Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the SNP are an embarrassment

Sorry, DLR, but I think that's rather cool. "Nicola Sturgeon, Scotch Icon" is what comes to mind.

But they are an embarassment, that seems to ring true. Would it be fair to say that they're gradually taking over the "Tammany Hall" role previously occupied by Scotch Labour?

You guys should be independent of course - but thinking that will solve all your problems, well. . . jings, crivvens, helpmaboab!

Embarrassing or not, the SNP are still the hub of the independence movement- once/if that’s achieved, I don’t expect them to be around that long in their current form because independence has to mean a complete reappraisal and restructuring of Scottish politics.

Yeah, we thought something similar in Ireland, a century ago.
I'm with Idris on this one. The SNP leadership will naturally seek to tighten their grip over Scotland after independence. Consider it a junior managerial buy out. I think this has happened in most historical breakaways.

But the unlikelihood of the SNP achieving secession on their own terms opens space for a more radical independence campaign. To continue the Irish analogy, the current SNP could be compared to the failed Irish nationalist parliamentary parties of the late 1800s, after which came radical republicans in the early 1900s. (who of course didn't achieve all their demands, but I think that's another story).

Perhaps the main embarrassment is the currency question, on which debate has been suppressed by the leadership.

I'm with Idris on this one. The SNP leadership will naturally seek to tighten their grip over Scotland after independence. Consider it a junior managerial buy out. I think this has happened in most historical breakaways.

You don’t know the SNP at all then.

You don’t know the SNP at all then.
I know that there's things which pass at conference which the leadership still do not accept. I know that Andrew Wilson is a neoliberal economic ideologue. Also the two top people being a married couple is arguably pretty dodgy. Thought that was enough, but maybe not? Ps. I still vote for them...

This Discontent Scotland film is quite funny, on COP26, the middle class protestor, and the SNP. Wasn't sure whether to post ot here or on the "SNP are scab scum" thread.

I know that there's things which pass at conference which the leadership still do not accept. I know that Andrew Wilson is a neoliberal economic ideologue. Also the two top people being a married couple is arguably pretty dodgy. Thought that was enough, but maybe not? Ps. I still vote for them...

The evolution of SNP voters.

mM3cBTx.jpg

This Discontent Scotland film is quite funny, on COP26, the middle class protestor, and the SNP. Wasn't sure whether to post ot here or on the "SNP are scab scum" thread.

"A Shouty Wee Ned" No one can do insults like the Scottish

You know Sasaferrato if you mentioned actual transgressions of the SNP, I think that would be helpful.

Ferries five years late,
A hospital that was costing £1.1m a month, which could not be used for over a year, but was paid for for that time, because no one noticed that the system which changed the air, could not do so to the specification.

A hospital where poor maintenance and hygiene killed two children, and sickened others.

A ferry service to Arran, that is so unrealisable that the Island economy is suffering a loss of £170,000 a week.

An utterly deplorable health service, underfunded, understaffed and a series of utterly incompetent health ministers.

The discharge of untested patients to care homes, which was culpable homicide.

Need I go on? Even their electoral bribe of free travel has only had about 25% of those eligible apply.

The ferries thing is interesting, given that the shipyard was brought back to life as a private endeavour, it wasn't set up by the SNP.

Both the hospitals you mentioned were started on PFI contracts iirc, so again private companies were involved. Should they have been done under this form of contract? My thoughts are 'no' but equally if that's the only way to get the hospitals built, there might not be a lot of other options. The QEUH scandal was particularly appalling but I think the majority of the blame lies at the door of the health board, not the SNP.

Ferry services to all of the islands needs to be improved. It needs to be reliable and actually serve the community.

The NHS has done an admirable job in the pandemic, but this is a UK wide issue. It's not the fault of the SNP that people have been so abusive to frontline staff that some have left altogether. But more funding should be allocated across all aspects of the health service, definitely.

The discharge of patients with covid to care homes was horrendous. But when the government guidance was issued on 13th March 2020 and then lockdown started in Scotland on 23rd March. Testing was implemented on more widescale basis by mid-April. Don't forget hindsight is a wonderful thing especially with the events of the past couple of years. We were learning about the coronoavirus every day.

I think your distaste of the SNP colours the lens you look through. They're always 100% culpable in your eyes even when things are complex and they are only part of the equation.

The ferries thing is interesting, given that the shipyard was brought back to life as a private endeavour, it wasn't set up by the SNP.

Both the hospitals you mentioned were started on PFI contracts iirc, so again private companies were involved. Should they have been done under this form of contract? My thoughts are 'no' but equally if that's the only way to get the hospitals built, there might not be a lot of other options. The QEUH scandal was particularly appalling but I think the majority of the blame lies at the door of the health board, not the SNP.

Ferry services to all of the islands needs to be improved. It needs to be reliable and actually serve the community.

The NHS has done an admirable job in the pandemic, but this is a UK wide issue. It's not the fault of the SNP that people have been so abusive to frontline staff that some have left altogether. But more funding should be allocated across all aspects of the health service, definitely.

The discharge of patients with covid to care homes was horrendous. But when the government guidance was issued on 13th March 2020 and then lockdown started in Scotland on 23rd March. Testing was implemented on more widescale basis by mid-April. Don't forget hindsight is a wonderful thing especially with the events of the past couple of years. We were learning about the coronoavirus every day.

I think your distaste of the SNP colours the lens you look through. They're always 100% culpable in your eyes even when things are complex and they are only part of the equation.

Straight out of Sturgeon's playbook 'Not my fault and I have no recollection of that'.

3oIGyvm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom