last 10 months, learnt plenty but Im not fit to pass most of the technical detail on to others.

By the way, last time I watched some live youtube hurricane coverage it felt like an anti-climax when it came ashore, especially compared to the sort of live footage you get from stormchasers if they happen upon a tornado ripping apart a populated area.

But in reality that hurricane had quite the impact on humans, but this wasnt obvious till a long time later, via flooding from excessive rain.

I don't doubt that. Your attitude towards the downgrading is my issue. Tornados currently ripping up every square mile, record breaking tidal surges, and the hurricane yet to hit. There are times and places to sneer against Americans' reactions.
I admit I don't really understand why it being a category 3 wouldn't affect the water surge tbh and why that's still predicted to be one of the worst ever. Someone posted something in the other weather thread about how Hurricane Sandy was one of the worst ever despite it only being a tropical storm and I'm not really sure how that worked :(

I can understand why a large category 3 could be more deadly than a small category 5 but I don't understand why it would have no impact on the storm surge.

This is very thin stuff.

You be you, I’ll be over here being me.

At least, I'm not being whipped into a frenzy by the latest item on the 24 hour news cycle. Would you know about this if it wasn't going to damage some very expensive real estate?

I don't doubt that. Your attitude towards the downgrading is my issue. Tornados currently ripping up every square mile, record breaking tidal surges, and the hurricane yet to hit. There are times and places to sneer against Americans' reactions.

Yes and all the sites who consider it their responsibility to get other people to act responsibly have to spend quite a lot of time telling people not to let down their guard just because a hurricane got downgraded. They always weaken when they get close to and then reach land, this was already factored into evacuation plans and this is not enough to ensure that impact on locations and people will be minimal.

Yes some of the maximum possible wind speeds, maximum possible storm surge heights are often downgraded. Large numbers become smaller ones, but they still have potential for harm. They dont mean that mass evacuations are an overreaction. We are lucky that weather can be predicted with a fair degree of accuracy of these days, but that still leaves plenty of room for uncertainty when it comes to the impact on any particular location from a particular weather event. A bullet could be dodged in one place while a place not far away gets wrecked.

Armchair fuckwits that piss on the concept of 'better safe than sorry' are usually not in the danger zone anyway. Those that are actually in the danger zone and still have that sort of stance will sometimes get away with it, and sometimes not. Occasionally they pose a burden on emergency services and put the people that end up having to rescue them in danger. Evacuations are in part a numbers game designed to reduce that potential burden.

At least, I'm not being whipped into a frenzy by the latest item on the 24 hour news cycle. Would you know about this if it wasn't going to damage some very expensive real estate?
That is one factor in the amount of coverage a particular event gets. Its far from the only one though. Others include the size of the population, whether the weather system came close to breaking any records earlier in its evolution (in this case the minimum pressure was fairly impressive) and also how long it has been in recorded modern history since a similar weather event was expected to hit that particular location. Also how much other news is vying for the top headlines on any particular day. And of course the response is also newsworthy in itself, eg if the scale of the evacuation is considered newsworthy.

Oh and the news can also get primed by previous recent events. The impact of the recent hurricane probably made people and news services more sensitive to this latest hurricane.

That is one factor in the amount of coverage a particular event gets. Its far from the only one though. Others include the size of the population, whether the weather system came close to breaking any records earlier in its evolution (in this case the minimum pressure was fairly impressive) and also how long it has been in recorded modern history since a similar weather event was expected to hit that particular location. Also how much other news is vying for the top headlines on any particular day. And of course the response is also newsworthy in itself, eg if the scale of the evacuation is considered newsworthy.

Oh and the news can also get primed by previous recent events. The impact of the recent hurricane probably made people and news services more sensitive to this latest hurricane.
It intensified shockingly rapidly.

The wealth of the population more than the actual size and the fact that Florida is a swing state and we are less than a month away from a contentious US Presidential election: the risk of hanging Chad's blowing in the wind.

I think one of the reasons it’s making big news is because it seems to augur the future in terms of how climate change could impact on storms and the results of those storms.

Back
Top Bottom