Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lives in a van? Or wants to?

Nice - I've got 2 rows of seats though so need something to fold back to allow the seats to go back in. As I carry loads of stuff around, the 'bed' needs to be a luggage rack for the rest of the time. Aren't you LWB too? That's a very important 30cm...

Also - where did you get your window blinds? Any good? I was looking at some today but £70?!
Honestly can't remember. At the time, just getting hold of some was a result.

They don't fit very well and light gets in around the edges, so I wouldn't recommend them any way. I may get one of those wrap around things that goes on the outside, for use in better weather.

I have no idea where my car is. The ship I thought it was on - the ship which the shipping agency told the agent that the car was on - came to Southampton weeks ago and offloaded. No car. Then the agency said the car was due to arrive 3 days ago. I've heard nothing.

I have no idea where my car is. The ship I thought it was on - the ship which the shipping agency told the agent that the car was on - came to Southampton weeks ago and offloaded. No car. Then the agency said the car was due to arrive 3 days ago. I've heard nothing.
1630444237375.png

I'm going to go and see a bloke who's got this set up in his T5. Cheapish (c £400) + I only have to take the single seat out, fold the double flat and put a mattress on. Just have to put 2 fixings in on the wheel arches, otherwise it uses existing fixing points. Also means it stays in the van as I can stack stuff in/on/under it.

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 14.05.44.pngScreenshot 2021-09-01 at 14.06.56.pngScreenshot 2021-09-01 at 14.11.50.png

Last edited:
As humans have generally developed houses to live in and vehicles to travel in, I prefer to live in a house. I would happily have a van for transport though and the occasional night out.

bought the Elgrand for £7,370. So my fate is sealed. It will be here in 10 weeks or so...
2010 elgrand highway star premium, 11 year old, 114,000 mile car.

YZW3Qtq.jpg

lWNSr7H.jpg

dFZ5oHG.jpg
Woohoo! It's at the docks! Got to get insured so I can pick it up. No registration, so no number plates, but the shipping people say I can get it insured just with a chassis number and drive it legally if I have a MoT appointment, which I don't need to show up for. Sounds so simple. :hmm: Perhaps I should buy one of those portable power pack jump starty toys?

Woohoo! It's at the docks! Got to get insured so I can pick it up. No registration, so no number plates, but the shipping people say I can get it insured just with a chassis number and drive it legally if I have a MoT appointment, which I don't need to show up for. Sounds so simple. :hmm: Perhaps I should buy one of those portable power pack jump starty toys?
Yay, at last!

Where do you pick it up from. If Southampton, I have one of those jump starty thing.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover it now, when it's a standard car, and later, when it's a DIY conversion? Or should I just not worry about the 'later' stage until it happens?

I've learned from biking to never make a claim. Just suck it up, mend it with used parts and ponder how not to fuck up next time. Insurance is just a tax. Make it as small as possible. TPO will do.

Excellent it's here! Have you joined any model specific fb groups or similar? Quite a few have deals with insurers so you can get discounts etc.

eta I'm in Southampton if you need any help btw.

Can I use this in the van with the windows cracked or will I die?

Be very careful, even drafty vehicles can be dangerous with gas. Old raving mate Max de Calais from DK Le Sound died a couple of years ago sleeping at a party in northern France with the engine running on his car, exhaust leaked in and he never woke up :(

My 2022/2023 project is to get a van.

Have a VW Transporter for work stuffs and it is great to drive.

Get it next and pay it off asap. It can store a tent or have some sort of awning no doubt.

Screenshot_20210921-104222_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Then start a slow conversion to camper ish

Thinking about doing a good kitchen, storage and such rather than a bed :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom