Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Hurricane Milton be a dud or will it be paradise lost?

I have elderly relatives in Tampa. My Mum's cousin and his wife live there. He has long been a ham radio enthusiast and, as part of that, has participated in organised local hurricane preparedness - updating people and transmitting information - which is useful when phone lines and other infrastucture are impacted. They have always tended to just ride storms and hurricanes out, always having lots of water supplies and boarding up their entire property... but as it looks like Tampa is going to be right in the eye of Milton, on this occasion I hope they have evacuated.

Genuinely bonkers how many people are repeating conspiracy theories about the storm being deliberately "geoengineered", HAARP-related etc under news stories about it, a real horrifying mixing of tin foil America, near-election paranoia and casting about for any excuse not to acknowledge they bought a lie about climate change being a hoax.

Unlike the human pensioners living in trailers they will have evolved to cope with such events This is being billed as a the worst hurricane in a century. A century isn't that long and the flora and fauna have been around for millennia.

You’ve misunderstood me.
Or I’ve misrepresented myself.

Of course I’m worried and a concerned about the humans. I’ve been all over the American weather thread, I’ve got the live streams going in the background, checking for stats and updates etc. I have family there.

In addition to being concerned about the impending devastation and the looming dreadful future for Florida and Floridians, I also have room in my head for concern and consideration about the impact climate change and resulting increasingly large storms will have on the native flora and fauna.

Your dismissal of their plight shows your ignorance. It’s a huge deal. Hurricanes and other big storms have a significant detrimental effect on wildlife, both at sea and on land. Climate change will cause bigger more frequent storms, leading to increased harm to the flora and fauna. It’s actually a pretty big deal.

If this doesn’t much bother you for the animals, then bear in mind that the damage to invertebrates, mycelium, the microbiome etc in the soil will have a knock on effect for agriculture and therefore humans, from farmers up to consumers.

And so on and so forth.

Dismissing non-humans with “yeah they’re nature so they’ll deal with it” is dumb. If you haven’t got the common sense to work it out for yourself, look it up.

Another thing that’s annoying me is how this storm is getting all the front pages as it pertains to the USA.

It’s already hit the Yucatan peninsular and caused significant damage. Havana is buckling in for a rough ride too. And it’s typhoon season in the southern hemisphere. Typhoon Yagi killed 59 people last month.

Milton is huge. That makes it newsworthy. Because it’s a historically huge storm, I’m considering the impact it will have not only on humans and human infrastructure, but also on the other creatures that will be affected, as well as the local landscape and shoreline, which could also be changed.

Tampa Zoo, which is involved with local and global conservation projects, is in the path of the hurricane.

Protecting the animals there is a huge project.

(I don’t like zoos but I understand that they’re currently necessary.)

Concern for animals is a shared concern for life. Most humans (not all) can help themselves. Animals are victimized and cruelly treated under even ordinary circumstances.

The thousands of animals that will be die are also victims of global warming

Exactly.

Not automatically knowing this and actually querying the concern for the animals…

The either-or thing is just extraordinarily dumb.

That article does say they intend to shelter indoors so hopefully they’ve done due diligence about how to do that properly.

Back
Top Bottom