Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lives in a van? Or wants to?

Been looking for ages, prices shot up recently! With the trendy insta van life twats and pandemic
Funny seeing precious idiots get shot down in proper campervan groups when they try to get £15k+ for a not very well done luton :D

But at around 44K (their prices don't include VAT) it's a dream unless we sell the house. Which I might.

Or start with something which costs 10% of that: 1994 Mercedes 308d AUTOMATIC t1 vario minibus campervan motorhome camper base | eBay It's done 166,000 miles. Room for the bike, the motorbike and the cat food.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'd happily do it. I'd too keep it very simple. I'd probably go for a posh camping stove instead of a microwave.
I have a double gas ring inside the van and a camping stove. I'd rather cook outside tbh if I can. I do also have a mini oven/grill I use on hook up :oops:

One of the big problems is how easy it is for the police to nick a van dweller for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. You might be parked up having a beer with your dinner then bab you’re nicked. This then fucks you completely.

Or start with something which costs 10% of that: 1994 Mercedes 308d AUTOMATIC t1 vario minibus campervan motorhome camper base | eBay It's done 166,000 miles. Room for the bike, the motorbike and the cat food.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
I am fairly sure this was the episode where someone converts one of these into a retirement home for her and her cat George Clarke's Amazing Spaces Box Set: George Clarke's Amazing Spaces Box Set - On Demand
If not, there is certainly lots of inspiration in the series. I wouldn't mind going traveling like that for a while.
We have lots of transit style vans and trailers around here which builders are living in; the things stink!
If you are taking your poor cat with you, would said cat be happy being stuck in the van while you are either driving or out cycling?

The cat has to be with me when cycling or motorcycling. We are joined at the hip. She must never be unhappy. That's the starting point. As I said upthread she hasn't tried cycling or motorcycling yet, but she likes cars/tube/buses, so I'm optimistic. We shall see.

The idea of a campervan does appeal to me. But not too live in full time. I could imagine doing a month or so touring about. The issue seems to be scale. In order to have more than just an oversized car that you can sleep in, you need a big vehicle to fit the shower and toilet, etc. (Or you pay mega bucks for an actual camper). And then you have the issue of having to drive the thing around little lanes and villages. As well as having to move your whole house to get a loaf of bread.

I know loads of people who rent out their houses/flats during the summer for extraordinary amounts of money and van life it

I’ve got a sleepable van and it hasn’t seen a duvet since 2018

I keep thinking about it but I like my baths and sofas too much I think

come the apocalypse I’ll happily live ala van till then less so
One of the big problems is how easy it is for the police to nick a van dweller for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. You might be parked up having a beer with your dinner then bab you’re nicked. This then fucks you completely.

Is it really, I’ve never come across anyone who has been pulled for this
There is a lot of chat about it online but ultimately it doesn’t appear to happen alot

happy to be corrected.

For a while I slept in the back seats of a car and plod would always come along in the dead of night, shine torches into my face and demand that I identify myself. Usually at about 3am this would happen.

My favourite starting point (today) is the Toyota Alphard. Eight seater "luxury MPV." A Japan-only model, so you import it. V. popular in the UK. There's a ULEZ-compliant hybrid 2.4 litre version which is rather like a Prius but with three electric motors. It can have a fridge etc. put in without extra batteries and chargers. Selectable 4WD. £5,500 gets you a 56,000 miler. No rust because Japan. Allegedly. Or get one already fitted out as a camper for £20-£30k.

7dedb600dc884f92a8db4b2ca08f3b1c.jpg

97d7a9cb431d43a2901c1e6490bb5071.jpg

f92d0e903ca2422c8e18a84d2cfc9535.jpg

You can add a high roof and end up with a 4 bed camper van.

CampervanCoAlphard_06-scaled-scaled.jpg

54875896.jpg

I've recently sold my Mazda Bongo and have been looking for something a little bit bigger. Finally straw was sitting in a field in a howlng gale with the roof down as it was too dangerous to out it up, my belongings squeezed n the van as my storage tent had blown down. If you are going to travel on your own, you have to be able to 'lounge' comfortably of an evening and those rock & roll beds are really uncomfortable to sit on.

But it looks like I'm going to have to buy a van and do/organise the conversion as I can't really find what I want. A few years back i would happily have had a go at the conversion myself but I'm not sure I have the energy now.

I've been looking at Alphards too David Clapson, downside is that are very thirsty on petrol. I spoke to dealer about them this morning, he said 2007 onwards are ULEZ compliant. He recommended I talk to Northstar conversions on the Isle of Wight.

I bought a van in September to go cycling in. I've never done anything like this before and generally think of myself as being shit at DIY and practical stuff but started converting it by looking at pictures of others and following a few groups on Facebook. It's a Transit Connect LWB with high roof and absolutely fine for 1. There's a massive thing for them in the states so loads of stuff to go off. They cost a fortune there. Mine cost £2k with 70k on the clock and they can easy reach 200k. The conversion will cost less than £500.

The plan is to see how much use I get out of it and look at something bigger in 2/3 years when I'll take a 2 year sabbatical from work and maybe buy something bigger to live in. Brexit and the 90 day limit in Europe have fucked things up a bit mind.

PXL_20210125_120023075.jpgPXL_20210125_165936494.jpgPXL_20210125_120509383.jpg

I've recently sold my Mazda Bongo and have been looking for something a little bit bigger. Finally straw was sitting in a field in a howlng gale with the roof down as it was too dangerous to out it up, my belongings squeezed n the van as my storage tent had blown down. If you are going to travel on your own, you have to be able to 'lounge' comfortably of an evening and those rock & roll beds are really uncomfortable to sit on.

But it looks like I'm going to have to buy a van and do/organise the conversion as I can't really find what I want. A few years back i would happily have had a go at the conversion myself but I'm not sure I have the energy now.

I've been looking at Alphards too David Clapson, downside is that are very thirsty on petrol. I spoke to dealer about them this morning, he said 2007 onwards are ULEZ compliant. He recommended I talk to Northstar conversions on the Isle of Wight.

Aha! I've been on their site a lot lately! It's a shame about the mpg. But there are very few hybrid choices. And I wouldn't be too happy with a diesel. Some people add an LPG option. Which isn't any cleaner than petrol but allegedly you get the equivalent of 70-80 mpg.

What do you mean by rock and roll bed?

I bought a van in September to go cycling in. I've never done anything like this before and generally think of myself as being shit at DIY and practical stuff but started converting it by looking at pictures of others and following a few groups on Facebook. It's a Transit Connect LWB with high roof and absolutely fine for 1. There's a massive thing for them in the states so loads of stuff to go off. They cost a fortune there. Mine cost £2k with 70k on the clock and they can easy reach 200k. The conversion will cost less than £500.

The plan is to see how much use I get out of it and look at something bigger in 2/3 years when I'll take a 2 year sabbatical from work and maybe buy something bigger to live in. Brexit and the 90 day limit in Europe have fucked things up a bit mind.

View attachment 252649View attachment 252650View attachment 252651
When you fit the wood, how do you allow for the flex in the van body and the bumps in the road? Do you resign yourself to lots of squeaking and creaking?

You can pick up high mileage campers (120-200k) that have been really well looked after for £5k-£10k Join Facebook groups - you'll see vehicles for sale there that don't pop up up on autotrader/ebay etc. There's a company in the midlands that sells ex-minibuses like the ones you posted upthread - about 5k gets you the basic bus.

Don't try and buy a VW; prices are fucking ridiculous. I've got a 2011 VW T5 with 187k on it and I'm in 2 minds about what to do with it. On one hand it's LWB, got a sunroof, it's already soundproofed(ish) and it's got a half decent sound system. It's also been remapped and the bodywork's dented so I don't have to be precious about it. Otoh, 187k miles plus it's damp inside, it smells and it repels my womenfolk who have point blank refused to sleep in it in its current state. Starts every time, pulls like a train, can fit everything in it though. A new engine+interior = c.£8k-£15k depending on mileage/finish. Spend that much money on an old vehicle? Dunno. A non-stinky VW van with decent spec, mileage under 80k and less than 5 or 6 years old = £20k+ at the moment.

Not sure why the van's so smelly.

Oh hang about.

50747350938_2e717a5373_c.jpg

I have a landscape photographer friend who has a van, kitted out to sleep and store kit.
It is pretty basic but he only does short trips in it.

When you fit the wood, how do you allow for the flex in the van body and the bumps in the road? Do you resign yourself to lots of squeaking and creaking?

Tbh I haven't noticed it being a problem. The panelling is only 7mm thick and if anything it's quieter than the standard van with all the insulation etc.

Aha! I've been on their site a lot lately! It's a shame about the mpg. But there are very few hybrid choices. And I wouldn't be too happy with a diesel. Some people add an LPG option. Which isn't any cleaner than petrol but allegedly you get the equivalent of 70-80 mpg.

What do you mean by rock and roll bed?

LPG is getting less easy to find unfortunately.

The guy at JAL is supposed to be quite a personaity, but if you can deal with his total lack of social skills, he will sell you a decent vehicle.

R&R is where the back seats fold down into a bed. Great if you want to carry 4 people as they have seat belts, but like sitting on a train, not comfortable. And some have thin, hard and uncomfortable cushions.

Last edited:
LPG is getting less easy to find unfortunately.

The guy at JAL is supposed to be quite a personaity, but if you can deal with his total lack of social skills, he will sell you a decent vehicle.

R&R is where the back seats fold down into a bed. Great if you want to carry 4 people as they have seat belts, but like sitting on a train, not comfortable. And some have thin, har and uncomfortable cushions.
What a rubbish idea for sleeping. I would want to take all the seats out so I can have a proper memory foam mattress on a smooth base. Got to have a comfy bed.

So you've already ruled out LPG? Is it hard to find on the Continent?

Back
Top Bottom