Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lives in a van? Or wants to?

Am I right in thinking anything before 2017 isn't ULEZ compliant?
It depends on the make and whether it is diesel or petrol. But around 16/17 for diesel and most vans are diesel. Some MPVs, like the Toyota Alphard and El Grand, are petrol and can be much older (2007?) and still compliant. So Euro6 for diesel and Euro4 for petrol. If it's compliant, the advert will usually say so in big letters!

and after my little rant up thread this afternoon about how hard it is to get a van these days, I've just bought one, touch wood. Deposit paid anyway. :thumbs: :):thumbs:

It's Euro4, but I'm not in a ULEZ, and it's not going to do a lot of mileage. Looks great - the guy has over blinged it for me - there's stuff like a bed in the pop-up roof, that I will never use, but, having spent hours on ebay and Gumtree, with spreadsheets comparing prices, mileage etc, I was happy with the price.

It does look good - mrs mx was a bit worried about me buying something that was an embarrassment in the drive, but this looks almost as good as the £40k T6s outside the posh houses round the corner.

The only tip I can give anyone at the moment, is check ebay/gumtree etc constantly, and move quick when you see one you like at the right price.

I paid the asking price, as, if I hadn't, the next person who saw it would have done. Another buyer had an appointment an hour before me, but cancelled. He had five more people coming over the weekend. They will be very pissed off. If it wasn't for the mileage, I'd be feeling a bit guilty for the steal, frankly.

So, one very happy bunny tonight.

Bit of a derail given this is a thread about live in vans - sorry. We should have a campervans thread as well.

I might be renting this to take the wife and kids away for a weekend. No experience whatsoever, what do I need to know?
View attachment 265665
The toilet is for peeing in but no poos...

They normally drive better with the water tank completely full or completely empty, you can feel 100 L sloshing around in a 250 tank.

Convince the kids it's an adventure to empty the toilet cassette.

The toilet is for peeing in but no poos...

They normally drive better with the water tank completely full or completely empty, you can feel 100 L sloshing around in a 250 tank.

Convince the kids it's an adventure to empty the toilet cassette.
Failing that, having a few pairs of nitrile gloves around to use when emptying the cassette does wonders for the sense of revulsion at pouring out 20 litres of piss and liquefied shit.

ETA: and don't be tempted to bring it indoors to empty down the bog. The miasma of highly-perfumed bog juice and excrement lingers for a disappointingly long time.

I would love to do this but know it's realistically many years off in terms of having time to do the conversion (kids) - and convincing wife that it would be fun.

Part of me is very curious how you insulate the things to avoid them becoming a massive mould colony due to perspiration/respiration.

I would love to do this but know it's realistically many years off in terms of having time to do the conversion (kids) - and convincing wife that it would be fun.

Part of me is very curious how you insulate the things to avoid them becoming a massive mould colony due to perspiration/respiration.
Scratch your conversion itch by watching loads of van conversion videos, and you will find answers to this question, and questions you hadn't even thought of asking...

The IVEAVAN bloke isn't a bad place to start: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv7gidRcXp--Vp1Ac5GQP3w

Personally, I am increasingly convinced by the idea of sheep's wool, which has the advantage of being able to absorb a surprising amount of moisture and then evaporating it off again. Requires a very different approach to vapour barriers. The conventional approach is to line the bit between the outer and inner skins of the van with the very materials that cause tower blocks to burn, and then install a vapour barrier (reflective bubble-wrap, taped at every seam and join). Both have their merits.

It also happens that, around this way, farmers can't give wool away...

If you have a pre1992 driving license, a 7.5ton horsebox can be had for less than 2 grand. I paid 1250 for my Leyland Daf...but more important (for me) was the red cedar cladding. I am way out of my comfort zone, dealing with metal, but had no problems cutting new windows and insulating what is basically an 8 x27foot cabin with wheels. Because of the weight regs, these larger horseboxes can be had much cheaper than even a transit or Luton...and with a Cummings nautical engine, it is extremely robust (although we did manage to wreck the clutch and can now only move in reverse).
Parking could be an issue in town though (although we parked ours, in central Cambridge, for weeks while we worked on it.
My daughter used sheepwool to insulate her transit, @existentialisr...and when I do more work on the cladding, I will probably strip out the Celtex and swap over to wool.

and after my little rant up thread this afternoon about how hard it is to get a van these days, I've just bought one, touch wood. Deposit paid anyway. :thumbs: :):thumbs:

It's Euro4, but I'm not in a ULEZ, and it's not going to do a lot of mileage. Looks great - the guy has over blinged it for me - there's stuff like a bed in the pop-up roof, that I will never use, but, having spent hours on ebay and Gumtree, with spreadsheets comparing prices, mileage etc, I was happy with the price.

It does look good - mrs mx was a bit worried about me buying something that was an embarrassment in the drive, but this looks almost as good as the £40k T6s outside the posh houses round the corner.

The only tip I can give anyone at the moment, is check ebay/gumtree etc constantly, and move quick when you see one you like at the right price.

I paid the asking price, as, if I hadn't, the next person who saw it would have done. Another buyer had an appointment an hour before me, but cancelled. He had five more people coming over the weekend. They will be very pissed off. If it wasn't for the mileage, I'd be feeling a bit guilty for the steal, frankly.

So, one very happy bunny tonight.

Bit of a derail given this is a thread about live in vans - sorry. We should have a campervans thread as well.
Post a pic please, really want to see the bling inside.
How much? (If you don't mind saying)

Picking it up tomorrow. It’s not blingy blingy just a lot smarter and neater than I would have done. I’d just have ply walls for example- this one has that felt stuff. And it’s very grey. It needs a bit of colour.

Saw a professional modern van conversion parked up by the market in the neighbouring town this afty, maybe taking off here now too. Car touring been a thing already for a while.

Having spent literally months trying to stop my sliding window from leaking and refusing to spend £300 to get it replaced with a fixed on, I’ve decided I’m just going to glue the bastard thing up with sikaflex

just visited to empty van of free dive clobber and he said.....it’s going on the ramp tuesday........I don’t hold much hope for that but at least I’ve reminded the fucker
It looks like the only way you'll ever get it sorted is if you keep a fire lit under their arse.

Since you asked kalidarkone heres a couple of pics. 6DCB9A6C-CC89-4AAD-87A3-4CED4B7BE36F.jpeg734CBFE3-5BA8-429D-9D00-1CAB1D625493.jpeg
I bought it half done. The guy ran out of money and urgently needed cash for something else Picked it up yesterday. There’s no bed and the electric needs finishing, but that was built into the price. Pop top if that’s not obvious.

Since you asked kalidarkone heres a couple of pics. View attachment 267075View attachment 267076
I bought it half done. The guy ran out of money and urgently needed cash for something else Picked it up yesterday. There’s no bed and the electric needs finishing, but that was built into the price. Pop top if that’s not obvious.
Much too neat, you'll be needing a few crochet blankets, bunting and fairy lights to boho that up.

Back
Top Bottom