Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do people from privileged class backgrounds often misidentify their origins as working class?

This is what it always comes down to: “do me! Am I one of the ‘bad guys’?” No, you aren’t. That’s not what it’s about.
Not in the slightest. I wish!

I don't think I've said much that contradicts what you've posted fwiw. Where we possibly disagree is on the value of certain sets of labels. As I said, imo the best way to work out your relationship to the means of production (all of them, not just your company's) is to look at your bank account. At the very least, that's a place to start.

lots of people, in London and SE especially, earn big salaries but certainly couldn't live off their capital. not even close.

I still don't buy it. You say owning a house doesn't change your class position, but when you come to own it outright you are then hugely protected from the ups and downs of the labour market and even the pension system. You are free to vote for people who believe that labour should be cheaper without it having real consequences for you. I call that a change in class position.

I still don't buy it. You say owning a house doesn't change your class position, but when you come to own it outright you are then hugely protected from the ups and downs of the labour market and even the pension system. You are free to vote for people who believe that labour should be cheaper without it having real consequences for you. I call that a change in class position.

I work with loads of nurses who own their house, some outright, does that make them not working class? Lol that they're 'hugely protected' by this btw.

It’s may be a condition that not all working class people share, but it doesn’t signify a change in class (for the reasons outlined above). Any more than having a contract while others are on zero hours makes you a different class.

It’s may be a condition that not all working class people share, but it doesn’t signify a change in class (for the reasons outlined above). Any more than having a contract while others are on zero hours makes you a different class.
Not so sure about this. If you own your house, even if you still have a mortgage, you have passed over into a group whose interests successive governments, tory and labour, make a point of directing their policies towards protecting. Doesn't really matter what you call it tbh, but it's a significant shift in your position in society.

Not so sure about this. If you own your house, even if you still have a mortgage, you have passed over into a group whose interests successive governments, tory and labour, make a point of directing their policies towards protecting. Doesn't really matter what you call it tbh, but it's a significant shift in your position in society.
It’s not in itself a change in your relationship to the means of production. And the extent to which it’s useable capital is addressed above.

It's this sort of analysis which has gained for you your unenviable reputation

It’s not in itself a change in your relationship to the means of production. And the extent to which it’s useable capital is addressed above.
This ends up being circular though. "I have defined class as being relationship to MOP, so anything else you mention does not define class." Whereas actually people are using - and are entitled to use - class as a wider description of people's position in society. To defend your position you have to say that only relationship to MOP matters because the conflict between capital and labour is the defining conflict of society etc, but this requires buying into a whole ideological system. 'Marxism has the only valid defn of class because Marxism has the only valid description of society' is not really defensible except to dedicated Marxists. The dishonest move that then goes on is 'Only Marxism has a materialist account of people's interests, everything else is wet liberalism', whereas what a bunch of people on this thread are trying to argue is that there is an account of material interests that does not accord with classical Marxism, and considers things besides relationship to MOP. To reply to that with 'Well that's not true because only relationship to MOP matters' is simply to refer back to the ideological framework that others were trying to challenge.

This ends up being circular though. "I have defined class as being relationship to MOP, so anything else you mention does not define class." Whereas actually people are using - and are entitled to use - class as a wider description of people's position in society. To defend your position you have to say that only relationship to MOP matters because the conflict between capital and labour is the defining conflict of society etc, but this requires buying into a whole ideological system. 'Marxism has the only valid defn of class because Marxism has the only valid description of society' is not really defensible except to dedicated Marxists. The dishonest move that then goes on is 'Only Marxism has a materialist account of people's interests, everything else is wet liberalism', whereas what a bunch of people on this thread are trying to argue is that there is an account of material interests that does not accord with classical Marxism, and considers things besides relationship to MOP. To reply to that with 'Well that's not true because only relationship to MOP matters' is simply to refer back to the ideological framework that others were trying to challenge.
I think you'll find dlr isn't a marxist

If that's what you think is the case, then where does it leave your politics and political struggle, as I assume it then means you must have given up on class struggle as the factor in this as so many of the country are now not working class and have a position that makes them identify with the needs of capital?

Then what you are calling class is not the same thing I’m calling class. In which case we can bring in whether you like avocados and Charles Dickens, because it’s not the same thing we’re talking about.

someone who is working class in terms of work as defined by a simple classic marxist category who owns property, has a healthy private pension, hell even a second holiday home, why not, can no longer be relied on to relate materially to a working class person with fuck all but a shit job
I'm not sure this is strictly true. Increasingly, those in the second category are the children or grandchildren of those in the first - they literally relate.

Whereas, historically, subsequent generations tented to be better off than their predecessors, that's been turned on its head.

A lot of the people I grew up with had parents who woeked manual jobs but could buy a home on one and a bit incomes (the wife typically working part time), had decent pensions, and could put a bit aside a little bit to pay for a holiday each year. Their grandkids leave university saddled with massive debt and have shitty insecure jobs, and have no real prospect of owning a home.

Then what you are calling class is not the same thing I’m calling class. In which case we can bring in whether you like avocados and Charles Dickens, because it’s not the same thing we’re talking about.
I think he wants you to explain why people should subscribe you your/Marx's conception of class, rather than any other.

If that's what you think is the case, then where does it leave your politics and political struggle, as I assume it then means you must have given up on class struggle as the factor in this as so many of the country are now not working class and have a position that makes them identify with the needs of capital?
He's a famous liberal

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Sure, but I think I could make the argument successfully that what matters about class at large scale is material interests, and that this can be quite complex in our society. I don't think avocados will have much analytical power to explain why what happens in society happens, whereas I do think material interests do. The material interests of a worker who will inherit a house are objectively different from those of a worker who will not inherit a house. The latter will e.g. put up with a lower salary if they enjoy a job, the latter can't afford to put up with low salaries, whether or not they enjoy their job. This has serious effects in certain industries - e.g culture industries, which then has an effect, through art, on how people view themselves etc etc

The material interests of a worker who will inherit a house are objectively different from those of a worker who will not inherit a house.
Ah, hold on. That’s a different example. That’s not savings from one’s own labour stored as the house you are using, that’s inherited wealth. As the name of the tax that would apply (capital gains tax) suggests. C/f now my list of responses to “what abouts”.

A house is not really an capitalist asset if you are living in it. (and not acquiring unearned income from subletting). The current mad equity rises are a blip - an artificially inflated bribe and not, in itself, much of an indicator of class (although I rent, and so do my kids and I swear, in the current climate, this does feel a massive disadvantage). As a penniless gardener, I would be a member of the petit bourgoisie (cos I own my own secateurs) but as I don't profit from the labour of anyone else, it is still fairly simple to situate myself within a class system...and prioritise working class interests. I dunno, I did all this at school in the 70s and as far as I can see, basic principles still apply.

A house is not really a capitalist asset if you are living in it. The current mad equity rises are a blip - an artificially inflated bribe and not, in itself, much of an indicator of class (although I rent, and so do my kids and I swear, in the current climate, this does feel a massive disadvantage). As a penniless gardener, I would be a member of the petit bourgoisie (cos I own my own secateurs) but as I don't profit from the labour of anyone else, it is still fairly simple to situate myself within a class system...and prioritise working class interests. I dunno, I did all this at school in the 70s and as far as I can see, basic principles still apply.
Exactly.

Ah, hold on. That’s a different example. That’s not savings from one’s own labour stored as the house you are using, that’s inherited wealth. As the name of the tax that would apply (capital gains tax) suggests. C/f now my list of responses to “what abouts”.
You're behind the times Danny, almost no-one buys a house these days without inherited wealth. The only people buying just from their own labour are those people on £100k.

A house is not really an capitalist asset if you are living in it. (and not acquiring unearned income from subletting). The current mad equity rises are a blip - an artificially inflated bribe and not, in itself, much of an indicator of class (although I rent, and so do my kids and I swear, in the current climate, this does feel a massive disadvantage). As a penniless gardener, I would be a member of the petit bourgoisie (cos I own my own secateurs) but as I don't profit from the labour of anyone else, it is still fairly simple to situate myself within a class system...and prioritise working class interests. I dunno, I did all this at school in the 70s and as far as I can see, basic principles still apply.
I'm talking about how material conditions affect the behaviour of people on a large scale. Owning a house is one of the factors, whether or not you are making money on it or profiting from someone else's labour.

You're behind the times Danny, almost no-one buys a house these days without inherited wealth. The only people buying just from their own labour are those people on £100k.
Er bollocks.
Sure, but I think I could make the argument successfully that what matters about class at large scale is material interests, and that this can be quite complex in our society. I don't think avocados will have much analytical power to explain why what happens in society happens, whereas I do think material interests do. The material interests of a worker who will inherit a house are objectively different from those of a worker who will not inherit a house. The latter will e.g. put up with a lower salary if they enjoy a job, the latter can't afford to put up with low salaries, whether or not they enjoy their job. This has serious effects in certain industries - e.g culture industries, which then has an effect, through art, on how people view themselves etc etc
If you think you can make it successfully you can try again

They needn’t. But my post #799 explains why I think it’s important to revolutionary communists.
I don't think it does; you've not really made a case for why a relationship to the means of production is the best measure of material interest in the modern world (and you've slightly glossed over some of the challenges that poses e.g. we all own the means of production by way of shares in pensions).

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but am playing devil's advocate to tease out your excellent analysis.

say you live in the south east without saying you live in the south east
I do, it's true, and I was talking about the conditions in the south east (plus a bunch of other cities). But what do we make of the fact that it used to be abnormal to buy your house with inherited wealth but is now for large parts of the country the norm? This is a change to material conditions.

Back
Top Bottom