Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lives in a van? Or wants to?

Here's one a little larger. Florry....https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/florry-the-lorry-covid-19-stuck-driveway-878835

Found it! The van with my name on it. The £300,000 Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation Maxus V90 Villa Edition has a pop up first floor which you reach in a lift.

The base van has evolved from the Sherpa. SAIC bought LDV in 2010. SAIC,which is state-owned, also bought MG and sells cars which have evolved from the Rover 75. They own the Woodbridge plant in Birmingham but they don't build anything there any more.

The transparent TV is also a Chinese product. £5,500. Xiaomi unveils ludicrous transparent OLED TV – and it's actually going on sale).

I, for one, welcome our new Van Life overlords.

39561708-9282665-The_television_is_see_through_to_enable_it_to_be_used_as_a_windo-a-108_1613892215191.jpg

Ten grand gets you a 2016 Euro 6 Transit with 100,000 miles on the clock. For the same money you could have this 25,000 mile German fire engine. Pre '81, so ULEZ and tax exempt. And if you remove the pump, roof rack and blue lights it's small enough for a Lambeth residents permit

c46c2dc2b50662a2aa43281915482d6061f31b6d.jpeg

If you're going to go mad you might as well get a Kurzhauber.

Found it! The van with my name on it. The £300,000 Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation Maxus V90 Villa Edition has a pop up first floor which you reach in a lift.

The base van has evolved from the Sherpa. SAIC bought LDV in 2010. SAIC,which is state-owned, also bought MG and sells cars which have evolved from the Rover 75. They own the Woodbridge plant in Birmingham but they don't build anything there any more.

The transparent TV is also a Chinese product. £5,500. Xiaomi unveils ludicrous transparent OLED TV – and it's actually going on sale).

I, for one, welcome our new Van Life overlords.

39561708-9282665-The_television_is_see_through_to_enable_it_to_be_used_as_a_windo-a-108_1613892215191.jpg

Wasn't one iteration of the Sherpa van built on an MGB chassis ?

these have more obvious useable space in them than the Alphard
I'm not sure there's much in it once you strip the Alphard of the seats and door panels and roof-mounted TVs. I need to find out the cost of importing oneself and whether there are any good opportunities at auctions. JDMAuctionWatch | Performance Cars Direct from Japan The UK dealers always buy Alphards in mint condition, but if you're going to gut it, maybe you can get a good deal on a scruffy one? I also want to look at Hiace auction prices. I think a lot of the ones at auction are ULEZ. The LWB ones are 5.38 m long and usually have a roof that's high, but not too high. There are about a bazillion versions in Japan.

Good price, quite high mileage. That one doesn't come up in my searches on Autotrader for some reason, so thanks for the link!

I can book a test drive on one in Southampton but that feels too far away for lockdown rules at the moment. It's difficult because if i can actually get my hands on one without breaking too many rules, it would give me something to do for the next couple of months.

I also want to look at Hiace auction prices. I think a lot of the ones at auction are ULEZ. The LWB ones are 5.38 m long and usually have a roof that's high, but not too high. There are about a bazillion versions in Japan.

I do like the Hiace but there aren't many of them around.

I can book a test drive on one in Southampton but that feels too far away for lockdown rules at the moment. It's difficult because if i can actually get my hands on one without breaking too many rules, it would give me something to do for the next couple of months.

How can they offer a test drive at the moment? I don't think you'd gert away with saying you are buying a home, even if the van would be one.

How can they offer a test drive at the moment? I don't think you'd gert away with saying you are buying a home, even if the van would be one.
Well garages are still open for repairs and I suppose if your car broke down, you would need to buy another one. They said I had to give them a £99 fully refundable deposit, presumably to deter the non serious. It's less than an hour to Southampton from here, plenty of people do it as a commute, so I'm unlikely to get stopped, but it isn't really local. It's all about distance and your conscience really.

I'm also hunting for a van at the moment. For festivals, rather than living in.

I've spent a couple of evenings on the internet and have a short list of about 15 vans :hmm: I have conflicting demands - I'd like it big enough for a fixed bed and a loo, high top so I can stand up in it, but it would be handy if it was small enough to park on the drive and take to Sainsbury's.

I keep thinking I should change take go for one of those Alphards or a Bongo and just get a porta potti, but there's no room once the bed is down is there?

The biggest problem is viewing them at the moment, obviously.

I'd love to just buy a second hand, L2H2 Transit and convert it myself, but I haven't got the time, nor a shred of experience or ability at that sort of thing.

If you remove the passenger seat you could have the porta potti there. But I suppose you want the passenger seat for festivals. Or you could make one corner of the bed base removable and put the potti there. Roll back a corner of the mattress when you want to use it. Or, if the van already has a kitchen, remove some of it for the potti. I'm sure there are lots of other ways to fit a potti in when the bed is down.

What's on your short list?

What's on your short list?

I have a spreadsheet.

Links to the website, colour coded, make, year, mileage, facilities. Sortable to list by year/price/mileage/ etc. :thumbs:

I'm not averse to doing a bit of work. I'm coming round to the idea of using the sink too.

(TBH - at the moment, I'm really just trying to get an idea of what I can get within my limited budget, with a view to getting out and looking at vans when the covid position is better. I've been at it for a couple of weeks and only one van I was interested in has been sold in that time - I might have bought that one if it had been nearer)

I keep thinking I should change take go for one of those Alphards or a Bongo and just get a porta potti, but there's no room once the bed is down is there?

In the Bongo, once the bed is down, there is a gap of about 30cm. You can make a little wooden platform to extend the dickie seat so that you can balance a loo on it. My solution of balancing it on a wilko storage crate was not a good one. The Alphard is about 50cm longer and so there is room for the toilet.

I got rid of my Bongo because a) no room for toilet b) R&R bed was difficult to put up and uncomfortable to sit on c) the pop top wasn't high enough for an adult to sleep in (although the ones with the AFT are taller) and d) it was too old to be reliable.

I was looking at a L2H2 but wanting to drive in London and insisting on an automatic makes it more than I want to pay. The i800 could work as a compromise for me - newer and bigger than the Bongo, available as an automatic and more mpg than the Alphard. Just get a bench bed, an Ikea play kitchen and go.

1614496947422.png

Here's a 1981 Fiat. ULEZ exempt 1981 Fiat 238 Laika For Sale | Car And Classic I've asked the owner for more info but am slightly discouraged by the weedy engine. Probably doesn't manage much over 60 mph. Quite a good size, but more than 2.1 metres high...does that mean no to car parks?
More of a concern is the length - aren't there restrictions of the length of vehicle you can get a residents parking permit for in London? And how will you get your bike into that?

Weedy engine equals better fuel economy?

I think it would be within the 5.3m length limit, but I've asked the owner. And I've asked him about mpg.

To get the motorbike in I might have to enlarge the side door. Which I'm sure would be doable. Or even put a big door in the back. If it was hinged at the top it would make for a good outdoor shower.

This whole living in a van thing will probably be necessary when a load of people find themselves homeless. For a lot of people like me though, it's not affordable and never will be.

Back
Top Bottom