Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do people from privileged class backgrounds often misidentify their origins as working class?

Homes are being built.

Just the wrong sort.

Winchburgh is a £1 billion development encircling the historic village in West Lothian, some seven miles from Edinburgh Airport. The masterplan will create at least 3,450 homes including 700 affordable houses, 400 of which will be for social rent.

When we bought our house, it was a purely financial decision rather than a class aspiration. The mortgage payments were half that of renting a similar property so it was an easy choice. Of course this was in much saner times when anyone on a small income could secure a mortgage (& house prices to match) and 30 years on it’s all paid off. It’s first and foremost a home and it’s surreal to see what it’s currently valued at. I’d welcome a price correction if it meant we could return to a saner property market where people don’t have to work themselves to death to purchase a basic human need and right. Recent purchases in our street have largely been made by affluent London families who made huge profits selling up and find after moving North that they could easily outbid locals and push prices even further out of their reach. Despite our very modest wages and frugal ways, I’ve never felt so middle class! The joys of accidentally being born at the “right” time.

Our house is worth exactly zero to us. It isn't going to be sold until the last of us goes, so we will not benefit.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving it to our sole grandchild.

seeing these workers / retired workers as the problem strikes me as going right along with the tories' divide and rule / race to the bottom / level down agenda.

Are people doing that though? Isn't it possible to say 'homeowners (of whatever class) have certain material interests' without that meaning 'these people are the enemy/problem/scumbags/whatever'? I think that's what people are trying to get at at least.

Are people doing that though? Isn't it possible to say 'homeowners (of whatever class) have certain material interests' without that meaning 'these people are the enemy/problem/scumbags/whatever'? I think that's what people are trying to get at at least.
Yep. And the problem is the system that creates those conflicting sets of interests, often coexisting and contradicting each other within the same individual or family's circumstances. That's where the 'divide and rule' comes in.

To me, this kind of analysis is attempting to do the opposite - it is identifying and stressing common interests between the majority of the population, even where certain differences may exist. The Corbynite slogan 'for the many, not the few' may have sounded trite, but I don't think it necessarily is. Seems to me to be a pretty good way to try to build a movement. After all, what we have seen over the last 40-odd years is an acceleration in wealth of a minority away from, and at the expense of, the rest of the population.

Plus of course, it is silly to have a go at individuals for making certain choices when all they were presented with was a set of rotten options and they just chose the least rotten one. I don't see anyone doing that, though.

Cream or icecream dilemma.

I used to attack a bowl of ice cream with my spoon to try and partially melt it as I thought it tasted better. My sister did also. My dad would get annoyed and called it “a pig’s trick.” 😂
Not sure what his problem was. Probably the sound of the spoons hammering against the bowls annoyed him as he was trying to watch Match of the Day or whatever.

Oh yeah apple crumble as well. Our neighbour used to give my mum a couple of bags of cooking apples every year. We had a quince tree in the garden. Was a normal suburban south London terrace house.

We had an apple tree and while I hated the filling the crumble bit was always lush. Got used to baked apples now though, maybe it was just the tree in garden.

Rhubarb can fuck off.

Vienetta was always a treat - usually at Boxing Day round my uncles. Doesn’t taste the same now. Probably Blair’s fault.

Back
Top Bottom