Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

who is responsible for the London attacks?

what on earth has the george cross, the scottish thistle or the welsh whatever got to do with it. We are currently suffering from political correctness gone mad in this country. The BBC refuses to use the word 'terrorist' and rewrites the PM's speech because he uses that word. We will not solve this problem by going into denial about the causes.

The Guardian claims that 13% of muslims in this country sympathise with Al Qaeda. Why? I really wish someone could explain this to me.

I don't claim to have the answer but unless this is tackled then we are going to have big big problems. People should not have to worry about whether the bloke sitting beside them is a suicide bomber. It's also no good reading that these terrorists were seemingly nice guys. What kind of nice guy blows himself up and leaves his wife with an 8 month old baby. And the others couldnt have had much regard for their poor families. Think what hell they are going to go through.

gunner

gunneradt said:
The Guardian claims that 13% of muslims in this country sympathise with Al Qaeda. Why? I really wish someone could explain this to me.

I don't claim to have the answer but unless this is tackled then we are going to have big big problems. People should not have to worry about whether the bloke sitting beside them is a suicide bomber.

gunner

I dont know why, I'll have to read the full guardian article about that to see more details. But I could speculate that the term 'sympathise' is quite broad and could therefore include people who have sympathy with one or more of the causes that Al Q & friends try to use to justify their actions. eg Palestine/Israel situation. Or foreign aggression against certain Muslim countries. On the otherhand if they support/sympathise with the tactics of the terrorists, thats a different kettle of fish.

I dont claim to have any magic answers either, but personally I would engage in a policy of isolation. Solve the issues that terrorists claim are the cause of their actions, remove the injustices that could gain them more support, and you cutoff a lot of their ability to get new recruits.

The reverse of this process is what people fear has happened when they talk of the Iraq war making terrorist attacks more likely. Its hardly just lefties that say this stuff, as some British Ambassador said that Iraq war had acted as a recruiting tool for terrorists.

The above is one element of a sucessful war on terror. It may be unpalatable to those who favour strong action, but its extremely necessary. Tough actions can be used to disrupt funding channels, weapons supply, organised networks, state sponsors etc. But if after a few years of a war on terror the terror seems worse, despite hitting terrorists hard on several fronts with force, its probably because the tough action has increased the potential number of humans willing to be terrorists.

As for the background of the homegrown terrorists, in many cases it seems eerily similar to what happens to dissafected/disconnected people of other cultures. Theres no shortage of non-muslim fundamentalists across the political spectrum, and of people who do not feel like they belong to mainstream elements of society, so join fringe groups rather than remain isolated. If a million people support a certain cause, you will find a very small percentage willing to go further and use violence of one kind or another. Clearly in the case of the current terror, the violence is so bad that many people arent generally inclined to compare these acts to less-extreme cases of people using violence for a cause, nor to violence that states commit. But if we really want to understand the terrorists so we can end the problem (even war hawks understand the concept of `know your enemy`), we need to use comparison as an analytical tool instead of the old 'we cannot understand this evil, its just too evil to comprehend'

Regarding numbers of people willing to commit-suicide in non-aggressive ways, yes I remember a BBC headline that more people commit suicide than are killed by war.

I really think there's something fundamentally wrong about how young men are brought up and treated by society. It doesn't help to call them "evil".

Add the other factors and what might have been some other form of delinquancy or just plain suicide becomes something so much worse ...

These men actually believed in something - they aren't mindless NF football yobs ...

gunneradt said:
no but it doesnt make them any better. There can never be any excuses.

gunner

but do we actually want to stop this happening again ?

All the military might of Israel, and the Americans in Iraq can't stop suicide bombers ... what next ? - a police state ?

OK maybe it's a wakeup call for the muslim community to admit to what they've been allowing to happen in their midst too ... everyone has to play their part ..

Ryazan said:
That is it. It is just seems to me anyway, from the information available, as some phantom with no real base. it is just gets mentioned all the time, but there are no decent references to make me support the belief that it is an actual organisation.

I wonder who made the name up?

oi2002 said:
That's a peceptive comment. The Jihad is a cult like guy thing. Sitting arround, with football socks drying on the radiator, gradually hyping themselves up to martrydom.

So now you're saying it's a jihad, are you?

gentlegreen said:
but do we actually want to stop this happening again ?

All the military might of Israel, and the Americans in Iraq can't stop suicide bombers ... what next ? - a police state ?

OK maybe it's a wakeup call for the muslim community to admit to what they've been allowing to happen in their midst too ... everyone has to play their part ..

I think the muslim community has to play a big big part in stopping this.

gunner

gunneradt said:
I think the muslim community has to play a big big part in stopping this.

gunner

I think they are at an earlier stage than the "Christians" at putting the priests in their place ....

But there are so many other factors - there is genuine injustice in the muslim world, there does appear to be a capitalist / "Christian" "Crusade" going on ....

We have the potential of something brilliant in the UK a synthesis of influences we Brits have been absorbing for hundreds of years ... so much to lose ......

but the muslim community cannot afford to sit back and avoid some level of share in this. Interviews with muslims on tv this evening have confirmed that they believe this too - they believe their ideologies are to blame in some way. Something brilliant in the uk should not include innocent people being blown up on their way to work.

gunner

gunneradt said:
but the muslim community cannot afford to sit back and avoid some level of share in this. Interviews with muslims on tv this evening have confirmed that they believe this too - they believe their ideologies are to blame in some way. Something brilliant in the uk should not include innocent people being blown up on their way to work.

gunner

How does a community share blame for the covert actions of unrepresentative individuals?

exosculate said:
How does a community share blame for the covert actions of unrepresentative individuals?

they are basically young men

Suicide rate of young men roughly equals road deaths (most of which caused by young men no doubt) 6,000 deaths ....

They had been - as has been shown, quite well behaved as children ...

The outcome was just more extreme ..

And yes, consider Columbine - which event seems more "mindless" in the end ?.

exosculate said:

I'm repeating what representatives have said. We are a nation of free speech but free speech should not include incitement to act like this in any form.

gunner

gunneradt said:
I'm repeating what representatives have said. We are a nation of free speech but free speech should not include incitement to act like this in any form.

gunner

Yes - I'd agree with that , but we live in a wired world .. you can find plenty of hate of all kinds on the internet .... even "banned" stuff ... and that often appeals to the young ..

gunneradt said:
yes I agree but this is more than that. We all know the type of people we are talking about here.

gunner

I have always been an outsider - never influenced by older males or peers, so I lack experience, but you're saying it's meetings "in the flesh" that make all the difference ?

So far as I could see, some of the influences were of young men visiting Pakistan and simply responding to the injustices ...

Im talking about incitement in this country. There are lots of things I dont like in this world and that I find unjust but I have never once thought of blowing myself up.

gunner

gunneradt said:
Im talking about incitement in this country. There are lots of things I dont like in this world and that I find unjust but I have never once thought of blowing myself up.

gunner

OK chuck out the hate-preachers...

I'm a 45 year old male suffering disillusion / anxiety / depression ... my "thing" is facing-up motorists on my mountain bike and various subtle forms of self-harm ...

They're now saying the explosive was, as I suspected, homemade. They're after a couple of guys who they think planned the attack and then skipped the country, one's an Egyptian Chemistry wonk. Does stink of AQ.

Juan is having a pop at Dubya for putting electioneering before the intelligence war. DC has repeatedly put US domestic politics and the GOP's interest before the GWOT, both battles of Fallujah being notable examples.

I'd not necessarily a causal connection here, the tube is an obvious target and not a particular smart one at that. Separately planned terrorist ops can look very similar, like battles they are shaped by terrain. Cruicially the plans on Noor Khan's laptop involved a wider ranging attack on The City as I recall.

sblaa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom